Very, very sad news: Tom Barr has Died

This is a new forum to recognize our many caving friends that we have lost. Please feel free to post an "In memory of" thread about your caving friends you have lost.

Very, very sad news: Tom Barr has Died

Postby Larry E. Matthews » Apr 30, 2011 12:32 pm

I just got an email from David Withers informing me that Tom Barr died last night. (Friday, April 29, 2011).

Tom Barr, as you all know, wrote "Caves of Tennessee" (1961) and was a past President of the NSS.

Funeral plans will be forthcoming.

Larry
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Dr. Thomas C. Barr Jr. 1931-2011

Postby Dr_Beaner » Apr 30, 2011 7:20 pm

It is with profound sadness that Lynn and I inform the caving family of the passing of our dear friend and fellow caver Dr. Thomas Calhoun Barr NSS 892 RL HM CM FE.

Tom's wife Mrs. Judy called us early this morning about 9:30 asking our help in sharing the news with all his caver friends that have been such a big part of Tom's life. He passed away during the evening of April 29, 2011 at the age of 79. Most of you are aware of only part of the huge amount of accomplishments that Tom has enjoyed during his lifetime. Tom was a true caver besides being a world renowned cave biologist, university professor, former NSS president (1965-1967), and a voice of reason and experience occasionally sharing his wit and wisdom with us. He joined the NSS at age 18 and dedicated much of his early career to exploring caves in many locations around the country and especially in TAG using a coleman lantern for his light source. Most cavers know that Tom authored the book "Caves of Tennessee" which has been used by nearly every newbie caver in Tennessee as "the source" for finding caves to explore. In addition to his love of caving Dr. Barr graduated from Harvard, Columbia, and Vanderbilt Universities eventually teaching at Texas Tech, Tennessee Tech and becoming professor emeritus of Biological Sciences at the University of Kentucky where he retired in 1993 after a long successful career. He was a gifted scientist who tirelessly worked on describing new cave beetle species, collaborated on scientific papers, and helped mentor the next generations of cavers and cave biologists. Tom's dedication to the study of cave beetles continued to the day he died.

There is so much more to this man than can be written in a simple post. He was a true friend, mentor, and gentleman. We will miss his gentle voice, great sense of humor, and his unique "coleman lantern" caving style. His passing is truly a huge loss to all his friends, family, and to all cavers. Tom you will be greatly missed.

Brian and Lynn Roebuck

PS: we'll post funeral arrangements as soon as they become available
Dr_Beaner
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 34626
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southport Chronic Cavers

Re: Very, very sad news: Tom Barr has Died

Postby mgmills » May 1, 2011 11:57 am

Larry E. Matthews wrote:I just got an email from David Withers informing me that Tom Barr died last night. (Friday, April 29, 2011).

Tom Barr, as you all know, wrote "Caves of Tennessee" (1961) and was a past President of the NSS.

Funeral plans will be forthcoming.

Larry

Did not know him personally but he was an important part in the history of caving. I have a copy of his book "Caves of Tennessee". My thoughts are with his family in this time of sadness.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby Larry E. Matthews » May 1, 2011 2:42 pm

Every Tennessee caver knows of Tom Barr from his book "Caves of Tennessee", but perhaps not everybody knew that he lived here in Nashville. Tom was a professor of Biology at the University of Kentucky for many years and when he retired, he returned to Nashville, where he grew up and had family.

Tom sent me some really great ghost stories last year that he had written. I was just blown away. They were great. I hope we can get them printed, somewhere. And, he had a fantastic sense of humor, too. I never really got to know Tom until after he moved back to Nashville. He was far, far from the stodgy University Professor that some people expect famous scientists to be.

Larry
Larry E. Matthews
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6792
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nashville Grotto

Re: Dr. Thomas C. Barr Jr. 1931-2011

Postby Dr_Beaner » May 1, 2011 5:22 pm

Cavers,

Here are the funeral arrangements for Dr. Thomas Calhoun Barr Jr.

Visitation will be held 11:30 AM -1:00 PM on Thursday May 5, 2011 at the Downtown Presbyterian Church,
154 5th Avenue North, Nashville, Tennessee. The service will being at 1:00 PM in the Church Sanctuary followed by
burial at 3:30 PM at Greenlawn Cemetery, Franklin, Kentucky

The Downtown Presbyterian Church http://www.dpchurch.com

Greenlawn Cemetery http://tinyurl.com/3gqvvfw

Regards,
Brian and Lynn Roebuck
Dr_Beaner
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 34626
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southport Chronic Cavers

Re: Dr. Thomas C. Barr Jr. 1931-2011

Postby Cheryl Jones » May 1, 2011 9:33 pm

NSS number 892 RL
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby pretzlgirl » May 4, 2011 4:22 pm

Thomas C. Barr Jr., author of Caves of Tennessee, dead at 79

Thomas C. Barr Jr., author of 'Caves of Tennessee,' died Friday at his Nashville home at the age of 79.

Barr, who died of a heart attack, had a lifelong love of caves that translated itself into scores of scientific papers, discoveries and a book that has inspired cavers throughout the region.

http://tnne.ws/3Pe
"The human spirit needs places where nature has not been rearranged by the hands of man" ~ Unknown
pretzlgirl
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 34626FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Southport Nashville Spencer

Return to In Memory of