Cave diving rescue in France

Questions, techniques, gear, safety. Also visit the NSS Cave Diving Section.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cave diving rescue in France

Postby Juergen » Oct 11, 2010 5:43 am

Firstly, I apologize for posting already known information a few days ago. I was at the bottom of the 1st page and didn't notice that there was already a 2nd page with new information. Clearly my fault, sorry.

Nevertheless at 10.30 local time there is a new memo from the French Caving Rescue:

http://www.speleo-secours-francais.com/ ... &Itemid=83

From the German translation I get the following information (maybe somebody with French can verify this):

- The digging at the shaft has reached a depth of -90 meters due to the fact that some mini-detonations enlarged the natural shaft and lead to a natural shaft/chimney. Now at -90m there is a new very tight passage which the cave rescue is currently trying to enlarge.

- The drilling has reached -30m and has started again after some minor problems yesterday and will continue all day.

Undoubtedly good news. Good luck to everybody involved in the rescue.

Regards, Jürgen
Juergen
Frequent Poster

Postby tilmanb » Oct 11, 2010 8:01 am

Juergen wrote:From the German translation I get the following information (maybe somebody with French can verify this):

- The digging at the shaft has reached a depth of -90 meters due to the fact that some mini-detonations enlarged the natural shaft and lead to a natural shaft/chimney. Now at -90m there is a new very tight passage which the cave rescue is currently trying to enlarge.

The Suiss cave rescue talks about a series of 3 pitches, -20m, -40m and -20m. Micro-Detonations seems to mean blasting, not earthquakes.

This is good news, and I hope there will be a breakthrough to the air-filled chamber containing Eric.
tilmanb
Infrequent Poster

Postby yvonnedroms » Oct 11, 2010 9:08 am

Update from Speleo Secours Monday Oct 11 2010 10:30 AM French time:

Digging efforts at the natural fissure on the plateau overnight finally yielded some tangible results. After a restriction was widened by microblasting, the top of a pit became accessible. Cave rescuers were then able to go down a 20-meter pitch, followed by a 40 m one, then another 20 m one, bringing them to -90 m depth. The rescue crew is now working on enlarging a new restriction at the top of another pit.

The drilling efforts that ended last night at -30 m started up again this morning and will continue all day.

Preparations are underway for the dive of the British team which is planned for early afternoon.

Speleo Secours also recognizes the important work of non only the French Cave Rescue (Spéléo Secours Français), but also of those who since the beginning of the rescue have tackled the difficult dives to the site of the 780 m collapse. They are two divers from the Swiss Speleo Rescue (Spéléo-Secours Suisse) as well as four rescuers (three divers) from the British Cave Rescue Council, all highly qualified and recognized as being elite members of an international plan on cave diving.

-Yvonne
yvonnedroms
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 26584 FE

Postby Juergen » Oct 11, 2010 10:24 am

French TV ( source: http://www.bfmtv.com/ ) shows this Alert Info:

"Les plongeurs britanniques n'ont pas pu dépasser l'éboulis ni rejoindre le spéléologue bloqué en Ardèche (BFMTV)."

which means - according to my very poor French and Babelfish - that the British divers couldn't get through to reach Eric.

Maybe somebody with better French can confirm and provide more information - see the link above. Thanks.

If this is confirmed it is really bad news and I really hope that the TV message is wrong. Hopefully the digging and drilling is more successfull.

Regards, Jürgen
Juergen
Frequent Poster

Postby paul » Oct 11, 2010 11:12 am

Currently the news on http://www.bfmtv.com/ is "British divers were forced to return due to a technical problem". Hopefully it is only a temporary problem.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Paul Lydon

Postby yvonnedroms » Oct 11, 2010 11:19 am

According to UNOFFICIAL sources, i.e. the press and TV, the British divers had to turn around because one of them experienced a technical problem due to a malfunctioning rebreather. It does not look realistic to send another diving team in today.

-Yvonne
yvonnedroms
Prolific Poster

Postby paul » Oct 11, 2010 11:22 am

There is also some news on the BBC News site at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-sout ... s-11514907.
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Juergen » Oct 11, 2010 11:55 am

I'm afraid, but there seem to be very bad news, at least on a half-official level (from the sous-préfecture de Largentière):

http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-divers/d ... 105288.php
Juergen
Frequent Poster

Postby Evan G » Oct 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Sad news, :-(

Here is the translation:

The sub-prefecture Largentière announced Monday afternoon the death of the missing caver in the gorges of Ardeche for eight days. Eric Establie was found drowned by the two British divers left on Monday to find him. This is the sub-prefect of Largentière, Rampon Jean, who announced the sad news after the debriefing of the two men on their return.

Parties in the early morning for a dive in the extreme, two Britons were first made by a technical problem.

The objective of this dive was the last chance to "make contact", bypassing the landslide which trapped Eric Establie, explained Eric Zipper, Chief Cave Rescue on site. Both divers had so long prepared for the entrance of the hose, before embarking on a journey of over a kilometer in this gallery of underwater Dragonnière Gaud.

A lifeguard outstanding

Rescuers had not received any sign of life since Saturday caver. They then perceived sounds, some 200 meters from the place of his disappearance. It is also not come for the watertight filed Sunday by the two divers to the Swiss scree, because they contain the radio was not activated.

Diver by profession, he runs a construction company maritime and underwater at Cannes. Identified in the French Caving Relief (SSF) for four years as a volunteer diver, Eric Establie, 45, took part in March 2009 to the rise of the lifeless body of a experienced diver in Lot.

In June 2001, the caver Patrick Mugnier was out of the abyss of Fontanilles (Hérault), five days after having disappeared. He had to cross 1.5 km dive into deep water 15 meters. Before him, in November 1999, seven cavers trapped in the abyss of Vitarelle (Lot) had been released after ten days. Their rescue was then considered "the most complex ever undertaken in France."
Last edited by Evan G on Oct 11, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Amazingracer » Oct 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Amazingracer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Kyle Gochenour
NSS #: 58846
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby yvonnedroms » Oct 11, 2010 12:08 pm

Still unconfirmed by the Speleo Secours : an announcement was made by the French sous-prefet of Largentiere that the British team was not able to pass through the obstruction, but they were able to see through it and saw Eric’s body on the other side. Apparently Eric drowned. Terrible news, still unconfirmed, as I said, but I will post the announcement from Speleo Secours when it is official.

-Yvonne
yvonnedroms
Prolific Poster

Postby yvonnedroms » Oct 11, 2010 12:55 pm

It is unfortunately official. Update from Speleo Secours Francais at 7 PM French time:

Eric Establie was found dead this afternoon by the British divers at a distance of approximately 900 to 950 meters from the entrance of the sump. He was in a low point of this flooded passage, at a depth of -70 meters.

A briefing will now be held in order to decide on how to proceed.
--------

My deepest-felt condolences to Eric’s family. What a sad ending to what looked so promising only a few hours ago.

-Yvonne
yvonnedroms
Prolific Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 11, 2010 12:58 pm

:sadbanana:
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby paul » Oct 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Although referring to the tragedy of Neil Moss's death in Peak Cavern in the UK in the 50's, the following seems quite apt:

"For the young man who died in Peak Cavern, there must be mourning,
but there can be a sense of pride in him too. Those who will risk
danger, whether in caves, on mountains or at sea must sometimes have to
pay the full price they have pledged. It could not be otherwise.

The adventurous cannot guard against all risks without reducing
adventure to make-believe. The death that came in the darkness at
Peak cavern is pitiful, but it is good that there are those who
for youth or adventure or a cause are willing to risk such an
end. It is in this that the honour of being Human exists."

"Manchester Guardian" 25th March 1959
Probably written by Patrick Monkhouse
paul
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Harald Franzen » Oct 11, 2010 2:02 pm