USFWS CONTROLL

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: USFWS CONTROLL

Postby BrianC » Mar 1, 2010 11:50 am

LukeM wrote:Brian, are you aware of any bat scientists that have been restricted in a way that has affected their research and ability to help the bats?

The USFWS was established to protect Americans rights to enjoy the great outdoors!

You have it wrong.

The Mission of the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service:
Working with others to conserve, protect and
enhance fish, wildlife, and plants and
their habitats for the continuing benefit of the American people

Luke! First I can see that if the law does take effect, then the bat research restriction will happen! I will try to stop this and have been trying!
Second, no I don't have it wrong, The mission statement says this!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LukeM » Mar 1, 2010 12:12 pm

First I can see that if the law does take effect, then the bat research restriction will happen!

Where are you getting your information? From the 2nd CBD petition:

"1. Reducing disturbance to hibernacula and possible vectors for infection by WNS is paramount: keeping caves within Areas 1 and 2 open to commercial use seems like an admission that these areas are a total loss for bat conservation; while this may ultimately be true, relinquishing protections now is premature. However, access for research purposes should be maintained. Similarly, keeping caves within Area 3 open to commercial use is an invitation for infection and disturbance of caves that represent refugia for affected bat species. Maintaining access for research purposes, e.g., periodic surveys, seems advisable.

Strict protocols for decontamination and movement between caves for research purposes should be developed and enforced. Population monitoring should become a priority of the highest order, as an understanding of the temporal and spatial patterns of decline is essential: identifying and protecting both high-risk and more stable populations should be part of a comprehensive management strategy, particularly because most hibernacula host multiple species which may not respond synchronously to infection."

Emphasis added.

No, you really do have it wrong. The FWS mission statement puts conservation first for the enjoyment of the public. If you're going to go making statements about who says what and who's wrong, at least have the decency to say why or provide some quotes or links or something.
LukeM
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Luke Mazza
NSS #: 59317
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby BrianC » Mar 1, 2010 12:24 pm

LukeM wrote:

No, you really do have it wrong. The FWS mission statement puts conservation first for the enjoyment of the public. If you're going to go making statements about who says what and who's wrong, at least have the decency to say why or provide some quotes or links or something.

Luke, The Constitution of the United States is my proof! Our government owns absolutely nothing, Nada,zilch,0! our government does nothing more than speak for the people! We elect our representatives to voice our needs rather than every petition having to be voted upon by every single American!That is how it works! Our federal property is ours to conserve and manage to best fit the needs of the people! Anything other than this is UN American! I absolutely want the federal property managed and conserved in a way that my kids and grand kids can enjoy as I have!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 1, 2010 12:26 pm

Folks,

This thread is careening out of "controll" (sic). The idea of states suing each other over WNS is pure nonsense. In these times where every state except Alaska is experiencing huge budget deficits, taking on such a quixotic legal endeavor would be sheer folly. I'm also not aware of any laws proposed on the subject - period. Anything the USFWS does in response to the CBD petitions - if anything - will be published in the Federal Register for all the public to see and respond to. USFWS is part of the Department of Interior, along with the National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, and others. Each has discreet missions. The agencies themselves have a challenge in meshing their missions and responsibilities in the face of WNS. Check out Jeremy Coleman's presentations covering this subject.

By the way, the NSS issued a press release this morning that should be of interest:

http://www.caves.org/WNS/Press%20Release%20WNS%2010.3.1.pdf
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby BrianC » Mar 1, 2010 12:53 pm

Peter! Your wisdom prevails!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Ron Fulcher » Mar 2, 2010 7:54 pm

Peter,

How many caves have ever been opened back up with a press release?

I understand that feel good moment but as Larry Matthews reminded us in another thread, Liability for the caves is also a major concern. Show us where a natural area once restricted for any outdoor activity has had those restrictions lifted? The states are just as worried about possible wilderness rescue costs and accidental deaths too. These concerns far outweigh any concern over a few letters or a press release.

The states are currently suing each other that is a fact and if and when WNS becomes a financial liability then the case will be easy to follow with that precedence. The fish will foretell the story for the bats and any other ESA related events.

Ron Fulcher
NSS 44706RL
Ron Fulcher
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 44706RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Rockcastle Regional Grotto

Previous

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)