US FWS Recommends suspending caving activities

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

US FWS Recommends suspending caving activities

Postby Pippin » Mar 27, 2009 10:32 am

Announcement from the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Please forward this to your local caving remailers and repost freely.

----------------------------
Cave Advisory
March 26, 2009

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recommends suspending activities in caves to protect bats from white-nose syndrome

Advisory:

White-nose syndrome (WNS) is a malady of unknown origin that has killed hundreds of thousands of bats across the northeast United States during the past three years and continues unchecked. It threatens to spread to the Midwest and Southeast, home to many federally endangered bat species as well as some of the largest bat populations in the country.

The evidence collected to date indicates that human activity in caves and mines may be assisting the spread of WNS. The primary agent of concern is a fungus that is new to science and may possibly be an invasive species. This fungus grows best in the cold and wet conditions common to caves and abandoned mines and likely can be transported inadvertently from site-to-site on boots and gear of cave visitors. Therefore, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is recommending actions to reduce the risks of further spread of WNS. We hope that slowing the spread of WNS will buy time that is critical to confirming the cause and potentially implementing management actions to minimize the impacts to native bat populations.

We recognize that the steps we are recommending will require sacrifice from the caving community and others, and we regret this inconvenience. However, the observed devastation to bat populations, exceeding 90 percent mortality at many affected sites, and the evidence for human-assisted spread justifies that we exercise an abundance of caution in managing activities that impact caves and bats. These measures will not be a cure for WNS, but they are necessary to help slow the spread of this affliction and to reduce the risks to bat populations in North America. While it is generally recommended that cavers avoid all caves and mines containing hibernating bats (hibernacula), even in states where WNS is not known to occur, we strongly recommend the following steps to further reduce risks of WNS:

1. A voluntary moratorium, effective immediately, on all caving activity in states known to have hibernacula affected by WNS, and all adjoining states, unless conducted as part of an agency*-sanctioned research or monitoring project. Caves infected with the WNS fungus may not show any obvious signs of its presence, and we do not know the actual geographic distribution of all affected sites. Human activity in affected caves may cause fungal spores and particles to become airborne, thereby contaminating exposed materials and allowing for transport. Although we have confidence in the current protocols for decontamination, there is no way to guarantee efficacy for all equipment in all circumstances, and they may not adequately address needs for technical or vertical gear.

2. Cavers in regions outside the WNS-affected and adjacent states should be using clothing and gear that has never been used in caves or mines in the affected or adjacent states, and should thoroughly clean and contain all clothing and gear upon exiting those locations. Because there is a lag time between the initial point of contact with the causative agent(s) of WNS and the first visible evidence of its presence, we cannot be certain that apparently unaffected sites do not pose a risk for contamination. In order to minimize the risk that WNS could travel across state, regional or national boundaries on clothing and equipment, we are advising that clothing and equipment used outside of the affected region be decontaminated following the protocols available on the Service WNS Web site (see below). This recommendation does not supersede state or local caving orders, and we request that cavers respect and observe all state and local cave closures and advisories.

3. All scientific activities that involve entry into caves or mines where bats reside should be evaluated to determine if the activity has the potential to facilitate the spread of WNS. Much of the research currently under way in bat hibernacula is related to WNS and/or monitoring, and continued research is essential to advancing our understanding of WNS. All non-WNS related research conducted in caves and mines should be coordinated with federal and state conservation agencies (as per No. 1 above). Potential benefits of research will be weighed against the risk posed to bats. Research or monitoring activities should not be conducted if risks cannot adequately be addressed.

4. For all scientific activity, no equipment or clothing that has been used in any cave or mine in a WNS-affected or adjacent state should be used in a cave or mine in an unaffected state. Within an affected state, no equipment or clothing that has been used in a WNS-affected county should be used in an unaffected or unknown county. As an added precaution, researchers should decontaminate all clothing and gear, using protocols available from the Service or a local state agency, when exiting any hibernacula.

At the issuance of this advisory, the investigation of key elements of the cause and spread of WNS has been under way for less than one year. Laboratory and field research currently being conducted will require time for analysis and replication. Therefore, these recommendations will remain in effect until the mechanisms behind transmission of WNS are understood, and/or the means to mitigate the risk of human-assisted transport are developed. We will provide quarterly updates on the status and scope of this advisory via the Service WNS Web site (http://www.fws.gov/northeast/white_nose.html.).

Background and supporting evidence:

We estimate that more than 400,000 bats have died from WNS, including 25,000 federally endangered Indiana bats, and many more bats are at immediate risk. As of March 18, 2009, at least 60 hibernacula in nine states (Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Virginia and West Virginia) are known to be affected by WNS.

Current data indicate that a newly identified fungus (Geomyces sp.) that thrives in the cold and humid conditions characteristic of the caves and mines used by bats is responsible, at least in part, for the impacts and mortality associated with WNS (see: Bat White-Nose Syndrome: An Emerging Fungal Pathogen? <http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/1163874>by Blehert et al. in Science Magazine, vol. 323, 2009, p.229).

While the mechanism of transmission is still unknown, the rapid dispersal of WNS from a single New York cave in 2006 to numerous sites in contiguous northeastern states by 2008 suggests that WNS is likely spread through direct bat-to-bat and bat-to-cave contact. Bats are likely the primary vector for WNS based on the rate of spread through 2008 and the behavior of the species affected. There is mounting evidence, however, that human activity may also be responsible for spreading the causative agent(s) of WNS, even during seasons when bats are not occupying caves. The fungus can grow on many different organic materials, and appears to persist in caves and mines year-round. Fungal spores, and/or other microscopic organisms, can easily become attached to skin, hair, clothing and equipment, and it is possible that such elements could remain viable for weeks or months after leaving a subterranean environment. The discontinuous nature of the rapid spread of WNS, especially to the most recently discovered sites in West Virginia and Virginia, suggests that something other than bat-to-bat transmission is contributing to the spread of WNS. The potential for the human-assisted spread of WNS is further supported by the fact that many of the recently affected sites are also popular destinations for recreational cavers, while many bat hibernacula in less-popular or inaccessible caves between the newly affected caves and those affected in 2008 remain unaffected. Records of caver movements also reveal a connection between sites in these affected regions, additionally suggestive of a link to human activity.

Given the current evidence, and the recent advances in knowledge of the fungus associated with WNS, we have developed our recommendations to address the activities that are likely to contribute to the spread of WNS. At this time, the evidence is lacking to recommend the closure of commercial sites that offer cave tours to the general public. Visitors to commercial sites are less likely to visit multiple caves in a short time-period, generally wear plain clothes and shoes that are not repeatedly used for cave-related activities, and are considered to pose a very low risk for the spread of WNS to new caves. Additionally, we will be working with the owners and operators of commercial caves to help them employ methods to minimize the potential for contaminated materials from entering or leaving their sites.

Caves and mines in the newly affected regions of West Virginia and Virginia shelter bat species not previously impacted by WNS. They are also home to some of the largest wintering colonies of hibernating bats in the world, including some of the largest known U.S. populations of the Indiana bat, Virginia big-eared bat and gray bat, all endangered species. Because the Service has responsibility for endangered species, it is imperative that we take the measures necessary to protect these bats. If WNS spreads to these critical hibernacula, or to other significant hibernacula around the world, the impact on bat populations could be devastating.

Moving forward:

Service biologists are working with our federal, state, provincial and private partners to confirm the cause of WNS and to examine the ways in which the affliction spreads. We encourage those agencies and partners who manage cave resources to strongly consider limiting access to caves and mines to slow the spread of WNS.

As we learn more about the potential role of human transmission of WNS, or when we have the means to greatly reduce such risks, we will make the information available on the Service Web site and will revise these recommendations accordingly. Until then, we appreciate the high level of cooperation from all partners in this ongoing effort, as well as the continued cooperation of the public. We fully support all efforts to exercise caution in caving activities, such as the caving moratorium in Virginia, and we applaud the local and national caving organizations for their dedication to a strong conservation ethic. Furthermore, we encourage our partners with national and local caving organizations to continue their outreach and education efforts to spread the word about WNS and about responsible resource stewardship.

For more information, updates, and a map showing affected counties, see http://www.fws.gov/northeast/white_nose.html.

* agency - federal or state natural resource conservation agency, e.g., U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, U.S. Forest Service, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, Pennsylvania Game Commission, etc. See the Service WNS Web site for links to Web sites of several state and federal partners.
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Re: US FWS Recommends suspending caving activities

Postby batrotter » Mar 28, 2009 8:12 am

Just damn.
batrotter
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bruce Trotter
NSS #: 27849RL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Cave Survey

Postby CaverScott » Mar 28, 2009 8:24 am

"A voluntary moratorium, effective immediately, on all caving activity in states known to have hibernacula affected by WNS, and all adjoining states, unless conducted as part of an agency*-sanctioned research or monitoring project. ..."

Perhaps I missed it... Why don't they name (identify) the states for clarity???
CaverScott
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19797L
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Birmingham CIG SCCi IKC

Postby dfcaver » Mar 28, 2009 9:20 am

Federal directives are usually not written with clarity or even logic in mind. The conspiratorial side of me wonders if they can expand the ban more easily by not naming the states. As someone setting at the new epicenter, I wonder what sense a ban here makes. PA is pretty much toast. As always, no good information is coming to we peons from the powers on high. We have never gotten information on caves without WNS, which might lend some insight.

The only effective ban, IMHO, would be on clean states, no the infected. But no ban can stop bat to bat transmission.

In our self induced pause, I consider the wisdom of herding thousands of bats into a handful of sites (via gating and other management techinques) setting the stage for rampant infection. The handing of bats by researchers, and the visits to known WNS sites early in this mess, and what role that may have played.

Will a ban slow the spread? Again, I say no. More bats than ever are now infected, and will spread further this summer, like ripples in a pond. The bigger it gets, the faster it goes.
dfcaver
Prolific Poster

NSS #: 34158
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntingdon County Cave Hunters

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 28, 2009 3:23 pm

It doesnt name states because as was mentioned because they expect WNS to expand and dont want to rewrite it. Id say the main reason there isnt a "clean" list of caves in PA or anywhere else is no one wants to call a cave clean even if they think it is then have WNS show up there. I agree that information flow is horrible but from the government it always is.

The main issue people are overlooking is that the REAL intention for this moratorium has nothing at all to do with the USFWS who actually don't control very few if any caves in these areas. It is a means to encourage the STATES and private owners of caves with protected species to close the caves they DO own. And dont expect those closures to be voluntary. The USFWS is essentially putting those owners in the position of following the USFWS lead or being held liable for future bat deaths from WNS if they dont.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Pippin » Mar 28, 2009 3:27 pm

I think not mentioning the states was an oversight. I emailed an FWS biologist yesterday and these are the states he said are affected:

CT, DE, KY, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, RI, TN, VT, VA, WV.
Pippin
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 22545

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 28, 2009 3:51 pm

Just a clarification. Many of those states are border states NOT WNS states, though as border states they are affected by the USFWS announcement.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby pacaver » Mar 28, 2009 5:49 pm

The organized cavers will stay out, but this won't have an effect on the "flashlight cavers" on ungated caves. While I agree with the ban until a cure or plan can be developed, this ban will be ineffective on open caves. It will just reduce but not eliminate human traffic.
Kevin Dunleavy
York Grotto
MAKC
SCCI
NSS
pacaver
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 47644

Postby MUD » Mar 28, 2009 7:36 pm

pacaver wrote:The organized cavers will stay out

I don't believe that for a second! SOME will stay out...while others will just keep going. There are quite a few cavers out there that could care less. As I've said before...the secret cavers are laughin up a storm! Sad.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Sean Ryan » Mar 29, 2009 11:56 pm

Guess my trip to collect soil samples for White Nose in NJ two weeks ago was the last caving I'll do in the foreseeable future ... unless I drive several states away.

I agree with Kevin. Cavers will stay out, spelunkers will continue (to be fair, most of them will never hear about the ban), and white nose will continue to spread bat to bat.
Sean Ryan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Mar 30, 2009 7:27 am

Sean Ryan wrote:Cavers will stay out, spelunkers will continue

Guess I'm a speeeelunker now! :laughing:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby erebus » Mar 30, 2009 8:14 am

I wonder why the FWS did not recommend closing show caves. Howe Caverns, for instance, is near Ground Zero for WNS, and it has bats in it, even in the tourist sections. Apparently, if you're making money, you're exempt.
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby graveleye » Mar 30, 2009 8:15 am

after seeing the pictures of the guy holding the bat with his bare hands, I am beginning to think researchers probably have more of a chance of spreading it. We don't screw with the bats when we're caving.

Hell, I followed a strict protocol when retrieving soil samples from caves that are not even close to the WNS fallout zone. Latex gloves, decon, changed gloves in between each sample. Complete change of clothes between caves. And then I open up a WNS digest page and there are people handling infected bats with their bare hands. I'll be honest with you - that pisses me off.
ad astra per aspera

http://www.myspace.com/jamthecontrols

The views expressed in this post are not necessarily those of any organization I am affiliated with.

Become a sustaining member of the SCCI
graveleye
Global Moderator

Name: Kevin Glenn
NSS #: 57238RL

Postby erebus » Mar 30, 2009 8:26 am

Cavemud wrote:Guess I'm a speeeelunker now! :laughing:

Well, don't look for the cavers to rescue you, because they aren't allowed in caves anymore. :bananabat:
erebus
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 6752

Postby MUD » Mar 30, 2009 4:37 pm

erebus wrote:
Cavemud wrote:Guess I'm a speeeelunker now! :laughing:

Well, don't look for the cavers to rescue you, because they aren't allowed in caves anymore. :bananabat:

:roll: Who says? I don't recall reading anywhere we're not allowed. The moratorium is VOLUNTARY...and I'm not volunteering! :waving:
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)