WNS National Plan

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

WNS National Plan

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 17, 2010 5:17 pm

From the USFWS website:

Current news

Federal and state biologists are meeting March 16-18 to work on a national implementation plan for white-nose syndrome. The plan development builds on the draft framework for a national plan (September 2009) and will guide future activities responding to the WNS crisis.

Note: Neither the NSS, BCI, nor academic scientists working on WNS were invited.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Re: WNS National Plan

Postby Evan G » Mar 17, 2010 5:31 pm

Gee the public sector ignoring the input of the the private sector, there is a surprise *sarcasm* ... good old tax dollars at work.
Evan G
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: EEG
NSS #: 28685
Primary Grotto Affiliation: NRMG

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 17, 2010 5:47 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:Note: Neither the NSS, BCI, nor academic scientists working on WNS were invited.

[sarcasm] I'm sure it will great. :woohoo: [/sarcasm]
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby batrotter » Mar 17, 2010 7:36 pm

The obvious has been stated. WNS is now/will be/going to be, a federally controlled/manipulated/influenced issue. It is a political issue!
When are we going to get political?
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby Billy » Mar 17, 2010 7:42 pm

Does anybody know where this meeting is? I find it a little odd because I know David Blehert (USGS, and definitely one of the main federal scientists involved) is giving two talks on Thursday evening and Friday morning at the University of Illinois. He must have a heckuva busy schedule this week.
Billy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 53221
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Near Normal

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 20, 2010 9:12 am

ohh, I think this will be a case where the Federal biologists (USFWS) are telling the state biologists what the party line is. They can either spout the USFWS "wisdom" or get cutoff from the USFWS money tree. Inviting academics and private groups is not necessary in that scenario.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Mar 23, 2010 8:46 am

Peter Y., I layman's terms, can you tell us what was said at this meeting? It appears to me that they are looking for input from cavers to determine how some issues will be decided.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 23, 2010 10:23 am

Brian - No, I can't. I wasn't there, and so far, have seen nothing coming out of the meeting.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 24, 2010 4:17 pm

Apparently no Indiana DNR folks went because the governor wouldn't approve out of state travel even though private money was available to fund it.......
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 24, 2010 4:49 pm

My guess is that this was mostly federal agency personnel. Most states are under budget crunches and out-of-state travel bans are common, as wyandottecaver indicated is the case in Indiana.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JD » Mar 26, 2010 12:33 pm

Cave management policy is way too important to leave to biologists alone. Their myopic view of caves means they are clueless as to the suite of resources and values caves have. They see caves very narrowly, and have little knowledge or expertise outside the narrow area of their mission. This especially true for USFWS and TNC.

Many of these people see caves primarily as biological, especially bat, habitats. Well they are. But they are a lot more than that. They are also vital recreational and educational spaces, they hold important paleontogical resources. They are irreplaceable depositories of archaeological, historical, and other cultural resources, they have other biota dependent on them, they have commercial value, etc.

Cave are too important to leave policy and cave management to biologists. These other values and resource must be acknowledged and protected. All I get is blank stares when I tell them this.

Remember the story of the blind men and the elephant - each feeling a part of the beast and making their narrow conclusions, but none of them getting the overall picture. Thus it is with caves, an elephant with many parts and resources.

USFWS are the blind men.
JD
Frequent Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)