RIP David R. Stidham

This is a new forum to recognize our many caving friends that we have lost. Please feel free to post an "In memory of" thread about your caving friends you have lost.

RIP David R. Stidham

Postby SherrySHouston » Mar 25, 2013 9:46 pm

It is with much sadness and regret that I report David's passing. He was taken ill while on one of his many visits to minister to his family and friends in Haiti. He became ill from a staph infection while there. David's wonderful wife Esther spoke with David Saturday night. David thought he might have food poisoning, and Esther realized he was critically ill. Esther managed to book David a flight home to Worcester, Massachussetts just hours prior to his death. David was a wonderful person. Those who knew him were forever impacted! He loved God, his wife, his six precious children, his six sisters and family. He was a great man, a wonderful humanitarian, and had a zest for life to the fullest! Thank those of you who have been David's friends all these years. I especially want to thank Ed Yarbrough for the part he played in saving David's life in 1973 when he had his caving accident. Submitted by David's former wife, Sherry E. (Stidham) Houston
SherrySHouston
New Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: RIP David R. Stidham

Postby boreholio » Mar 26, 2013 9:09 pm

I was saddened to learn of his passing. David was a great guy, friendly, humble, never heard him raise his voice or speak ill of others. I remember his welcoming camaraderie to me as a new caver on a trip to Xanadu back in the 70's.

It's inspiring that even in the circumstances of his death he was giving to others.

Joel Buckner
boreholio
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17337FE

Re: RIP David R. Stidham

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Apr 17, 2013 5:03 pm

At the last Nashville Grotto Meeting (April 4), Marion O. Smith and Ed Yarbrugh showed slides of David Stidham caving here in Tennessee in the 60s and 70s. Several people told of their caving trips with him.

On one trip, to Streak of Sunlight Cave, David and Ed Yarbrough were exploring a number of pits in the floor of the Entrance Room. David had rigged his rope to a rock projection which pulled out of the wall while he was on rope. The result was a compound leg fracture. With assistance by Ed, David was able to prussik out of the pit under his own power !!! Ed left David at the cave entrance and went for help. This was back in the days before organized cave rescue teams, but Ed and several other cavers were able to get David to a vehicle and to the McMinnville Hospital. David made a full recovery and was back caving within a year.
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Return to In Memory of