HHH dies

This is a new forum to recognize our many caving friends that we have lost. Please feel free to post an "In memory of" thread about your caving friends you have lost.

HHH dies

Postby ohiocaver » Aug 30, 2016 11:20 am

Horton H. Hobbs III – Mr. Cave Geology in Ohio – has died.
It would be difficult to find a study (or student) of Ohio caving that does not have HHH’s fingerprints all over it. He mentored a ton of students at Wittenberg University and with WUSS.
He was a Fellow and past Director of the NSS.
I’m happy that he was around when Carter Caves did him the honor of naming a cavern after him in appreciation for all the work he did in Kentucky.
I’ll miss him. Caving will miss him.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Re: HHH dies

Postby GroundquestMSA » Aug 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Thanks for letting us know Curt. I wasn't one of his students but Horton did an awful lot (as you know) for me. I thought of him this morning. Do you know if anyone is putting together any sort of memorial for the News?
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: HHH dies

Postby ohiocaver » Aug 31, 2016 5:13 pm

Heather (his daughter) said there would be a get-together sometime next summer but didn’t give a date yet. I don’t think there will be a funeral—or maybe it will just be immediate family, if there is one. I’m sure there will be a memorial of some sort at WAW/Crawlathon at Carter Caves, too.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Return to In Memory of