Talk about a Wild Cave Tour!

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Talk about a Wild Cave Tour!

Postby baa43003 » Mar 2, 2012 4:03 pm

Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Re: Talk about a Wild Cave Tour!

Postby shibumi » Mar 2, 2012 4:25 pm

"Had a handline tied to his waist while in the water????"

*sigh*
shibumi
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Mar 2, 2012 7:19 pm

From the link:
"The group was 1 1/2 mile deep inside and had no idea that a wicked storm was raging outside..
He had a hand line with him and we used it to get us through the water, I tied it around my waist and swam through the river, everyone else was following along holding onto the hand-line, when we could stand up we did, other times we were swimming, and the whole time we were in the water it is rising and on top of it the current was very strong," says Forsythe.
The cave says the waters had risen to more than 6 feet once they began to exit the cave with the tour group.
Rather than sitting and hoping it would turn out good, we decided to go in and get the group out safe and I'm glad we did," says Foster.
Everyone made it out of the cave safely, and officials say they are re-assessing their tour protocol."

An Asessment: Checking the weather sounds like a good idea before tour groups enter the cave known to flood. I'm glad everything turned
out well.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Mar 2, 2012 10:25 pm

shibumi wrote:"Had a handline tied to his waist while in the water????"

*sigh*

"Sounded like a good idea at the time."

Seriously, I'd say this is a common mistake many people who aren't familiar with high-water will make.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Mar 2, 2012 11:50 pm

My wife and I did a tour of that cave about 6 months ago. The guide pointed out the high water marks to impress the tourists. Fun!
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum