Official PMI Statement on 10% Bleach: NOT FOR WNS DECON

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Official PMI Statement on 10% Bleach: NOT FOR WNS DECON

Postby Bill Putnam » May 18, 2009 1:24 pm

I give up. You win.
Your Kung Fu is the greatest.
:big grin:

[edited to make it clear that the comment was intended to be humorous, and no offense was intended.]
Bill Putnam, NSS 21117 RL/FE
Chairman and Chief Troublemaker
The Revolutionary Hodag Party - Thinking outside the cave.

The jackal can roar,
pretending to be a lion.
The lion is not fooled.
Bill Putnam
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 21117
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Revolutionary Hodag Party

Postby eyecave » Apr 15, 2010 10:13 pm

the answer to all the insecurities and inconsistencies and errors on this issue is really quite simple..................stay outta caves............for now.......stay outta caves........... :yikes: .....
eyecave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: sewanee mountain grotto

Postby ArCaver » Apr 16, 2010 6:05 am

eyecave wrote:the answer to all the insecurities and inconsistencies and errors on this issue is really quite simple..................stay outta caves............for now.......stay outta caves........... :yikes: .....

It would be much better if we could convince those pesky little bats to stay out of caves, or at least to soak themselves in a 10% household bleach solution for 10 minutes in between caves just in case they've picked up some fungal spores.
ArCaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Batgirl » Apr 16, 2010 7:59 am

eyecave wrote:the answer to all the insecurities and inconsistencies and errors on this issue is really quite simple..................stay outta caves............for now.......stay outta caves........... :yikes: .....

Eyecave, I am sure that you mean well, but you should take some time to familiarize yourself with the facts. While it might be possible for people to transmit this disease, it becomes nearly impossible if proper decon is followed and is virtually impossible if you are not traveling between infected (where the spores are found) and clean caves (where they are not). At this time, based on the science, there is absolutely no reason that we should stop caving.
Batgirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Lynn Buffkin
NSS #: 60464
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Sewanee Mountain Grotto

Postby Jon » Oct 2, 2010 1:32 am

OK I may be lost here but isn't 409 antibacterial all purpose cleaner supposed to kill WN? Anybody hear of rope damage from it? Seems everybody is hung up on bleach. I've been soaking my gear in it (409AB) cause I kind of lean toward the bleach trashes fibers train of thought. Not nuts about UV as here in AZ everything plastic never lasts 1/2 as long as it should. So far the 409 AB hasn't trashed my boots nor left my clothes a funny color. Nor does it seem to hurt my floor mats or seat covers.
Jon
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 60164
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cochise County Cavers

Postby PYoungbaer » Oct 8, 2010 3:26 pm

Hi, Jon,

The Antibacterial 409 works fine on hard and soft gear, if applied for the appropriate amount of time (10 minutes, then rinse and dry). It's the 3% quaternary ammonium compound that is the key ingredient.

This does not apply to rope, however. The only tests to date have been done on Sterling ropes, as reported here:
http://www.caves.org/WNS/Sterling%20Results.pdf

None of the other rope manufacturers have yet to do, complete, or announce any results - which I think is very unfortunate.

10% bleach works fine on coveralls, cave packs, other clothing, but AB 409 will, too. But don't use bleach on your rope repeatedly (see PMI's statement on single vs. repeated use - the second post on page one of this thread).

Hope that helps.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby wyandottecaver » Oct 8, 2010 5:02 pm

I have a suspicion that its been VERY fortunate for Sterling. I suspect they are or will as time passes be getting a significant amount of business as a sole source vendor for "decon approved" ropes to government agencies involved in cave work.....Of course some agencies may simply start to view ropes as single-use equipment rather than develop a decon infrastructure....which may explain the lack of enthusiasim for testing among other makers.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Scott McCrea » Oct 8, 2010 9:13 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:10% bleach works fine on ..., cave packs, ...

Works fine on some parts of some packs. Some pack materials may be damaged by bleach. Contact your friendly pack manufacturer if you have questions.
Scott McCrea
SWAYGO
Scott McCrea
Global Moderator

NSS #: 40839RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Flittermouse Grotto

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 8, 2010 9:28 pm

I have a suspicion that its been VERY fortunate for Sterling. I suspect they are or will as time passes be getting a significant amount of business as a sole source vendor for "decon approved" ropes to government agencies involved in cave work.....Of course some agencies may simply start to view ropes as single-use equipment rather than develop a decon infrastructure....which may explain the lack of enthusiasim for testing among other makers.

I asked Steve Hudson at PMI about this. He said they long ago sent rope, webbing, harnesses, and packs to be tested with the various decon chemicals and procedures, and more than once. [deleted unfair conclusions! :roll: ]

I see the test report says "we worked with Sterling Rope." Perhaps at the time other cordage manufacturers were not invited to participate?

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby PYoungbaer » Oct 8, 2010 10:07 pm

Cheryl,

My understanding from Dr. Hazel Barton, whose lab did the Sterling tests, was that the other rope manufacturers did not want anyone outside of their own labs to do the testing - either with the disinfecting agents, or the stress tests.

You may recall that we were working with NSS funds to get this work done, and contacts with several manufacturers were made, including PMI. All were invited to send materials. Elia Kagan was the primary contacting agent for the NSS, and made repeated attempts. Many gear manufacturers did submit items, such as cave coveralls, etc., and Hazel's lab tested many materials with many agents, which has led to the official USFWS cleaning and disinfecting protocols

However, only Sterling rope submitted rope for testing - both with disinfecting agents and for stress test.

So, the ball was and is in the rope manufacturers' court. We do not know to whom PMI sent their materials, nor why there was no response. I would hope that they would take renewed interest, as WNS is likely to be with us for a while.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Hazel » Oct 8, 2010 10:18 pm

Perhaps I should clarify. We did receive rope samples from PMI, quite a few of them. We treated them - extensively - and returned them to the manufacturer for testing. That was over 3 months ago and we have yet to hear anything. This has been very frustrating at our end, as we invested dozens of man-hours in the treatments, with no result.

Hazel
Hazel
Infrequent Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Oct 9, 2010 10:16 am

Hmmmmmmm..... Thanks for the scoop!
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby PYoungbaer » Oct 9, 2010 10:34 am

And thanks to Hazel for correcting my foggy 58 year-old memory.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Smells_Familiar » Apr 19, 2012 12:06 am

Bill and all,
If going the hot water route, the revised NSS decon procedures state that the water only has to be 122*F when submersing the gear for 15 minutes. :banana_yay:
No need to boil or even approach 200*F. Long live our gear! :kewl:
Smells_Familiar
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 64838
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Previous

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)