Solving the mystery of the dying bats

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Solving the mystery of the dying bats

Postby amaddox » Jan 27, 2010 8:05 pm

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/local/20100126_Solving_the_mystery_of_the_dying_bats.html?viewAll=y

This one's from the Philadelphia Inquirer. It actually never says anything about human transmission of WNS. :banana_yay:
Allen Maddox
NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee, Chair

http://www.youcave.org/
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Re: Solving the mystery of the dying bats

Postby BrianC » Jan 28, 2010 9:47 am

"Humans have done a pretty good job of killing a lot of animals, like the buffalo," he said, "but nothing like this has ever been recorded. It's pretty bleak. That's the only way to say it."

This looks like and smells like, must be like!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby amaddox » Jan 28, 2010 10:49 am

I took that as refering to "Some suggest links to pesticides or cascading effects of an altered environment." Maybe I misunderstood.
Allen Maddox
NSS Youth Group Liaison Committee, Chair

http://www.youcave.org/
amaddox
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 55464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Philadelphia Grotto

Postby ohiocaver » Feb 3, 2010 8:49 am

Yes, it is possible humans are a vector for WNS. But so far -- after 3-4 years -- NOT ONE CASE has been linked to humans either as a cause or as a carrier.
Let's see: Malaria must be transported by humans, right? Everywhere people go in the tropics they spread the disease. Oops, that's mosquitoes.
Well, black lung disease ... humans all up and down the Appalachians are giving it to one another. Oops, that's environmental or work related.
Well, then, we know all the old-line diseases like bubonic plague are caused by humans, right? Oops, that was rats and fleas (a double vector!).
How about cancer? Women sitting close to one another at tea parties must spread breast cancer, right? Oops, that's highly genetic.
Bats in the USA with WNS die in bulk. Bats in Europe with WNS, it appears, do not die at all. I suppose, by that same logic, we can conclude that there is no caving in Europe?
If the only tool you choose to take out of your toolbox is a hammer, you'll see every problem as a nail.
If the only possibility these researchers entertain is human causality, they're losing years of valuable research time and a chance to save the remaining bats.
Me? I'd prefer to try a whole bunch of different tools and possibilities -- especially when, after three years, nobody has seen one iota of scientific evidence that humans are involved at all.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby MUD » Feb 3, 2010 8:56 am

curt@curtharler.com wrote:Yes, it is possible humans are a vector for WNS. But so far -- after 3-4 years -- NOT ONE CASE has been linked to humans either as a cause or as a carrier.
Let's see: Malaria must be transported by humans, right? Everywhere people go in the tropics they spread the disease. Oops, that's mosquitoes.
Well, black lung disease ... humans all up and down the Appalachians are giving it to one another. Oops, that's environmental or work related.
Well, then, we know all the old-line diseases like bubonic plague are caused by humans, right? Oops, that was rats and fleas (a double vector!).
How about cancer? Women sitting close to one another at tea parties must spread breast cancer, right? Oops, that's highly genetic.
Bats in the USA with WNS die in bulk. Bats in Europe with WNS, it appears, do not die at all. I suppose, by that same logic, we can conclude that there is no caving in Europe?
If the only tool you choose to take out of your toolbox is a hammer, you'll see every problem as a nail.
If the only possibility these researchers entertain is human causality, they're losing years of valuable research time and a chance to save the remaining bats.
Me? I'd prefer to try a whole bunch of different tools and possibilities -- especially when, after three years, nobody has seen one iota of scientific evidence that humans are involved at all.

:clap: My sentiments exactly! :clap: GREAT post Curt!
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby BrianC » Feb 3, 2010 9:29 am

curt@curtharler.com wrote: after three years, nobody has seen one iota of scientific evidence that humans are involved at all.

It has now been 4 years but who's counting? You got my vote Curt! Thanks for making me feel all jingly inside! :clap:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)