Evelyn Bradshaw (NSS 11874L OS, FE)

This is a new forum to recognize our many caving friends that we have lost. Please feel free to post an "In memory of" thread about your caving friends you have lost.

Evelyn Bradshaw (NSS 11874L OS, FE)

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 2, 2011 11:24 pm

Evelyn Bradshaw (NSS 11874L OS, FE) passed away from pneumonia on January 29, 2011, at St. Mary's Hospital in Richmond, Va. She was 95.

Many of you will remember Evelyn as NSS Internal Organizations chairman, a position she held for nearly 20 years. She also served as NSS Director 1978-1984, chairman of the NSS Bylaws Committee 1980-83, and member of the NSS Awards Committee.

Evelyn was a fixture at NSS Conventions until she was nearly 90, and at the registration table at OTR for many, many years. She was made a Fellow of the NSS in 1977, and honored with its Outstanding Service award in 1984.

Evelyn was a mainstay in the VAR caving community. She helped get the Virginia Cave Commission off the ground (later to become the Virginia Cave Board), and was a driving force in forming the Tidewater Grotto. For many years Evelyn was involved in the DC Grotto, serving as its newsletter editor, and also a BATS member, attending meetings until she was 90.

Born in Maine, and Evelyn received her degree in mathematics at Radcliffe, and met her future husband while working in China. She took a fall in a cave when young, breaking her neck!

Evelyn was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2005. She had three children, James Bradshaw MD (deceased), Katharine Dryer, and Martha Adams, seven grand children and one great-granddaughter.

She was an amazing woman, a good friend to cavers and the NSS, and admired by all who knew her.
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Re: Evelyn Bradshaw (NSS 11874L OS, FE)

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 3, 2011 8:13 am

So sorry to see her go. Evelyn was a delightful lady and worked so hard for the NSS over so many years. She definitely helped with many projects I was involved in. Rest in peace.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby Squirrel Girl » Feb 3, 2011 8:15 am

From the 2002 convention--Evelyn was stylin' with that scarf!!!

Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby onebat » Feb 3, 2011 9:58 am

I'm sorry to hear about this. She was very helpful when we were trying to get our grotto started.
onebat
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 32368
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Spencer Mountain Grotto

Postby George Dasher » Feb 3, 2011 12:44 pm

Thanks, Cheryl!!
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby George Dasher » Feb 3, 2011 12:49 pm

The Outstanding Service Award part of the NSS website has an error in it, and nothing comes up.

Does anyone know when Eveyln received her OS?

And did she also receive the Carnegie Award?

And how do you report that problem with the website?
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Feb 3, 2011 1:04 pm

Never mind.

I've gotten in the habit of not reading text until I am editing it for publication, and that technique served me wrong this time around.

Cheryl already had all my questions answered--before I asked them.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 3, 2011 5:14 pm

Warning :off topic:
George,
I reported that missing page -- know the one you mean. Alex is pretty sick right now and off line, so it'll take a couple of days to get it back up. But the info is here also http://www.caves.org/committee/award/

Don't know about the Carnegie award. I tried to find a list online -- you'd think the museum would have the info on their Web site -- but no luck.
Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Postby George Dasher » Feb 5, 2011 7:38 pm

For those not in the know: The Carnegie Award was presented at each OTR (by Hamm Hamilton) to those cavers who had made long-term contributions to caving and speleology. About 40 people received the thing, over the same number of years. It came with an exceptionally nice (and HUGE) book on mammals.

The most-recent list I can find in my computer is for 1999, but I know the award was presented up until about 2004, which is about when Hamm died. I've asked the "OTR website" if they have a more up-to-date list, but no answer.

Heck! It won't hurt for the NSS to put a list of the Carnegie people on their website, even though it was not a NSS award. It would just be nice if someone somewhere was keeping a record.... which is something Hamm never did, and even the list I have does not include the years the people received the award. I have no clue if the Carnegie Museum has a complete list, but I would willing to guess no.

The short story is that (to the best of my records), Evelyn had not received it. Bob Handley, on the other hand, had received the award.

I thought the obit Cheryl wrote for Evelyn was most excellent, and I hope that (Cheryl) you don't mind if I reprint it in The West Virginia Caver. Because I've already put it in...
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Feb 5, 2011 7:42 pm

To get this thread back where it should have been....

Evelyn was certainly an incredible individual, who really made the effort to do things right--right down to the smallest detail!

She was one of those people who will be missed for a long, long time.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 5, 2011 9:48 pm

Warning :off topic:

I have no clue if the Carnegie Museum has a complete list, but I would willing to guess no.

I have written them. The first reply sent me to the Web page with minerals awards. So I've written them again. :roll:
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Postby Cheryl Jones » Feb 5, 2011 9:51 pm

[Note: The family is not planning a memorial service but will have a private scattering of ashes. Martha wonders if it would be appropriate for a small amount of ashes to be placed in a cave?]

This from Evelyn's daughter, Martha Adams.

Evelyn W. Bradshaw, 95, passed away on January 29, 2011, at St. Mary’s Hospital in Richmond, VA. Until being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2006, she had lived a very active life as a member of the National Speleological Society, the Battlefield Sierra Club, Fredericksburg PC Users Group, and a member of the Society of Friends (Quakers). She was also a Girl Scout leader, a Democrat, and a member of the League of Women Voters, AAUW, an astronomy club, and the ACLU. After graduating [CENSORED] laude from Radcliffe in 1937, she worked for the American Friends Service Committee during WWII and, after the war, for the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Agency in China, where she met and married John C. Bradshaw, Jr., who died in 1962. She worked for the Virginia Beach School Board, Friends Committee on National Legislation, the Law of the Sea, and the National Campaign for a Peace Tax Fund. She had three children:James A. Bradshaw, M.D., who predeceased her; Katharine B. Dwyer of Reno, Nevada; and Martha B. Adams, of Glen Allen; seven grandchildren; and one great-granddaughter.

My mother had written a couple of bios, one inspired by a local newspaper series in circa 2001, and another from 1995 when she was running for a position on the NSS’s Board of Governors.Following is the essence of those bios:

She was there....Armistice Day 1918. Did she really remember? People celebrated the coming of peace. But, as President Woodrow Wilson warned, “Only a peace between equals can last. It must be a peace without victory to last.”

A native New Englander (born in Maine).Majored in Mathematics at Radcliffe. She explained that a science major had to do all that “lab stuff.” Humanities majors had all that reading and research. But if one had any feeling for math at all, it was the easiest major.She minored in astronomy.

After graduation, she spent four years at Yale University typing a manuscript written by a Swiss professor of international relations called Britain and France Between Two Wars.

During WWII, she worked for the American Friends Service Committee in Philadelphia as secretary to their Foreign Service Section, processing overseas workers. Outside of regular hours, cables for the AFSC were routed to her telephone and she heard the cries of help from ravaged Europe. She was also a hostess at the Stage Door Canteen and volunteered to help a professor at the Univ. of PA doing astronomy research: She counted comet trails for him.

In China with the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation’s China Mission, she lived in Shanghai, until she asked to be reassigned and went to ChengChow to work as a secretary for a group trying to mend a dam on the mighty Yellow River that had been blown up during the war to slow the advance of the Japanese through China. Although that attempt failed when floods came before the dam was finished, the work was eventually completed. She was in China for one year, long enough to meet the love of her life, John Bradshaw, a Virginian, who was working with the British Friends Ambulance Unit.

They returned to the US & settled in North Carolina, where her husband worked for Guilford College, and they had three children. She was in the choir of the Friends Meeting there. In reaction to the Little Rock case (ordering desegregation), she was one of “34 Whites Who Demanded Integration” [a front page article in the local paper reporting a letter to the local school board written by Guilford College associates suggesting the school board should integrate without waiting for a court order]. Cross burnings and angry telephone calls resulted, but her family was visiting relatives out of the state. She became President of the local League of Women Voters, and was active in the AAUW & the Greensboro Astronomy club, which took part in a research project observing migratory geese flying across the face of the moon (to find new information on migratory patterns of high-flying birds). For a few months, she worked for an over-the-counter brokerage firm.

They moved to Virginia Beach “to look for a less stressful job after [John] had a cerebral hemorrhage.” Besides working for the director of personnel of the School Board, she was responsible for the statistics and applications for federal funds (Public Law 874). “The City had acquired a main frame IBM computer and [she] converted what had been entirely a paper operation into punch cards.” She had a huge key punch machine in her office and designed the key punch cards herself.She was there when Norfolk closed its schools rather than integrate. She talked to Norfolk parents wanting to place their children in the still open Beach schools. Then the Navy threatened to relocate unless schools were reopened, so the Norfolk school closure was fairly short-lived. She was active in the Virginia Beach Friends Meeting. She was an officer or board member with the area Human Relations Council, the ACLU, a local civic organization, and a statewide organization of educational data system operators (where, GUESS WHAT, she did their newsletter for them by bulk rate when 2 cents per piece was the rate, the first of MANY newsletters she enjoyed working on in her lifetime). And she continued to love computers all her life.

She discovered caving as a Girl Scout leader (her two daughters were in her troop). The father of one of the Girl Scouts worked with a Navy Wave who wanted to cave, so the Girl Scouts went caving with her, with their first cave being “Porter’s.” After the Wave moved on, other Girl Scout troops in the area asked to go along on the cave trips. Annie Whittemore introduced her to OTR. Evelyn “realized cavers were fun people to do things with and she joined the NSS.” She was in on the formation of the Virginia Cave Commission, later the Virginia Cave Board.

After her 3 children were grown, Mom moved to the Washington DC area and worked eight years for the FCNL, a Quaker lobby in D.C., and was active in the Alexandria Friends Meeting.

At the annual convention of the National Speleological Society she received the Outstanding Service Award of the Society. The D.C. Grotto chairman persuaded her to run for a seat on the NSS Board of Governors. To her surprise, she won and during the next six years traveled and got to know cavers from all over the U.S. As chair of the NSS Search Committee, she was proud that she was able to persuade Jeanne Gurnee to accept the assignment of serving as the first woman president of the organization in over fifty years. Later, she became chair of the NSS Internal Organizations Committee.

Mom ended this 2001 bio with “When will the powerful realize the necessity to learn that ‘War is not the answer’? Did Albert Schweitzer, Martin Luther King, Jesus of Nazareth, and a host of others die in vain?”

I believe that mom liked to quote the Quaker William Penn from Some Fruits of Solitude In Reflections And Maxims, 1682 when she wrote sympathy letters to people, and so I’ll finish with this quote: For tho' Death be a Dark Passage, it leads to Immortality, and that's Recompense enough for Suffering of it. And yet Faith Lights us, even through the Grave, being the Evidence of Things not seen. And this is the Comfort of the Good, that the Grave cannot hold them, and that they live as soon as they die. For Death is no more than a Turning of us over from Time to Eternity.
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Return to In Memory of