WNS closes Tennessee

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: WNS closes Tennessee

Postby wyandottecaver » Apr 14, 2009 3:22 pm

David,

the reason I posted the poll was that a prominent NSS member heavily involved in WNS stated he thought there was generally widespread support for the Moratorium. I think there *is* widespread support for making reasonable and prudent limitations in how we cave. NOT in the Moratoria.

Some of the groups you refer to will have decon stations and mandatory inspections for cave trips and some have already limited the choices of caves available. Others have said outright that while the EVENT is continuing most caving will not, subject to closures and bans. The general approach is similiar to the one that the State of Virginia has adopted. Stay out of caves with significant bat populations, decon everywhere every time, limit your caving to a defined geographic area and low risk sites. THAT is what the USFWS should have said.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: WNS closes Tennessee

Postby David Grimes » Apr 14, 2009 6:13 pm

I agree with you and genuinly believe if that was said there would be a far greater support ofr the idea. I also agree that most cavers agree that something needs to be done even limting caving activities but I think it was the ideal to stop caving that is causing all the problems. I would like to think that even the people on this forum who are still actively caving are now avoiding bat caves and definately using decon procedures whether they are proven or not to work. I hope a solution is coming soon because I see a mutiny coming lol.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Previous

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)