Jane E. Fisher 1914-2011

This is a new forum to recognize our many caving friends that we have lost. Please feel free to post an "In memory of" thread about your caving friends you have lost.

Jane E. Fisher 1914-2011

Postby Teresa » Feb 12, 2011 5:19 pm

I regret to inform the caving community that another of our grand old ladies, Jane E. Fisher, NSS 14712RL, passed away yesterday, Friday, February 11 about 4 p.m. Jane was 96, and had been in frail health the last few years, though her mind and feisty sense of humor never failed her. Jane was a member of MMV and MVG Grottos at various times, and a fixture at MVOR for many years.

According to information from grandson Matt Tenny and Elaine Hackerman:
" Our friend, mentor and fellow caver Jane Fisher passed away at 4:10 on Friday, Feb. 11, 2011. All was peaceful and loving with three of her daughters and a grandson at her bedside. She will be greatly missed by all who knew her and sampled her White Spider beverage.

The arrangements will probably be finalized on Sat., Feb. 12th. You may call the Hilleman Funeral Home in St. Louis at 314-428-4337 for details. Tentative plans are for Matt to host a Celebration of Life, non-religious, sharing of stories and memories at the funeral home on Feb. 14th about 7 PM. And on Feb. 15th about 10 AM, a church service (near Jane's house) with a short eulogy, burial not very far away and back to church for lunch. You will be able to meet some of Jane's many relatives on Monday and Tuesday, but do confirm the dates, times and places."

I will post more on services as I find it out.

Jo Schaper
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Jane E. Fisher 1914-2011

Postby Teresa » Feb 13, 2011 3:07 pm

Since I haven't seen final details posted, I called Hilleman Funeral Home.

Jane's wake will be from 4-8 p.m tomorrow February 14 at Hilleman Funeral Home, 9709 Lackland Rd
Overland, MO 63114.

The funeral will be at Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church 3540 Marcus Avenue (same street she lived on)
at 10 a.m. Tuesday Feb. 15.

Remember: though this is a wake and a funeral, we need to give this lovely, feisty lady a good caver sendoff...
I do believe if we stood around crying, we'd get a good scolding from her.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ronal Kerbo » Feb 15, 2011 10:25 am

Jane was a wonderful person. Full of great good humor, energy, and could tell stories spanning many years of adventures. We were in China and South Africa together and when you saw that twinkle in her eye you knew that someone was going to be shocked by one of her stories! She will be missed and all of us that came within her sphere were rewarded just by being near her! Regretfully I cannot be there to celebrate her life in person but am doing so from afar.
Ronal Kerbo
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 11539

Postby Teresa » Feb 16, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks Ron.
Jane had a wonderful sendoff Valentine's evening and yesterday. Her grandson Matt Tenny, who caves, opened the Feb. 14 remembrance with, of all things, a reading from Cavechat some years back about Jane getting struck by lightning at the 1988 SD convention. Family and cavers were there in about equal numbers; the cavers brought a bottle of Jane's signature "White Spider" MVOR firewater to the funeral home, and it was passed around. About halfway through the proceedings 2 very young Fisher offspring had a spontaneous hands and knees crawl race in front of the casket. The cavers all laughed -- "and the children shall lead them."

Yesterday morning she had a half Lutheran, half Dixieland funeral at the church in North St. Louis a few blocks from where she lived. She attended an evangelical, largely African-American church, but I don't think most of us were ready for electric guitars, jazz organ, tambourines, clapping and shouting when the minister said to turn to the first song in the hymnal. She was taken from the church to the happy cacophany of "When the Saints Go Marching In," and was buried in Bellefontaine Cemetery with a bat sticker on her casket.

Her name will be added to the "Gone Cavin'" plaque in Berome Moore Cave. Jane was a member of Meramec Valley and Middle Mississippi Valley Grottos in St. Louis.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby commanderzoom » Mar 17, 2011 5:00 am

I never had the honor of meeting Jane (much to my dismay) but an edition of "Living St. Louis" I found on YouTube told me all I needed to know. She reminded me a lot of my Granny & that means we would have gotten along wonderfully :grin: .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbrcgFzP_YU

RIP Jane!
commanderzoom
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 61484
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MVG

Return to In Memory of