Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrome?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrome?

Postby BrianC » Mar 10, 2010 4:08 pm

After much debate and deliberation, I feel this topic needs to be answered. After all, the nature conservancy in Tennessee, The United States Fish and Wildlife Service, most all of the news articles pertaining to WNS, say we can. This response to the public has just as much credence as the nuclear plant just down the street overheating and radiating vast populations of people. This can happen, yes I agree, but does it happen? do we spread WNS ? In the past three years 100% of the evidence says WE DO NOT! Sure we could spread the spores, sure we can bring dirt and other substance from one cave environment into another. Most of the cave environments are very similar and contain similar species. So is that any different than walking from my yard to my neighbors yard and tracking similar dirt? Not one bit! I strongly concede that bats in maternity and hibernation wards should be avoided so they can do their thing without much interruption. But lets be truthful here! Speculation has sent many of good people down a dangerous path. Speculation has no facts. Speculation must be avoided! The first signs of WNS required constraint and time, to gain some understanding towards facts. Never ever should humans have been named as a vector! Early on we could have been considered possible until, what we now know shows bat to bat for sure, do and will, continue to be the vector. The problem now, is humans have gone from a possible to probable vector in more recent remarks from official sources. Official sources are now asking private land owners to close their caves? I have a huge concern here! What has happened? So the question , Do cavers spread WNS?, must be answered, or the caves must be opened. A post response to Cheryl (a long time 10 years or 100 years) is not realistic! If our great science cannot figure this out, then we will have to change science! :bat sticker:

I wanted to edit this to show humiliation I received. I told a customer in conversation that "I am a caver" and received a reply " So you guys are spreading the bat disease"
Last edited by BrianC on Oct 5, 2010 10:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Oct 2, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: up on this here mountain
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby Scott McCrea » Mar 10, 2010 4:15 pm

Image
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
User avatar
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 3198
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 3:07 pm
Location: Asheville, NC USA
NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby LukeM » Mar 10, 2010 4:56 pm

Ok here we go. Without speculating...Are we spreading WNS?

*Drum roll*...

NO! Whoops I was speculating.

Ok, YES! Ah crap. Still speculation.

I'm gonna have agree with Mr. Picard on this one.
User avatar
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Jan 30, 2008 2:53 pm
Location: Albany, NY
Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby driggs » Mar 10, 2010 5:00 pm

BrianC wrote:If our great science cannot figure this out, then we will have to change science!


After reading through a few-hundred posts on CaveChat, I'm pretty confidant that some people here already have!

:rofl:
User avatar
driggs
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Sep 12, 2005 9:40 pm
Location: State of Jefferson
Name: David A. Riggs
NSS #: 56189
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Monongahela
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby BrianC » Mar 10, 2010 5:10 pm

I would really like facts! :grin:
User avatar
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Oct 2, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: up on this here mountain
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 10, 2010 6:56 pm

LOL Scott!

Brian,

I sympathize with you, and agree that the difference between possibility and probability have been trampled underfoot. However.......

The question really isn't can humans spread WNS, or even do humans spread WNS, it's do they spread WNS enough to matter? Do they spread it long distances in uncertain environments without bat hosts? Do they spread it regularly at short distances? Both questions are important and have different management implications

Now, as you point out yourself,(though you say the opposite) 100% of the evidence doesn't say anything. There is information that could support both sides that you provide. What is lacking is observation of events that preclude bats, that would show us it *is* happening rather than if it can.

Caves are NOT similiar like you and your neighbors yard! That is why the USFWS approach is so flawed. Your simply making the same mistake in reverse.

Besides, at this point it doesn't matter. Bats are dying, caves are being closed, rash and illinformed decissions and statements are rampant. Now its simply a proverbial knife fight (using letters, petitions, and press releases) to see who wins after the smoke clears.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
User avatar
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2902
Joined: Aug 24, 2007 8:44 pm
Location: Indiana
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby hewhocaves » Mar 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Scott McCrea wrote:Image

Mister Data, How many fingers am I holding up?

To answer the original poster's question, in heiroglyphics.... that is, in :egyptian: ....

:question: :shrug: :panic: :beatinghorse:

a counter opinion followed, as uncovered at Giza...

:mad2: :mad2: :nuts:

But mostly they felt thusly about it....

:duel: :bash: :badpc: :punch:


And then one day Pharaoh got tired of it and said.... :shhh:
and made them build the pyramids.
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
User avatar
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 716
Joined: Sep 5, 2005 9:43 pm
Location: Morgantown WV
Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby ArCaver » Mar 10, 2010 8:20 pm

driggs wrote:
BrianC wrote:If our great science cannot figure this out, then we will have to change science!


After reading through a few-hundred posts on CaveChat, I'm pretty confidant that some people here already have!

:rofl:


As have not a small number of biologists.
User avatar
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 567
Joined: Jul 31, 2006 12:42 pm
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby Dwight Livingston » Mar 10, 2010 9:20 pm

BrianC wrote:Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?


Excellent question, Brian. I know I don't.
***************
Dwight Livingston
User avatar
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Sep 6, 2005 7:17 am
NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby BrianC » Mar 11, 2010 11:27 am

The question is very simple, Do cavers spread WNS? (A syndrome associated with incredible high mortality in bats) Not, do cavers spread spores? The answer is also simple, yes or no! If John Q Public is told that cavers are spreading WNS, then facts have to back up the statement. Again this is a very simple question, and if the response is not sure, then any statement by official sources can only be "We don't know". The statements made currently are Possible, Probable, and more than likely.
User avatar
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Oct 2, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: up on this here mountain
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby MUD » Mar 11, 2010 11:51 am

hewhocaves wrote:
Scott McCrea wrote:Image

Mister Data, How many fingers am I holding up?

To answer the original poster's question, in heiroglyphics.... that is, in :egyptian: ....

:question: :shrug: :panic: :beatinghorse:

a counter opinion followed, as uncovered at Giza...

:mad2: :mad2: :nuts:

But mostly they felt thusly about it....

:duel: :bash: :badpc: :punch:


And then one day Pharaoh got tired of it and said.... :shhh:
and made them build the pyramids.


:rofl: Y'all fellers must be sittin at home smokin some hooch! :panic: :lmao:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 1242
Joined: Mar 15, 2006 11:28 pm
Primary Grotto Affiliation: None
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby BrianC » Mar 11, 2010 2:52 pm

The answer to this question WILL lead to the discovery of what WNS is. Why are so many afraid of this?
User avatar
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Oct 2, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: up on this here mountain
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby BrianC » Mar 16, 2010 9:08 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10073/1042461-110.stm I re posted this from another thread. It demonstrates factual evidence for the caver transport falsities.
User avatar
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Oct 2, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: up on this here mountain
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby BrianC » Mar 17, 2010 9:06 am

:shhh:
User avatar
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Oct 2, 2006 2:34 pm
Location: up on this here mountain
  

Re: Do Cavers spread White Nose Syndrom?

Postby tncaver » May 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Simple answer to this thread is NO. :big grin:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster
 
Posts: 2626
Joined: May 17, 2007 7:03 pm
  

Next

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]