Anyone use one of CMC 's MPD device?

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 13, 2011 10:34 pm

Anyone in cave or SAR rescue out there that is using one of CMC's MPD devices? A bit spendy, but quite an instrument. Was wondering what you might think of it and so forth?
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Anyone use one of CMC 's MPD device?

Postby snoboy » Oct 13, 2011 11:05 pm

I have used it several times... so far I like it.

Talked with the inventor of it last weekend at a workshop where we were using it and he gave it the thumbs up for muddy cave use - sounds reasonably easy to service/clean, despite it's apparent complexity.

If you have experience with the 540 - the MPD is WAY easier to belay with.

Any specific questions?
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 15, 2011 10:07 am

Nah, nothing particular Snoboy. I was just wondering if others had gotten involved with this nice rescue tool. See you're up in BC, so have you used this MPD in a cave...or just on the outside, as in rescue? The two CMC guys referred to being up in BC and showing the device around, so thought I'd get more response, but looks like it might not show. Probably because of the big bucks for it! $650 USD is expensive, but it seems to be so much simpler than putting all the other gear together, so...that's about it.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby snoboy » Oct 19, 2011 7:20 pm

I have not used it underground, I have used it in training above ground on 3 different occasions now.

It is an expensive piece of equioment. It is also a little heavy, but if you consider the functions and the gear that it replaces, I believe you will find it is essentially the same weight, if not slightly lighter.

The fact that it is a Descent control Device (DCD), a one way ratchet for hauling and a rescue rated belay device makes it extremely versatile, and makes the operations of changing over so much simpler.

As a DCD it has the advantage of a being autolocking, and being able to easily handle a large range of loads with the twist of a handle.

As a ratchet, it has a very high quality, large diameter pulley, and no drag from a prusik - therefore high efficiency. It also has a becket built in that makes building higher MA systems simpler. Because it is also a DCD it is able to release the haul at anytime, in a controlled manner.

As a belay device it is simple to setup, and easy to operate. No release hitches need to be tied, unintentional catches are easily released etc.

As some groups move towards mirrored systems, where the belay line and the load line are both operated in the same manner, and tensioned after the edge transition, the MPD starts to really shine, as it is a one size fits all solution.

One disadvantage is that it is fairly restricted in terms of the rope diameters it can handle. Don't have the exact specs in front of me, but I know there are 2 models made for 1mm and 12.5mm.

IMO it willl have a great place in teams where they tend towards prerigging, and don't get a lot of practice. Teams that have to carry all their gear and want as much flexibility as possible may shy away from it, although not neccesarily correctly.
snoboy
Prolific Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: BC Speleological Federation

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 19, 2011 8:59 pm

Great response, Snoboy! You're right on the money with your comments. When I went to our meeting with the CMC guys, I thought, "Here we go again. Another expensive piece of equipment," but it definitely is expensive--$650 each--but seems to be well worth it. They're sending us two CMC MPD devices in a week or so, so we can play around with them and get everyone's opinion on them. I like the analogy that the one CMC guy gave, "I teach the raise/lower system to sixteen guys and it takes me sixteen hours to get everyone qualified. In using the MPD, I've got everyone on the same level in 15-minutes." That's what blew me away; thus, when we get them and try them out with our team, I'll try and get back with any of our comments. We've done the 540...and we've done the Petzl piece of equipment, which is similar. Can't recall the initials for some reason. :doh: We used it when working with the Rural Metro FD. I was not impressed, but one of the guys, who's the son of the FD chief, has been working over in France, so he was pushing it. :shrug:

This MPD will have to be purchased for $1300, as our lead wants two of them for various reasons--the mirror system that we use and practice with, plus other ways of using the two devices. Time will tell, as requistion time is coming up for 2012.

Yesterday, we had our last day out on the point, overlooking the river, so hopefully we're all finished with filming the various SAR units for this PR video.
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby dcfdrescue2 » Nov 25, 2011 7:48 am

snoboy wrote:
One disadvantage is that it is fairly restricted in terms of the rope diameters it can handle. Don't have the exact specs in front of me, but I know there are 2 models made for 1mm and 12.5mm.

I think the different models were designed so that each could pass the BCCTR Belay Competancy Drop Test and get the NFPA stamp. 11mm will work in the 12.5 model just fine. It doesn't capture the rope in the required distance; it exceeds it by like 2 feet or something. Not a big deal, it just doesn't meet the standard.
dcfdrescue2
Infrequent Poster

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum