Royal Gazette-Diving into a Bermuda mystery

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Royal Gazette-Diving into a Bermuda mystery

Postby Evan G » Aug 28, 2006 12:20 pm

By Scott Neil
August 28. 2006

[quote]A project to film the mysterious world of Bermuda’s underwater caves has begun.

Three cave diving friends are plunging into the labyrinth network of underwater tunnels and caverns that lie mostly hidden away in undisturbed corners of the Island. A degree of Government-backing has been given to the venture, which intends to create an interactive DVD documentary to be used as a resource for schools, other cave divers and those simply intrigued to know what lies beneath.

Bermudian Bruce Williams is leading the project with Bermuda Cavers Group diving partners Allan Beales and Paul Larrett.

Experimental film footage from some of caves has already been captured using high-powered underwater lights and video camera. It is likely to take more than two years to complete all the filming and edit the footage into the DVD interactive format, but it is a project that Mr. Williams, 48, believes will be of value to today’s and future generations of Bermuda residents.

“We need to create a better awareness among our children and ourselves about our caves; about the rare endemic species that live there and about the water quality,â€
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Re: W.W. II German Sub off Virginia?

Postby wepiv » Aug 29, 2006 9:12 am

"Explaining what brought him to cave diving Mr. Williams said he has been a certified diver since his teenage years and was content to explore shipwrecks until he came across a sunken World War Two German submarine in 100ft of water off the Virginia coast."
I noted with interest the above quote about a German W.W. II U-Boat off Virginia in 100 feet of water.
I know of a few off North Carolina as well as one in the river near Maryland, but I had not heard about this one.
Does anyone know about which U-Boat he is referring to?
wepiv
Infrequent Poster

Postby JohnL » Aug 29, 2006 1:43 pm

From the looks of it I'm guessing U-85.
http://uboat.net/boats/u85.htm
Former member of the flashlight community
JohnL
Occasional Poster

Postby Phil Winkler » Aug 29, 2006 2:29 pm

Which river near/in Maryland? I'm curious.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Evan G » Aug 29, 2006 2:49 pm

There are a lot more than a few U boats sunk off the states. I was amazed on the amount:

Here is a link to interactive map of U-boats:

http://uboat.net/maps/us_east_coast.htm

You should see how many were destoryed off of greenland:

http://uboat.net/maps/cape_farewell.htm

I think this is the one off Maryland:

The boat was rediscovered on 29 June, 1985 by a team of support divers led by Uwe Lovas. In November 1994 U-1105 was designated Maryland's first historic shipwreck preserve and is a preserved dive site at a depth of 91 feet. Her position by Differential GPS: 38-08.09' N, 076-33.09'W. She is managed by Maryland Historical Trust, Crownsville MD 21032
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby cob » Aug 29, 2006 5:18 pm

thanx a lot guys. I have a long queue of books to read, and now all of a sudden I want to read Shadow Divers again.
If fate doesn't make you laugh, then you just don't get the joke.
cob
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to Cave Diving Forum