Three boys missing for 45-years and still missing

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Three boys missing for 45-years and still missing

Postby Ernie Coffman » May 29, 2012 10:19 am

This is before most of you started caving...or were even born :rofl: but an interesting article, which I wasn't aware of. The cavers in Missouri, though, probably remember it...if they were caving, that is. http://www.hannibal.net/news/x639960976 ... ing?zc_p=1
The picture of the guy pointing to the highway where the boys might have gone down exploring, got to me right away, for it's so close, but...then, so far away.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Three boys missing for 45-years and still missing

Postby BrianFrank » May 29, 2012 1:36 pm

That is a terrible story. If they were in a cave and it collapsed, then chances are no one will ever find them. Abduction is another possibility, but I hope not.
All TAG cavers join http://www.SCCI.org. A small price for a GREAT resource.
BrianFrank
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Brian
NSS #: 52121
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Bumbalawski » May 29, 2012 5:08 pm

Reminds me of an incident that occured in the late 70's. In western Maryland, the new Interstate 68 was being built. It cut through the top of Martin's Mountain. Some local cavers kept an eye to see if the construction would hit a cave. It did. The cavers arrived before daybreak to explore the newly opened cave. They were in it for about two hours. When they exited, they were met by State officials and the State Police. The State officials and Police were not happy. The construction crew planned to fill that cave the very morning they went in it. Fortunately, one construction worker spotted their car in the area. The Police were called and they waited for them to come out. They could have been buried alive if it were not for that one worker. This story was never published. I talked first hand with the leader of the cavers, Larry Cosgrove, on this story. He remembers the incident like it happened yesterday. I had two friends recently look at two small holes along the same road cut. They were up there for 15 minutes and the State Police were there. They were told not to go up there again or they will be arrested.

Donnie Carns
Bumbalawski
Prolific Poster

Name: Don Carns Jr.
NSS #: 54725
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Western Maryland Grotto

Postby MoleManCOCrawlAholic » Jul 2, 2012 6:56 pm

hmm those road side holes cold be in need of a latenight poke???

hahaha the cave police :bat sticker:
Colorado Crawl-Aholics--- Anonymous since WNS
MoleManCOCrawlAholic
Infrequent Poster

Name: Wesley Devenyns

Postby Bumbalawski » Jul 3, 2012 9:00 pm

Some more info on the story about Md I-68. This concerns the recent event. We looked over the plats for land ownership. We thought it was State property. Well, it belongs to a local quarry. The State Police were called by a local land owner who had nothing to do with the property. The Cop that arrived was the local's friend (how convenient). The local land owner was not the actual property owner. The Cop has been causing lots of problems for the local people since he is a rookie. The Cop thinks he "rules the area". The land ownership thing was our mistsake. We try to do all things legally. Some of the locals think they own the entire area. I am sure it is the same around the country. As for the holes, one is a pit and the other is partially filled with concrete. Both have air.
Bumbalawski
Prolific Poster

Postby daj » Jul 5, 2012 1:16 pm

There is a press photo on ebay right now that I think is about these boys.
Item number: 200787972174
daj
Occasional Poster

Postby Ernie Coffman » Jul 5, 2012 2:52 pm

Someone paid $19.88 for it, which is "the" story. Thanks for that update! Seems like a lot to pay for this photo...unless of course, the boys weren't there and were someplace else--like abducted--and the picture would have brought it back to light for concerns, etc. Interesting, interesting!
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bumbalawski » Jul 5, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks for the research and the photos. I wonder how many unreported cases have occured like this one. I personally avoid construction sites and active quarries when it comes to cave exploration.

Donnie Carns
Beans Cove pa.
Bumbalawski
Prolific Poster

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum