Passsing of Jim Hathorn

This is a new forum to recognize our many caving friends that we have lost. Please feel free to post an "In memory of" thread about your caving friends you have lost.

Passsing of Jim Hathorn

Postby dddphoto » Mar 4, 2011 10:39 am

It is with a very heavy heart that I must let you know that Jim Hathorn passed away last night after a long battle with prostate cancer. Jim is a Fellow of the NSS, a Life Member of the Gem State Grotto (Idaho), and one of the original members of the American Cave Conservation Association (ACCA). His work with designing and installing bat friendly cave gates is well known throughout the US. His accomplishments in the caving community could fill volumes and his "Jim Jokes" will live on for eternity. Most of all Jim was loved by everyone who knew him and I feel blessed to consider him my best friend.

David W. Kesner
NSS #28258

dddphoto

Re: Passsing of Jim Hathorn

Postby Ronal Kerbo » Mar 4, 2011 11:25 am

This is very sad news. Jim and I participated in many ACCA cave/karst workshops back in the mid 1980s. He will be greatly missed.
ronal kerbo
NSS 11539
Ronal Kerbo
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 11539

Re: Passsing of Jim Hathorn

Postby dddphoto » Mar 7, 2011 11:27 am

The funeral and services for Jim will be Saturday, March 12th at the Summers Funeral Home in downtown Boise, Idaho. At 10:00 will be a viewing with services at 11:00. Following that will be a procession and graveside services at Dry Creek Cemetery. Jim is to be laid to rest in a metal coffin and he has requested that everyone grab a marker and write a a final thought or joke.

Below is an image of Jim from the early days. If you ever needed anything on a trip, Jim could pull it from his pack!

David W. Kesner
NSS #28258FE

dddphoto

Return to In Memory of