Space Available - Level 2 NCRC - Sept. 12-18 in South Dakota

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

Space Available - Level 2 NCRC - Sept. 12-18 in South Dakota

Postby ReneOhms » Aug 22, 2011 10:34 am

Wind Cave National Park and Jewel Cave National Monument are hosting an NCRC Regional Seminar (Levels 1 & 2) next month. The course is being offered for free by the NPS, in order to build a local resource base of trained rescuers who can assist the parks in the event of a cave rescue.

We may have one or two spaces available in Level 2, and are now opening the spots up nationwide. If you have successfully completed a Level 1 NCRC course in the last 4 years and are interested in coming to the Black Hills for Level 2, please contact me at Rene_Ohms[at]nps.gov as soon as possible.

The course dates are September 12 - 18, 2011 (Monday through Sunday).
ReneOhms
Infrequent Poster

Re: Space Available - Level 2 NCRC - Sept. 12-18 in South Da

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 22, 2011 10:42 am

Oh wish I could attend (level 1, I mean)! I saw a job posting for work at Wind Cave Nat'l park and applied for it though! =)
Last edited by self-deleted_user on Aug 22, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 22, 2011 11:35 am

Here are the top 5 in the world.

# CAVE NAME COUNTRY STATE COUNTY MILES
1 Mammoth Cave System (N.P.) U.S.A. Kentucky Ed./Hart/Bar. 390.000
2 Jewel Cave (N.M.) U.S.A. South Dakota Custer 153.500
3 Optymistychna (Gypsum) Ukraine Ternopil Borshchiv 144.158
4 Sistema Ox Bel Ha Mexico Quintana Roo Tulum 139.385
5 Wind Cave (N.P.) U.S.A. South Dakota Custer 135.730
Last edited by Chads93GT on Aug 22, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Oh nice! I've only been to SD as a child, and I don't remember a whole lot. I mean, they say Michigan has caves but they are mostly more like rock outcroppings so I never know how much cave a cave really is. I have heard of Jewel Cave though, just not Wind Cave before I sent out the application.
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Extremeophile » Aug 22, 2011 6:17 pm

If you're applying for a cave job at a world-famous cave you probably shouldn't volunteer that you've never heard of it. That would be like applying for a job at Google as a software engineer and admitting "I just learned you guys do stuff on the internet".
Extremeophile
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Derek Bristol
NSS #: 34941
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Grotto

Postby Chads93GT » Aug 22, 2011 6:29 pm

This. The internet is used extensively by employers these days to do backgrounds on people who freely volunteer information about themselves on the internet.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Perhaps...but there are a LOT of caves in the world, and I'm sure I've not heard of many favourite/classic/popular ones depending on what regions they are in. I'm much more familiar with TAG/KY/IN and UK caves than anywhere else. I see your point but if someone wants to search me on the Internet, they'll find what they'll find, I'm not out to hide things about myself, it's true I'd not heard of Wind before I sent out the application and considering the application had very little to do with any cave aspects it was really hard to gauge how much cave there actually was. If they'd talk about Jewel, that I would have known about! It's kinda silly to expect me to know details about a place I've never been, and the fact my application is with a Michigan address, and all my employment history is in Michigan, it's already obvious I have no experience in South Dakota at all. Heck, they can search my trip reports and see where I have caved and see I am mostly in TAG/KY/IN and use that to compare to the conditions and types of skill involved in Wind (although as I said, the job wasn't involving much if anything to do with the cave itself, it seemed mostly if all above ground operations from the brief description).
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Aug 24, 2011 5:57 pm

LOL. I applied for this same job cert.
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 24, 2011 10:08 pm

Sweet! Good luck Kyle!
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Aug 25, 2011 11:03 pm

So, my best friend from college, graduated top in our class (I didn't ;-) passed on a job at Bell Labs to become a seasonal park ranger at Wind Cave. (then he'd program in the off season so he could actually pay his bills ;-)

He had a blast.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Amazingracer » Aug 29, 2011 1:57 pm

Vacany letters on the cert seem to have come out today. How did you fair?
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 29, 2011 5:47 pm

It said I was qualified but I was not among the top scorers "based on my own self-assessment questions" so my application would not be forwarded to the hiring manager. I think I just need some more rescue/vertical/CPR or similar training type experience so I can answer "I am an expert in this" to basically all the questions rather than "I have training but have not applied it on the job" or the "I have some experience" answers. There were some I had to say I had no experience with at all which I'm sure isn't good either. What about you?
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Amazingracer » Aug 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Eligible and Referred. It took about 3 dozen plus NPS applications and 1.5 years before I finally got the hang of it. That and my boss and coworkers here in my park, helped me rewrite my resume. I was applying for the jobs with my regular one page corporate resume which wasnt getting me anywhere. My new resume is now 6 pages. Also the D and E answers are what the questionairre is really going for I have since discovered too. And the long resume is now there to back up those answers. Seems the park service wants to know everything in your resume and read through it, rather than a corporate HR rep who reads a resume in less than 30 seconds.

Sorry for drifting so far off topic than the original NCRC come take the class message. :off topic:
Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby self-deleted_user » Aug 29, 2011 11:10 pm

Oh yeah sorry for the OT folks heh. Well kinda on topic...the location...I don't think anyone else is chatting about NCRC class anyway.

Anyway, WO0T!!! Good luck Kyle!
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum