Georgia Calls WNS Meeting for Jan 21, 2010

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Georgia Calls WNS Meeting for Jan 21, 2010

Postby driver3871 » Jul 28, 2011 1:43 pm

John Lovaas wrote:Nicholas-

Yes, it might confuse some folks, in that last night you were asking whether the cave was open, and that you were interested in surveying the cave, and whether there was a map- and today, you are a researcher studying gray bats and WNS, and have permission to visit the cave.

I would certainly hope that the landowner could tell you whether there is a map of the cave or not- since you've already gotten permission from them to enter the cave. And, since you are engaged in research involving a federally endangered species, I would suspect that the USFWS folks issuing the research permit could tell you whether there is a map of the cave. I also suspect the Georgia Speleological Survey could provide you with a map, if one is on file.

Yes it can be confusing... But I am very pleased at how concerned the caving community is. I reread my post and it does seem a bit misguiding. It is a hard to decipher someone skill, eligibility, and credentials merely through a post. I have trained with the best of them (HOOAH D 1/50th!!!) and I have learned from the best of them. Im not implying that I am a rocket sceintist, but I am a concerned, dedicated caver who feels that he should do his part so that all may benefit, beit a caver, bat, or simply the cave itself.

Being an independent sometimes has its downfalls because most everyone assumes that I lack proper training and knowledge, so therefore not a lot is revealed. Which makes it a daunting task for me to obtain information just to be able to complete some research. But I highy respect and value the secrecy,opinions and wishes of the local cavers... As we are all Family..
driver3871
Occasional Poster

Name: Nicholas Driver
NSS #: 63444

Postby tncaver » Jul 28, 2011 8:23 pm

The bottom line is to stay away from the bats whether the cave is open or not. That is why I mentioned it is a bat hibernaculum.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Lowery bats

Postby ON_ROPE » Aug 2, 2011 2:32 pm

Lowery Cave has been mapped. Technically it is not a hibernaculum. It is rather a summer roost for a bachelor colony that shares members with the colony at Fricks cave.
"research" my foot. These bats have already been studied from Tuesday. We know where they hunt from a radio telemetry study. We know population trends from annual measurments of the guano piles. We know they are Grey bats. What are you studying? How to score some endangered specie grant money.
Federal and State permits are required for ANY work involving the Grey bats in this cave. Violations can and do result in fines of $50 thousand per incident.
Leave them alone,
Allen Padgett
ON_ROPE
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 10371
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pigeon Mountain Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Aug 2, 2011 5:31 pm

LOL, he needs to become a politician. I've never seen so many words used to say so little by someone who obviously knew nothing about the topic. I suggest someone contact the owner of Lowry and tell him to load his shotgun with rock salt.

Nicholas,
You might think this place is full of a bunch of hillbilly cavers...and it is. Some of us also have Graduate Degrees in Biology, work for State and Federal Resource Agencies, have managed hibernacula, studied (under permit) endangered bats, worked for private environmental consulting firms, and generally have actually done the things you claim.

Whenever someone uses phrases like "world wide chiropterologist" and "taught by the best".....to explain why they want to enter a gray bat roost in summer ......well that's not a red flag its a hindenburg blimp crashing amid a spectacular blazing inferno.

I could describe in detail why your explanations and objectives are full of hooey....and if you really want to learn about bats, caves, and WNS feeel free to ask. But Alan has the simplest advice for someone of your...errr...obvious skills.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)