Let's close a cave. NOT!

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Let's close a cave. NOT!

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 26, 2011 8:52 am

Submitted for your Reading Pleasure.

Sorry if I think this is a bit of an over-reaction.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Re: Let's close a cave. NOT!

Postby Phil Winkler » Oct 26, 2011 9:04 am

What's a hogback?

Never mind. Gotta love google: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogback_%28geology%29
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby LukeM » Oct 26, 2011 9:12 am

Seems like they can't get the difference between a cave and a mine straightened out in their heads. :doh:
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby BrianC » Oct 26, 2011 3:41 pm

I hope that the girl made sure someone wasn't in there before cutting their rope. Another case of the government fixing nature so humans don't get to explore it.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Oct 26, 2011 4:09 pm

I've worked with a variety of people in the AML (Abandoned Mine Lands) program with the BLM, NPS, and state offices. They're good people. Abandoned mines have many dangers that caves don't.

I "get" that one can argue that mines are dangerous (to some folks) and that the same argument can be applied to caves. Nevertheless, manmade features have a variety of reasons that they aren't/should be treated as natural features.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby NZcaver » Oct 26, 2011 5:13 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:I've worked with a variety of people in the AML (Abandoned Mine Lands) program with the BLM, NPS, and state offices. They're good people. Abandoned mines have many dangers that caves don't.

I "get" that one can argue that mines are dangerous (to some folks) and that the same argument can be applied to caves. Nevertheless, manmade features have a variety of reasons that they aren't/should be treated as natural features.

Agreed, but it's not a simple black and white issue. Safety is a relative term. Ergo - not all caves are "safe" and not all mines are "unsafe." It would be rather naive and ignorant to automatically assume all old mines (or caves!) are bad and should be permanently sealed. Very uncool. :down:

By using the terms caves and mine interchangeably, this article is unfortunately yet another example of bad journalism. And I agree with Brian about the woman chopping the rope. I hope there was nobody down below at the time. Can you say "sued for everything you have?" :doh:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum