Fungus serious threat to North American bats

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fungus serious threat to NE bats

Postby tncaver » Jan 29, 2008 8:23 am

Isn't it also possible that the White Nose syndrome is occurring only to bats that have changed their normal
activities in some manner? For example, change of diet from the norm, or traveling to new areas with
different plant species. Humans encounter new diseases in exactly that way. Bats could too.

Cavers and speleologists may have absolutely nothing to do with this recently noticed threat to bats. And
of course there is the change of climate. It was mentioned that some bats were observed hibernating in a new
location within the cave that is closer to the entrance than previously noted. This could allow hibernating
bats to encounter greater temperature and humidity changes throughout their hibernation.

In Tennessee I've noticed many bats look nice and dry while others are completely white due to condensation
that covers their entire bodies. I've often wondered if being completely covered by water vapor was harmful
to the sleeping bats.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Jan 29, 2008 9:50 am

No. Condensation and/or water droplets are not harmful to sleeping bats.
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby John Chenger » Jan 29, 2008 9:56 am

If anything the condensation is thought to help prevent dehydration, especially with the long term hibernators like pips. Dehydration is thought to be a big reason for bats naturally arousing in the winter.

JC
John Chenger
Prolific Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 29, 2008 5:32 pm

TNCaver
I don't think anyone is saying humans ARE the method of transport, only that we might be. It is possible humans are not or possibly cannot be vectors of the disease. The main thing is we don't know so we are being cautious.

As to a new diet or change of habit, it is certainly very likely that SOMETHING changed for this disease to suddenly become so serious, but again we just don't know, and even if the source of the pathogen is not people that doesn't mean we couldn't possibly spread it. (or even catch it)

In short, regardless of where this came from, how it spreads, or what it's ultimate impact on bats will be, the one certain thing is that until more questions get answered it is in my own opinion foolhardy not to drastically change the way EVERYONE caves in the NE and surrounding areas for at least the next year.
:off topic:

When winter tours were conducted In Wyandotte Cave, it seemed fairly obvious that the few wet areas near the hibernation roosts (in particular a moist ceiling depression about 3' across) were very heavily visited by active bats during the winter. Wyandotte is mostly a very very dry cave especially in the roost areas and short of exiting the cave, this was the closest source of moisture.

Pips in particular seem to seek out the wettest areas. I have seen them hanging off actively dripping formations.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Jan 29, 2008 5:58 pm

Sorry wyandottecaver but my statement is absolutely NOT off topic. In no way am I suggesting that the NE
bat caves should continue to allow caving as usual. Restricting traffic for a year might be very revealing or
it might show no change at all. Either way we would learn from the result. I merely made suggestions for
reasonable causes of the disease and what to look for. There are many possible causes and we certainly don't
want to miss one due to predjudice for or against caving or the activities involved.
Last edited by tncaver on Feb 1, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 29, 2008 6:19 pm

sorry.. my mis-communication. my off-topic sign was referring to the discussion of pips and moisture below it.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Jan 29, 2008 6:27 pm

wyandottecaver,
I think we are on the same page. :waving:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby nordicjw » Jan 30, 2008 6:19 pm

NY and Vt have requested a caving moratorium in bat hiberation caves during the winter months that they are present. Also that all caving gear be thoroughly cleaned between cave visits.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/41621.html

http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/Detail ... y__ID=1273
Last edited by nordicjw on Jan 30, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nordicjw
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 56861
Primary Grotto Affiliation: ccg

Postby tncaver » Jan 30, 2008 6:21 pm

Sounds like a good plan until a cause is determined or it is determined that humans are not the cause
of White Nose.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby monikadna » Jan 31, 2008 12:21 am

Hi, I am not a bat expert, but have been noticing that there is a wide pattern of endocrine disruption going on in a lot of different species. One sure sign is a yeast overgrowth - I am not sure if this fungus overgrowth could also be related, but worth checking. One reason I think it might be is because the bats are quickly deprived of their fat reserves indicating ketoacidosis. Has anyone checked the blood sugar of infected bats? Is there any difference in the infected bats? Are there any articles citing blood work?
monikadna
New Poster

Postby Ray Keeler » Jan 31, 2008 9:32 pm

Hello All,

I am the Administrative VP of the NSS and and NSS Preserves fall in My department. After reading the summaries and preliminary reports along with emails with Buford Pruitt, the NSS Preserves Manager, we have decided to close the NSS Preserves in the Northeast for the remainder of the winter.

The NSS BOG has already authorized $20K in research monies for NSS Preserves. My hope is that acceptable proposals can be put together that can help in the determiniation and possible mitigation methodologies necessary necessary to reduce the impact and spread of this disease. Research proposals would go through the RAC review process.

Please spread the word.

thanks,

Ray
Ray Keeler
Occasional Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 31, 2008 9:56 pm

Ray,

Please accept and pass along my congratulations to all those involved in making a timely and prudent decision.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby buckethead » Feb 1, 2008 7:03 am

Closing the affected caves sounds wise.

After reading about the fungus growing on fur around their noses but not in their lungs, I wonder if the deaths are due to a change in behavior.

The fungus could produce a disagreeable odor or irritate their lungs and drive them towards better ventilated areas where temperatures may be colder.
buckethead
New Poster

NSS #: 44981
Primary Grotto Affiliation: HHG

Postby tncaver » Feb 1, 2008 8:55 am

monikadna has made a very interesting suggestion to check blood and endocrine of infected bats as compared to
normal healthy bats. I hope there is someone in the NE who is capable of doing those tests.
It was mentioned that similar symptoms are showing up in other species. It would be ideal to learn the cause
and a way to prevent White Nose Syndrome. Although a cure in the form of a vaccine would be difficult to
administer to great numbers of bats, it might be the only way to save them if White Nose were to spread
rapidly around the country. Endocrine and blood tests might provide a clue to the cause that doesn't involve
medicine of any kind. Just a better understanding of what is causing it and a possible remedy.
Good luck to everyone who is working on the problem.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby JimWest » Feb 1, 2008 9:08 am

The bats may be effected by air pollution. Note recent high avian mortality also in Albany and other locations in NYS. Staten Island, next to NJ industries found many dead birds. "Falling out of the sky" in groups, was one observation.

Air pollution is a prime suspect (for me) though probably a taboo topic to many on this list.

I visited Bob Zink, owner of Staten Island animal refuge in year 2000.
I compared his log book entries (about 600) with EPA air pollution readings.
http://www.geocities.com/noxot/year2000 ... ge2000.htm

The results show an obvious relation. Another result was that only 6% of the incidents (usually mortality) were related to crows. Apparently crows are big, black and dramatic, so they make the news more easily than sparrows which are camoflaged and fall into the bushes and grass.

-Jim
JimWest
New Poster

PreviousNext

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)