What piece of Medical Equipment do you want designed?

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

What piece of Medical Equipment do you want designed?

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Ok, short version:
I have access to a BME (bio-medical engineer) Senior at RPI (my alma mater) who is looking for ideas for a senior project. At the OCR this weekend, she expressed an interest in designing something for the cave rescue field.

So, what do we need folks? A better OSS/KED product? A better splint?

Let me know what it is you need and I'll get the ideas to her. I've offered to help her with any details she needs, including field testing.

PM if you wish.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Re: What piece of Medical Equipment do you want designed?

Postby snoboy » Oct 24, 2011 4:50 pm

It might be interesting to see if there is a possibility to commercialize/test the expanding foam/plastic bag splint as mentioned in 'Life on a Line'. I imagine a set of bags that are sized and shaped to accomodate various limbs or full body along with a foam pack.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby NZcaver » Oct 24, 2011 5:04 pm

Perhaps a self-propelled litter? :tonguecheek:
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby self-deleted_user » Oct 24, 2011 5:37 pm

While I'll admit I have no rescue work experience, would something like a heated full body suit be useful? I suspect keeping patients warm is a concern and issue. Perhaps some sort of water-repelling heated ultrathin suit would be cool? I guess of course then you have issue of getting someone into it, and somehow a one-size-fits-all which is neigh impossible. Hrm...sorry that's my silly idea now I'm just thinking of more and more issues with it though.

Oh how about a collapsable compact trolly kind of system? I remember seeing photos of passing the skid across laps, but maybe some sort of "track" that could be used and moved up front as sections were crossed for crawl areas? So instead of passing across laps and having people move up in line, something like that but lower, as legs are gonna be varying heights and taller than what you could make a track to be.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Oct 24, 2011 5:38 pm

A portable triage unit that can be left in Great X (NSS owned cave, WY) and used if necessary as backup for thru trips because a broken leg would be deadly in that cave. Actually a in cave emergency unit/kit that can be left in a cave could be very useful. Hypothermia is a major problem in alpine/sub-alpine caves....
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby caverdan » Oct 24, 2011 6:30 pm

How about a thermo nuclear electric blanket for hypothermia that is as small and light as a plastic trash bag
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 24, 2011 7:11 pm

Two comments:

1) It has to be an item with a commercial potential. (that's a class requirement). So a single use item like the one proposed for Single-X wouldn't work.

2) Let's be realistic. Has to be something they can actually build.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Marduke » Oct 24, 2011 7:22 pm

Maybe a large heat pack, much larger than currently available (to my knowledge). Or maybe even a chemically heated blanket of sorts.

The small little hand warmer packs just don't cut it underground.
Warning: Don't use this forum! Only armchair cavers and trolls reside here.
Marduke
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby paul » Oct 25, 2011 6:21 am

Maybe some sort of cave-proof and compact vital signs monitor?
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby LukeM » Oct 25, 2011 10:33 am

Is there any example of a commercially available medical cave rescue product? I'd say we're a bit too niche here. How about something that's useful for cave rescue but would come in useful for almost all rescue environments? I like the idea of some sort of rescue blanket/thermal protection as others have suggested. Something that's waterproof, warm by itself but can be heated if necessary, and packs down small. Not sure if that's "medical" enough for the class requirements.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Evan G » Oct 25, 2011 10:56 am

Medical app for ipad/ipod/ smartphone with ipod/ipad/smartphone that a bomber/waterproof case can fit on with transmitter/receiver built into the case which in coupling with wireless blood pressure/ heart rate/ etc. also in bomber/waterproof casing which can monitor and record vitals in an extreme environment.

If you incorporated that into app for android phone or iphone you could send all info via cel or email when a cel signal is established to a medical provider with in secs thus transferring a history.
Last edited by Evan G on Oct 25, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 25, 2011 11:51 am

LukeM wrote:Is there any example of a commercially available medical cave rescue product? I'd say we're a bit too niche here. How about something that's useful for cave rescue but would come in useful for almost all rescue environments? I like the idea of some sort of rescue blanket/thermal protection as others have suggested. Something that's waterproof, warm by itself but can be heated if necessary, and packs down small. Not sure if that's "medical" enough for the class requirements.

Strictly speaking you're right. It would need to be something that could be used in other environments besides cave rescue (as that would thankfully never generate many sales ;-)

But think something like a SKED which we use a lot, but also is used extensively outside cave rescue.

Or some of the monitoring stuff people have mentioned.

All good ideas. I hope to get her reading this thread soon.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Frank_Rac » Oct 25, 2011 12:25 pm

Having been in that very same OCR class you speak of and sitting in the cave with both you and her, I kind of feel obligated to chime in.

I'd like to expand on the vital signs aspect. Take something the size of a pulse/ox meter and expand on it to include temperature and blood pressure (and blood glucose- but that'd be pushing it...). Incorporate all that into something the size of a pulse/ox meter (which would make me question the accuracy of temp and bp on a finger) or a simple wrist/ankle band. Portable, easily applied to the patient and accurate.

Your applications are not only cave rescue but also wilderness SAR, urban SAR and multiple casuality incidents.
Complete sets of vital signs given in a matter of seconds.

-F
Frank_Rac
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 63061
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Met Grotto

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 25, 2011 12:52 pm

And, give the monitor bluetooth capability. So, you don't have to uncover or leave any part of the body exposed. Also, it would be easy to monitor the patient during a haul or tight spot.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby paul » Oct 26, 2011 6:30 am

Marduke wrote:Maybe a large heat pack, much larger than currently available (to my knowledge). Or maybe even a chemically heated blanket of sorts.

The small little hand warmer packs just don't cut it underground.

I know the idea is to offer suggestions for Medical Equipment in Cave Rescue, but rather than reinvent the wheel, but in the UK (where underground temparatures are in the mid to low 40's fahrenheit), we generally place the casualty in what is effectively a hooded sleeping bag made of fibre pile (polyester I think like the material used before Polar Fleece, etc. came on the scene) with a nylon cover, then into a stretcher.

This keeps the causalty warm even if damp. If there is a degree of hypothermia we can use a Little Dragon (see http://www.mountain.rescue.org.uk/equipment/medical for a short description) which allows the casualty to breathe warm air and warms them from the inside.

I don't think heat packs or heated blankets would be an improvement on this and would possibly divert from developing something else which would be of tremendous use but not yet available.

Not a criticism, just a suggestion.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Next

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum