Lyle Moss

This is a new forum to recognize our many caving friends that we have lost. Please feel free to post an "In memory of" thread about your caving friends you have lost.

Lyle Moss

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 4, 2011 5:26 pm

Louisville, and ex-Colorado, caver Lyle Moss, NSS 16233, died Friday when his experimental aircraft crashed during the Rough River Canard Fly-in.
http://www.whas11.com/news/local/Pilot- ... 95563.html
http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2011309300067
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Lyle Moss

Postby caverdan » Oct 5, 2011 8:23 am

FWIW, Lyle owns a bunch of land below Glenwood Caverns with caves on it and the tram passes over it. Some of you might have met him at convention. Condolances to his family and friends as he will be missed by the caving community.
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby KENTO » Oct 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Lyle made quite a few excellent contributions to the Exploration of Lechugilla in particular the lead climb of Apricot " Dome ".
KENTO
Prolific Poster

NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto

Postby Pat Kambesis » Oct 16, 2011 12:29 am

Not Apricot Dome - it was the Aragonitmare Dome which led to the discovery of the Far East section of Lech which yielded miles of new passage.
Pat Kambesis
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 17304FELB
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Iowa Grotto

Postby KENTO » Oct 16, 2011 8:44 pm

True , it became the Aragonitemare Dome which did lead to the Far East. I came back to the park the following year , but did not go into Lech. My friend Bill Baus did , I just took some friends up into the High Guads. So I would have to ask Don Kluever perhaps if I am remembering a different area of the cave. We watched Lyle climb it 70 feet or so nearly straight up then it turned into a ramp of about 75 degree angle. This we thought it should be called Apricot Dome due to it's proximity to Apricot Pit. Perhaps we were overruled by the Cartographers of this area.
Also very memorable was my assisting Lyle remove the infected big toenail of a certain well known exploration leader , which prevented a debilitating cancellation of the remainder of said expedition. Wish I had known Lyle had moved to KY , would liked to have gone caving with him again.
KENTO
Prolific Poster

NSS #: #18,986
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BloomingtonIndiana Grotto

Return to In Memory of