San Jose Mine

Discuss training events, techniques, equipment, safety and related issues. Click here to visit the National Cave Rescue Commission webpage.

Moderator: Tim White

San Jose Mine

Postby DansRock » Oct 13, 2010 1:48 pm

I don't know if mine rescues count as cave rescues, but the rescue going on at the San Jose Mine today is riveting. 69 days underground is probably more than most of us would want to spend in that situation. I look forward to reading more about it in the future. I did read the boring drill they used is from an American company. Does anyone know the company?
DansRock
Infrequent Poster

Re: San Jose Mine

Postby Cody JW » Oct 13, 2010 8:44 pm

DansRock wrote:I don't know if mine rescues count as cave rescues, but the rescue going on at the San Jose Mine today is riveting. 69 days underground is probably more than most of us would want to spend in that situation. I look forward to reading more about it in the future. I did read the boring drill they used is from an American company. Does anyone know the company?
I had heard that the man who drilled the hole was from Penn. but was flown in from Afganistan . He was 40 years old.I think the company may be in Penn. but not sure.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 13, 2010 8:51 pm

One lesson learned, make sure your wife and mistress know about each other BEFORE something like this happens.

Oh wait...

Seriously, I think some of the psychological stuff that comes out of this will be fascinating to learn from.
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Postby Evan G » Oct 13, 2010 8:53 pm

The driller/engineer Jeff Hart was from Denver but the Hammer Drill head was manufactured in Pa.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Phil Winkler » Oct 14, 2010 7:19 am

The drill bit was from a company in SW PA. According to a story on the news last night the drill machine itself was made in West Chester, PA just a few miles west of Philadelphia. They showed it on TV and it is quite an impressive bit (sorry) of machinery.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby DansRock » Oct 14, 2010 1:39 pm

It was riveting to watch the rescue and I'm glad it's a happy ending. I wonder how the miner managed to get his mistress to be waiting for him instead of his wife. :tonguecheek:
DansRock
Infrequent Poster

Postby Stridergdm » Oct 14, 2010 4:34 pm

DansRock wrote:It was riveting to watch the rescue and I'm glad it's a happy ending. I wonder how the miner managed to get his mistress to be waiting for him instead of his wife. :tonguecheek:

My understanding is the miners were asked who they wanted to meet them. And evidently the wife was legally his wife, but they had been separated for quite awhile. (My guess is the news media played it up to be a much bigger deal than it really was.)
Cavers rescue cavers!
Stridergdm
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Greg Moore
Primary Grotto Affiliation: RPI Grotto

Return to Cave Rescue Techniques Forum