WNS question

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

WNS question

Postby tncaver » Feb 11, 2009 11:42 am

With all the WNS investigations going on, is anyone doing any banding of the bats in an attempt to see where
they go after hibernation each year? Perhaps that could provide a clue to the cause of WNS or at least in what
direction it could be spreading next.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: WNS question

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 11, 2009 5:18 pm

I don't know details about specific projects, but bat banding has recently regained some favour and was being done regularly even before WNS. radio transmitters are also being used. The major obstacle is that you can't band ALL of them, and once they disperse from hibernation it is hard to re-locate specific banded bats on the landscape. Some basic data has been collected on movements though.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 11, 2009 6:13 pm

I can imagine that any radio transmitters would have to be extremely small and light weight since
many bats weigh only an ounce or two themselves.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Indeed. most are down to tenths of a gram in weight and about the size of 2 pieces of rice crispy cereal. I have pictures at home I'll post later.

Even better, here is a brochure of a "bat sized" transmitter from one of the leading companies

http://www.titley.com.au/uploads/Single ... itters.pdf
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)