Missouri cave dive

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Missouri cave dive

Postby zachsw » Jul 16, 2014 9:46 pm

Are there any experienced cave divers interested in a cave in the Missouri Ozark between Doniphan and Van Buren Mo. The dry survey is done. It's looking to be a little over 3000 feet of passage, most of it walking. The sump at the end has a 3 foot wide crack in the floor of a domed waist deep room. A snorkeler went down nine feet and reported that the passage looked to continue in at least a 3 to 5 foot wide room as far as she was able to see with a dive light. It is supplying the cave with a lot of water. I'm not really a caver myself but my family owns the land and I am interested in our cave. I've seen some videos on YouTube from Ozark cave diving and was wondering if anyone has any association with them and how would somebody go about getting a group to see if the cave would even be of interest. Like I said, I'm not an experienced caver, but the people from CRF, MCKC, and MDC that have helped me survey this cave are. They have been extremely helpful and I'm sure if anyone had any technical questions regarding the cave they could answer them. Hope to hear from someone soon.
zachsw
Occasional Poster

Name: Zach Worrell

Re: Missouri cave dive

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 17, 2014 4:40 am

Yes. I am interested. It's a bit far from me, but if I can't make it, I have friends who are much closer who can make it. When do you want to do this? Are these caver pals of yours willing to help hump the tanks and other dive gear over those 3000' of walking passage? It's typical to have 2-3 sherpas per diver. At least it's walking passage.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby zachsw » Jul 17, 2014 6:49 am

I also neglected to mention there is about a 300 foot water crawl but it's really not that horrible. Where were you at? I think I have talked to you on here before about this. I'll have to speak with CRF because I signed a management agreement with them. Although I probably don't have to ask I think it would be best. I'll send you a pm. I'm sure they would be willing to help. We've had no shortage of volunteers throughout the whole project and they have helped me map about 8 caves on or near the property.
zachsw
Occasional Poster

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 17, 2014 7:51 am

zachsw wrote:I also neglected to mention there is about a 300 foot water crawl but it's really not that horrible. Where were you at? I think I have talked to you on here before about this. I'll have to speak with CRF because I signed a management agreement with them. Although I probably don't have to ask I think it would be best. I'll send you a pm. I'm sure they would be willing to help. We've had no shortage of volunteers throughout the whole project and they have helped me map about 8 caves on or near the property.

Yes, we did PM! :-) Alas, I am far off in Virginia. I have a buddy who just moved to Omaha. But that makes him 8 hours from you and me, 13 hours from you. :-( I have several other good folks closer to you, too.

FWIW, I used to do CRF trips (and led some) back in the 80s when I went to Carlsbad with them.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Chads93GT » Jul 18, 2014 8:15 am

Contact the Ozark Cave Diving Alliance (google them). They will help. I've had Dirk dive a sump in perry county a few years back. Great guys and they know what they are doing.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby FW » Jul 21, 2014 7:35 am

The NSS convention is in Missouri next year. There will be plenty of sump divers there then, including me. There is an NSS-CDS Mini Workshop in MO this September, and possibly some sump divers there then.
Any opinions are personal.
FW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Forrest Wilson
NSS #: 16631
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cave Diving Section

Postby rchrds » Jul 21, 2014 8:14 am

We're going to be very near there tonight and tomorrow, but the diving plan is already filled up- sounds interesting, however. Forrest is right. Next year you will have to beat them back with a stick.
rchrds
Prolific Poster

Name: Jason Richards
NSS #: 41539
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None at the moment

Postby dlamping » Jul 21, 2014 11:14 am

Hi Zach, you're working with someone from CRF who had you sign a management agreement? I'm pretty involved in CRF Ozarks and this is not typical. CRF doesn't manage caves, we provide support for those who do. There is one active cave diver in CRF Ozarks and as Chad stated the OCDA is the most active group in the area. Others who have commented on this post such as Jason and Barbara are also well qualified but you don't need to get permission from CRF to have someone explore if it's your cave.
dlamping
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 51456
Primary Grotto Affiliation: missouri

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 21, 2014 11:46 am

dlamping wrote:Hi Zach, you're working with someone from CRF who had you sign a management agreement? I'm pretty involved in CRF Ozarks and this is not typical. CRF doesn't manage caves, we provide support for those who do. There is one active cave diver in CRF Ozarks and as Chad stated the OCDA is the most active group in the area. Others who have commented on this post such as Jason and Barbara are also well qualified but you don't need to get permission from CRF to have someone explore if it's your cave.

It may be his cave, but if he did sign a management agreement, he should stick with it. But as I think I mentioned before, I've been a CRF JV in the past and have led trips for them, too! And founded the newsletter for them out in NM. :clap:

PS -- Jason gets all the good caves! Leave some for the rest of us! :waving: At least I get to see what Jason's up to via FB.
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby Squirrel Girl » Jul 21, 2014 12:05 pm

Squirrel Girl wrote:It may be his cave, but if he did sign a management agreement, he should stick with it. But as I think I mentioned before, I've been a CRF JV in the past and have led trips for them, too! And founded the newsletter for them out in NM. :clap:

PS -- Jason gets all the good caves! Leave some for the rest of us! :waving: At least I get to see what Jason's up to via FB.

Of course, I still live way so far away that I might not make it. Forrest was on--he's closer if I can't make it list. You never know what part of the world Jason is at at any give time!
Barbara Anne am Ende

Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

Postby zachsw » Jul 21, 2014 4:26 pm

The contract I signed isn't legally binding. It was just more of a mutual agreement that CRF along with Springfield Plateau Grotto and Missouri Heritage put together because they all aided me in gating my cave. I know some hate that idea but around the entrance was getting trashed and there was nothing I could do to stop it. That was most of my reason for wanting the gate. The concrete wall that had been there since the 70's was really bat unfriendly as well and we hope to see the bat numbers increase with this new gate.
zachsw
Occasional Poster

Postby zachsw » Jul 21, 2014 4:31 pm

I was mistaken as well. It is MCKC that is managing. I know I don't have to ask but due to the donations and all of the awesome volunteer work so far I feel like it's the respectful thing to do. Here's a link
http://www.mocavesandkarst.org/mckc-caves/lewis-cave:
zachsw
Occasional Poster

Postby dlamping » Jul 22, 2014 6:52 am

Zach, I realized later that it was likely MCKC managing. You seem like a great steward of your land. I wish more landowners shared the responsible interest you have in your caves. Cheers!
dlamping
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 51456
Primary Grotto Affiliation: missouri

Postby Chads93GT » Jul 23, 2014 5:57 pm

What Dan Said. Thats pretty awesome.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby foxmeyer » Jul 25, 2014 12:17 pm

My buddy and I may be interested. Let me check and confirm. We live closer to the area. Just send me a pm.
foxmeyer
New Poster

Next

Return to Cave Diving Forum