WNS Fungus affecting other cave creatures?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: WNS Fungus affecting other cave creatures?

Postby ArCaver » May 11, 2010 1:47 pm

bsteffen wrote:... While they may transfer spores from one cave to another (wild speculation with no supporting evidence), they will never show clincal symptoms as the fungus cannot tolerate such high temperatures.

Some of us (not all, obviously) have been making this same argument, (wild speculation with no supporting evidence) about anthropogenic transfer of WNS. Unsuccessfully.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby LMA » May 15, 2010 7:42 pm

Here's a question I haven't yet seen addressed (forgive me if I've missed it) but to what extent has WNS been investigated with an eye to it being like HIV/AIDS in humans? All of the early reported cases of AIDS involved people who got a very specific kind of cancer and developed rampant fungal infections. As we now know, neither the cancer nor the fungi were the causes of AIDS, rather they're opportune infections that weaken and kill people who have HIV infections. What if WNS is a symptom of a kind of bat specific AIDS?
LMA
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 037189

Postby wyandottecaver » May 15, 2010 8:29 pm

it has been examined/discussed. However, to date no pathogen or other anomolies have been spotted. Technically the "cause" of WNS has shifted from unknown to the fungus, but certainly many folks still realize it might surprise us. The main difference is we haven't seen any other opportunistic infections in bats besides GD.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)