US FWS Recommends suspending caving activities

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: US FWS Recommends suspending caving activities

Postby NZcaver » Mar 30, 2009 4:53 pm

Cavemud wrote:
erebus wrote:
Cavemud wrote:Guess I'm a speeeelunker now! :laughing:

Well, don't look for the cavers to rescue you, because they aren't allowed in caves anymore. :bananabat:

:roll: Who says? I don't recall reading anywhere we're not allowed. The moratorium is VOLUNTARY...and I'm not volunteering! :waving:

If called upon for a cave rescue, I have absolutely no qualms about entering any cave to do the job regardless of the bat situation. I would expect most of us to feel the same way. At least I'll try to show up wearing clean caving gear, but I don't expect the fashion police will be on duty at a rescue.

And as Todd so rightly pointed out, this massive moritorium is completely voluntary. You may interpret the recommendations of the USFWS as you see fit.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 30, 2009 6:40 pm

Erebus,

the USFWS announcement and accompanying Q&A talked about Show caves.

Others,

It is my opinion that this moratorium is primarily a device. They certainly hope some cavers some places follow it. But the real audience are cave owners not users. The USFWS explicitly states in it that they expect States, Agencies, and other owners to close caves/restric access to stop/slow WNS. The Q&A elaborates a little further. In short, the USFWS has said to the people who actually OWN the caves that they should close them. Implied is that if they do NOT do that and WNS subsequently shows up, then they could be held accountable because they have failed to follow the USFWS "recommendations".

States receive millions of dollars in USFWS money, and I assure you as a past State employee that the USFWS use that as a very big stick to get their way. If you own/manage a cave with protected species then the noose is even tighter. Many state cave conservancies own caves with endangered species.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Mar 30, 2009 8:16 pm

I think this is just another example of knee jerk government overreaction. This is just another example of Big Brother with his nose in your tent. Get used to it , it is going to get MUCH worse.My gut feeling tells me human influnce has nothing to due with this.Cave On.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby ek » Mar 30, 2009 9:23 pm

If "my gut feeling..." is an argument for "cave on"...well, I'd just like to say explicitly that that's not a very good argument.
Eliah Kagan
NSS 57892
Syracuse University Outing Club

Fund vital White Nose Syndrome research--donate to the NSS and select the WNS Rapid Response Fund.
Facebook users can also donate here.
ek
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Eliah Kagan
NSS #: 57892
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Syracuse University Outing Club

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 31, 2009 4:53 pm

Just heard that the Daniel Boone NF in KY may soon be closing it's caves. I'll try to follow up.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Previous

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)