Testing a non-infected cave?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Testing a non-infected cave?

Postby Rick Brinkman » Mar 24, 2010 11:11 am

Has anyone ever tested for Geomyces destructans in a non WNS cave? What about testing caves that are in the path of WNS transmission?

IF (and I realize that it's a BIG if) it were....then we'd know that we have a completely different problem.

Just thinking out loud....
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Re: Testing a non-infected cave?

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 24, 2010 11:16 am

Yes. The sediment sampling that was done during the winter of 2008-2009 took many samples from non-WNS sites. While only a small number of the total samples have been analyzed, none showed Geomyces destructans from other then known WNS sites.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby Rick Brinkman » Mar 24, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks!

Is testing continuing to see when it actually hits those caves?
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby Evan G » Mar 24, 2010 11:46 am

Rick Brinkman wrote:Has anyone ever tested for Geomyces destructans in a non WNS cave? What about testing caves that are in the path of WNS transmission?

Horsethief-Bighorn System has been tested [negative]and we have soil samples going back to 2004. Other Wyoming caves will also be tested such as Spirit Mountain Cave, also the BLM has Decon procedures on all permits handed which asks all cavers to Decon before entering a cave.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Rick,

The large sediment sampling project of last winter is not being replicated. I'd be curious to know what Wyoming is doing - e.g. what sampling protocol was followed, where were the samples sent for analysis, and what were the results? I'm not aware of who is doing this work. Evan says the results for Horsethief-Bighorn were negative, but what tests were performed?

Peter
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Mar 24, 2010 4:24 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:Rick,

The large sediment sampling project of last winter is not being replicated. I'd be curious to know what Wyoming is doing - e.g. what sampling protocol was followed, where were the samples sent for analysis, and what were the results? I'm not aware of who is doing this work. Evan says the results for Horsethief-Bighorn were negative, but what tests were performed?

Peter

Peter Febb. did the sample testing & analysis so you would have to ask him, I collected the samples in 2004.

The original samples where take not because of WNS but where apart of the Horsethief Project which we where documenting radioactivity (alpha, beta, and Gamma), micro and marco biology of the cave, unique geology; such as ash from the Island Park and Huckleberry eruptions from Yellowstone, and the Paleo finds in the cave such as Pleistocene camel, horse bones, and maybe short faced cave bear. Which the project is still ongoing mainly because I went over my radiation dosage limit. The eventual outcome of environmental assessment is to create a management plan for the cave. The cave area is now consider a "mine withdrawal area", which for as long as the cave exists no mining (mainly uranium) is allowed in the area and this area was expanded to include most of Little Mountain a couple of years ago.

I have been asked by the BLM and Park Service to return and collect this years samples to double check any and all results.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 24, 2010 4:35 pm

Thanks, Evan. I will inquire of Peter F. as to what protocols and analysis he used, but I can say that it was not part of the other project.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 24, 2010 4:41 pm

Peter F contacted me about getting some soil samples from Indiana. In that case he was looking for pathogens other than WNS, primarily human-risk ones. I said if he showed me his research permits for State Caves I'd be glad to oblige. Never heard back.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Evan G » Mar 24, 2010 4:45 pm

PYoungbaer wrote: but I can say that it was not part of the other project.

It has become a part of HTC project but indirectly. It will be noted under Cave Biology whether it is there or not at time of sampling.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)