Lost in Cave - No Idea Way Out

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Re: Lost in Cave - No Idea Way Out

Postby Squirrel Girl » Dec 8, 2011 10:20 pm

GroundquestMSA wrote:A cave on the outskirts of Tazewell, Va has several double ended arrows. There are about five sets of arrows painted scratched and smoked at every junction. There are a lot of junctions. One passage has an orange arrow with the word "out" and a red arrow (same direction) with the word "death."

So, I'll ask! Show me a picture! :grin:
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 8, 2011 10:33 pm

I rarely take pictures. I'm not good at photography or taking care of fragile things in a dirty, rough environment. You're in Va., trek on down there and take a peek someday.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 9, 2011 1:19 am

Even a monkey can take a picture of an arrow lol. I'm dying to see this as well.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Bob Thrun » Dec 9, 2011 2:05 pm

I have been in maze caves where there is a flight of arrows at intersections, pointing in 3 or 4 directions. I mostly ignored all of them and did not take pictures. Some of them may have been removed in cleanups. I have not seen a double-ended arrow.

I have seen spray-painted arrows in the middle of Sinks of Gandy where the only two directions to go are downstream and upstream.
Bob Thrun
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby GroundquestMSA » Dec 9, 2011 5:39 pm

Chads93GT wrote:Even a monkey can take a picture of an arrow lol. I'm dying to see this as well.

I suppose if I'm ever there again I could try my very hardest to get a picture. I don't know. Knowing how far from the wall to stand and which direction to face, pointing that little box and a light source directly at the arrows, holding relatively still, pushing that pesky little button...it sounds so impossible.

I meant to say that since I rarely take photos I've never had a camera with me in this cave. Some goofy arrows never seemed worth making a trip back for. Maybe I was wrong. I should probably shoot them to enter into a competition.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Dec 10, 2011 1:20 am

GroundquestMSA wrote:
Chads93GT wrote:Even a monkey can take a picture of an arrow lol. I'm dying to see this as well.

I suppose if I'm ever there again I could try my very hardest to get a picture. I don't know. Knowing how far from the wall to stand and which direction to face, pointing that little box and a light source directly at the arrows, holding relatively still, pushing that pesky little button...it sounds so impossible.

I meant to say that since I rarely take photos I've never had a camera with me in this cave. Some goofy arrows never seemed worth making a trip back for. Maybe I was wrong. I should probably shoot them to enter into a competition.

I don't know about competition, but you definitely should take pictures of arrows while in a cave.

That way if you get lost after leaving the area around the arrows, you can whip out the camera, review the pictures (assuming digital of course) and see which way to go based on the arrows you see in the pictures.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby baa43003 » Dec 11, 2011 9:25 am

Very helpful arrows and sign in my favorite Michigan cave, although the caver still looks confused. :tonguecheek:
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Postby Jeff Bartlett » Dec 12, 2011 10:06 pm

There are caves in Michigan? I thought Amy said she lived 8+ hours from any caving region.
"Although it pains me to say it, in this case Jeff is right. Plan accordingly." --Andy Armstrong
Jeff Bartlett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Bartlett
NSS #: 59325
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Tennessee Cave Survey

Postby LukeM » Dec 13, 2011 9:01 am

baa43003 wrote:Very helpful arrows and sign in my favorite Michigan cave, although the caver still looks confused. :tonguecheek:

Obviously you'll want to visit the "CAVE" before you leave the cave.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby Jon » Dec 14, 2011 1:11 am

Um I thought it was green arrows/ markers on the way in and red on the way out, you know kind of nautical, red right returning?

If aliens beamed me into a cave I would look for food and water sources and figure on staying, not sure I'd want to see what was going on on the surface. Besides they might be getting ready to beam me in a harem to repopulate the earth and I wouldn't want to miss that!!!
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby Cody JW » Dec 14, 2011 7:49 am

Jeff Bartlett wrote:There are caves in Michigan? I thought Amy said she lived 8+ hours from any caving region.
I will put all the real estate brokers in Michigan on notice to get ready for all the TAG people who are going to move up there because of Michigan being such a cave rich area.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby baa43003 » Dec 14, 2011 9:46 am

If only we could remove all that damn glacial till, Michigan would be a caving region. The Wolverine State might not have a lot of accessible caves (or wolverines) but it does have a nice diversity including limestone, gypsum, salt, tufa, and littoral caves, massive sinkholes and disappearing streams and lakes. There are also leads that blow enough air to impress even a TAG caver.
Nothing's as precious as a hole in the ground.
-Midnight Oil

"Alright, who let Bonny on Cavechat? Is there a manager I can speak with?" -- that Bartlett guy
baa43003
Frequent Poster

Name: Bonny Armstrong
NSS #: 43003RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: American Caving Accidents editor NSS Membership Committee

Postby Cody JW » Dec 14, 2011 11:41 am

baa43003 wrote:If only we could remove all that damn glacial till, Michigan would be a caving region. The Wolverine State might not have a lot of accessible caves (or wolverines) but it does have a nice diversity including limestone, gypsum, salt, tufa, and littoral caves, massive sinkholes and disappearing streams and lakes. There are also leads that blow enough air to impress even a TAG caver.
Northern Indiana would likely be the same way as it was buried by the glacier. That same glacier buried a major river in Northern In. called The Teays (spelling ?) River. It was large and similar to the Ohio River. The Wisconsin Glacial Boundary is not too far south of Indianapolis. That is why it is mostly flat in northern Indiana and more hilly in the south.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Anonymous_Coward » Dec 14, 2011 12:57 pm

There are probably more caves in Michigan than there are wolverines! (I'm not counting the drunk ones in Ann Arbor)
Andy Armstrong
American Carbide Council
Anonymous_Coward
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 45993RL FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Paha Sapa Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jan 31, 2012 10:24 am

Sounds like this new book would have some useful information!

Lost in a Cave--applying graph theory to cave exploration
by Richard L Breisch
The goal of this book is to offer advice about three topics related to being lost in a cave:
--How to avoid becoming lost
--What to do if you become lost
--How to organize a search for a person lost in a cave.

Find (and buy) it here:
http://nssbookstore.org/index.php?mode= ... -1127-2683

:looking:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

PreviousNext

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum