2013 NCRC National Seminar - Schoharie NY

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: 2013 NCRC National Seminar - Schoharie NY

Postby Stridergdm » May 21, 2013 3:40 pm

scrambler wrote:I can't wait!! New York will be a new state for my "caved all states" list!

Greg, what kind of cave conditions can I expect? Will it be hot, humid and in the 70s (in cave) or can I find a place to cool off?
:cavingrocks:

Let's put it this way. At my first Indiana seminar during the mock (in Corydon) my fellow NY cavers (I was out of commission with a broken toe) were held in awe by some of the other students because they just kept going back for more in the caves. Their take... no different than NY caves.

Temp depending on the cave will be in the 50s or so. Depending on the cave and amount of rain earlier in the week, some will be nearly bone dry. One is walking through water most of the way. The others vary.

So.. yeah.. 70s-90s above ground. 50s below ground. Longest walk I think will be about a 1/2 mile. (one we might use for a smaller class is right next to the road).

And the cliffs.. nice and shaded, great view of the valley.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby shibumi » May 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Those were some of the most awesome cliffs we've had.
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » May 21, 2013 4:18 pm

shibumi wrote:Those were some of the most awesome cliffs we've had.

I was just thinking, I think last summer's were quite nice too.

Definitely better than some we've had!

I still remember my Level 1 there. Dave Ashburn walks up, looks at the haul system that we had rigged and cries "STOP!".

We all stop and then he asks "What's wrong with this?" Everyone, starts to furiously look. I think the instructors were a little concerned they had missed something major.

Finally one of the students (I want to say Rebecca) looks up and says,"Nothing?"

Dave looks over and says, "Ayup. Just wanted to make sure everyone was paying attention. Carry on."
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » May 27, 2013 11:00 am

I emailed Steve H about whether he needed any more instructors for this year. It's true, there will be a very good instructor:student ratio this year. Since I'm committed to coming this year and NOT needed as an instructor, I'll be signing up for TOFE instead! Plus I can catch the Instructor Update and vertical workshop on Friday. See you in New York!
Dr. Jay
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby Stridergdm » May 27, 2013 5:51 pm

caverdoc wrote:I emailed Steve H about whether he needed any more instructors for this year. It's true, there will be a very good instructor:student ratio this year. Since I'm committed to coming this year and NOT needed as an instructor, I'll be signing up for TOFE instead! Plus I can catch the Instructor Update and vertical workshop on Friday. See you in New York!
Dr. Jay

Excellent. TOFE should be fun. Do me a favor, make sure to register for it via RegOnline so I properly track the numbers.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdoc » May 27, 2013 10:50 pm

Greg,
I'll do that before the price goes up.
caverdoc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jay Kennedy
NSS #: 18198
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Kansas City Area Grotto + Carroll Cave Conservancy + WVACS

Postby nathanroser » May 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Registered last Saturday night, can't wait to learn how to yank people out of all the favorite nasty northeastern holes.
nathanroser
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Nathan Roser
NSS #: 62848
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Stridergdm » May 28, 2013 12:41 pm

muddyface wrote:Registered last Saturday night, can't wait to learn how to yank people out of all the favorite nasty northeastern holes.

Ayup. Saw that. You'll have a blast.

Hint number one when pulling people out of holes.

They tend to prefer to come out in the same number of pieces they went into the hole. They're funny that way. :rofl:

Now just get some of your clubmates to sign up so they can pull YOU out of a hole if need be. :-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby ron_miller » May 31, 2013 12:47 am

The recent Ellison's Cave rescue should serve as a reminder to all cavers that major cave rescues can happen at any time, any place there's caves, and to anyone who goes caving. Even though all four TAG cave rescue teams responded, the fact that the accident happened in a very technical cave, on a major holiday weekend when many of our members were away on vacation, meant that we needed a lot of help from strong cavers, and the most useful were the cavers who had completed at least Level 1 NCRC training. NCRC Southeastern Region Coordinator Tim White called NCRC-trained cavers from throughout TAG to respond to this rescue; their assistance was invaluable to achieving a successful outcome!

P.S. Greg: a PA caver on the trip with the individual who fell in Ellison's last weekend expressed an interest in getting cave rescue training; I sent him the link to the 2013 Schoharie course, which he promised to forward to other cavers in his area. Even though the rescue was down here in TAG, you might get some additional students from the northeastern U.S. out of this rescue. Hope the course goes well!
ron_miller
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » May 31, 2013 6:27 am

ron_miller wrote:The recent Ellison's Cave rescue should serve as a reminder to all cavers that major cave rescues can happen at any time, any place there's caves, and to anyone who goes caving. Even though all four TAG cave rescue teams responded, the fact that the accident happened in a very technical cave, on a major holiday weekend when many of our members were away on vacation, meant that we needed a lot of help from strong cavers, and the most useful were the cavers who had completed at least Level 1 NCRC training. NCRC Southeastern Region Coordinator Tim White called NCRC-trained cavers from throughout TAG to respond to this rescue; their assistance was invaluable to achieving a successful outcome!

P.S. Greg: a PA caver on the trip with the individual who fell in Ellison's last weekend expressed an interest in getting cave rescue training; I sent him the link to the 2013 Schoharie course, which he promised to forward to other cavers in his area. Even though the rescue was down here in TAG, you might get some additional students from the northeastern U.S. out of this rescue. Hope the course goes well!

Thanks Ron for the kinds words. I have to say as I was reading all the reports it was interesting to note exactly how many of the names of people I recognized. I had to laugh when I heard about the rappelling counter-balance that included food as ballast! :-)

Seriously though, I'll note the NCRC has a scholarship fund that is was in part endowed by a former patient who was rescued and grateful for the training that saved him.

Unfortunately the scholarships for 2013 have been awarded or else I'd love to suggest folks apply for them (especially for the PA folks!)

That said, I will point out the price goes up by $50 tomorrow. So if you were thinking about attending, today is the day to get off rope and make that decision before it costs you $50 more than it needs to!
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Indymonkey » May 31, 2013 8:27 pm

nothing like waiting the last minute to register before the price goes up.

Im in.... :big grin:
Indymonkey
Occasional Poster

Postby Stridergdm » May 31, 2013 8:56 pm

Indymonkey wrote:nothing like waiting the last minute to register before the price goes up.

Im in.... :big grin:

Don't feel bad. A few others just registered today. :-)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Jun 4, 2013 5:49 pm

BTW,I will point out, that while the price for registration went up $50 on the 1st, we still have plenty of spots open for students in all levels if you're still interested in signing up.

We had 3 Level 2s sign up on Friday alone!

From the Website wrote:LEVEL 2 prepares students to function as cave rescue task force leaders. Participants in Level 2 must have successfully completed an NCRC Level 1 course within the past four years, and must demonstrate retention of key Level 1 exit skills. Students are taught more advanced techniques in medical management, vertical and horizontal rescue, team leadership, and incident management.

Keep in mind the recent Ellison's rescue took over 100 folks. You owe it to yourself and your fellow trainers to get some training.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Jun 10, 2013 10:31 pm

BTW, an update.

Due to low turnout for the Level 3 class, a decision has been made to cancel it for this year. With the small numbers it was decided that we could not teach an effective class and provide the quality of instruction desired.

However, Level 1, 2 and TOFE are definitely a go and there are still spots available in all those classes, so sign up today:

http://www.regonline.com/builder/site/D ... ID=1106220

for details:

http://www.caves.org/commission/ncrc/na ... ar2013.htm
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Discount beer Re: 2013 NCRC National Seminar - Schoharie NY

Postby Stridergdm » Jun 14, 2013 11:47 am

This just in.

Our woman on the ground Emily (of Speleobooks) has just worked out a deal for those of you who finish your checkoffs early or have some free time and want to relax with some suds.

Clappers Glass Bar has offered a .25 discount on all drinks for those with a NCRC name tag or tee shirt. Their regular prices are Beer mug $1.50, Pint $2.00. Most bottles $3.00, Bar liquors $3.75. They may put out some snacks if there is a big group.

The will have a DJ on Friday night.

Of course as always we suggest waiting until AFTER your check-offs are done and of course to drink and cave responsibly. (and for those curious, Clapper's Glass Bar is within walking distance of the school.)

Enjoy.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum