Fungus serious threat to North American bats

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fungus serious threat to NE bats

Postby icave » Feb 12, 2008 1:02 pm

George Dasher wrote:Are there dead bats (littering the floor) or are the bats "missing?"

11,000 dead bats should equal a lot of dead bodies...

Excellent question George. You would think that that number of dead bats would also lead to a ton of potential data collection opportunities.

For those that may be summarily dismissing the "warming" theory related to these deaths, other than this last fall, when was the last time in the northeast you remember lush green leaves on the trees well into November, and some into December? This last fall I noticed bats still flying outside my house well after all the insects were long dead. If you don't remember, I was the one with the 167+ bat colony living in my house, so I am EXTREMELY familiar with their habbits, at least pertaining to my colony. I know my bats are still alive, as I heard them in my wall a few weeks ago.

I personally have never seen as many bats flying around after the insects were gone as I did this last year. I know that's not a scientific study, but it is my personal first hand experience with this last fall.

For reference, I live in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania, near Bethlehem. I'm not sure if similar observations were made in NY or VT, but in my area of PA I am alarmed by how late bats have been active.

Also, our grotto went to Cave Rat Cave last President's Day Weekend and I saw more bats active in the cave than I have EVER seen in the winter before. Even got a great view of what looked like two bats trying to make more little bats. It seems to me that the increased bat activit late in the season and during the winter should not be dismissed, and may play a large roll in the future.

Anyone that thinks warming can't suddenly effect a new specices just needs to ask a frog, or a polar bear.

Thanks again to all who are studying this issue and working to find our what is causing this. Overall, I agree that erring on the side of caution is a good thing.

Mike Spencer
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Feb 12, 2008 3:52 pm

nordicjw wrote:The NCC at a special meeting on Feb. 10, 2008 voted to close the caves and properties under their control. This will take effect as of 2/10/08 and remain in effect until May 15,2008. This closure effects Knox Cave, Clarksville Cave, Onesquethaw Cave, Ella Armstrong Cave, and Sellecks Cave Preserve. These are all located in SE New York State.

They join in the request that cavers stay out of caves with known bat populations.

More information as it becomes available.

And here is the official press release from the NCC, dated today (Feb 12) -

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 12, 2008
NORTHEASTERN CAVE CONSERVANCY CLOSES CAVES -
Cavers asked to assist in combating bat deaths

Robert Addis, President
Peter Youngbaer, Vice President
Christa Hay, Publicity Chair

Latham, New York -
The Northeastern Cave Conservancy voted Sunday, February 10, at an emergency Board meeting, to immediately close all its caves to visitation in order to help protect thousands of hibernating bats that are threatened by a mysterious illness known as White Nose Syndrome.

The NCC Trustees also advised all cavers - casual and otherwise - to voluntarily restrict their caving until May 15, 2008, in any cave known to host bats and to help develop a cave visitation data base in order to assist scientists to track humancmovement in affected caves. White Nose Syndrome has been linked by scientists to the death of thousands of bats in New York and Vermont, and has been confirmed in two of the NCC Caves.

The caves affected by closure include: Clarksville Cave, Ladder Cave, Knox Cave, Crossbones Cave, Ella Armstrong Cave, and Onesquethaw Cave in Albany County, and Selleck's Cave, Cave 575, and Levy's Cave in Schoharie County. The closure will last until the end of bat hibernation, May 15, 2008, with the proviso that pending further studies and recommendations from the appropriate state and federal agencies, bat scientists, or others, this closure may be
extended or modified. Only entry authorized by the property managers for scientific and research purposes will be permitted.

Several of these caves are highly visited by youth groups, including camps, church groups, outing clubs, and scouts. These groups may make plans for the summer, but are warned that continued closure is possible, or even likely. Groups should continue to contact the cave group liaison on the NCC Website (http://www.necaveconservancy.org) for up to date information.

The NCC's action follows on the heels of the National Speleological Society's closure of its northeastern cave preserves, Schoharie Caverns, Barton Hill (Gage's Cave), McFail's Cave Preserve, all in New York, and Tytoona Cave Preserve, in Pennsylvania. The Cave Manager of the NSS-owned John Guilday Cave Preserve, in West Virginia (Trout and Hamilton Caves) has also closed those caves, as a preventative measure.

While no evidence at this time demonstrates that people are responsible for spreading the White Nose Syndrome, it is clear that many of the bats are under stress. A common symptom has been that the fat stores they need for a successful hibernation have been depleted. Human presence generally disturbs the bats, and causes them to increase their movement and metabolism, using up precious stored resources. Thus, cavers are advised to stay out of caves or mines with bats at this time. It is important to note that this advisory does not include any commercial caves. These caves generally take measures to isolate any bats from the general public. Visitors to these tourist attractions are also not likely to then visit wild caves and risk spreading any contaminants.

The NCC also urgently requests cavers to send in data on visits to the four New York caves where there were large bat mortalities in 2007: Knox Cave, Gage Caverns, Schoharie Caverns, and Haile's Cave. Anyone who has visited any of these four caves since January 1, 2007, is asked to log onto the NCC website (see above) and fill in a trip log. Respondents will then be asked to list all other caves visited since then - no matter where. By focusing on these four caves, it will enable scientists and cavers in other states and countries to look for any similar occurrences, and help determine whether people are spreading the condition. This will be critical information in determining when to reopen caves.

Bill Folsom, Treasurer
Northeastern Cave Conservancy, Inc.
http://www.necaveconservancy.org
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Name: Jansen
NSS #: 50665RL

Postby icave » Feb 12, 2008 3:59 pm

With Chris Sander's permission, I am reprinting below Chris' response to some of the questions I raised regarding Mr. Stone's interview. I believe Chris provides some well thought answers to several of the important points made in the interview.

Mike,

I can provide a few of the answers you are looking for. I've embeded them into your original message and put my text in blue. I'm not in the heart of the WNS research area and time is needed to sort these things out so I've not been looking to the NY folks for the theory of the day, so I may be a bit behind on the latest. Here's what I thought about the Stone radio interview. I apologize to those of you who are on multiple lists and are going to get this six times, but that Stone interview seems to be leading people down an unlikely belief path that needs some alternate explanation. Please forward this to any NY and New England caver listserves.

I'm highly suspicious of his global warming arguments. We would be seeing infections and issues range wide, PA's weather has been as odd as NY's. Bats can do some moving around in hibernation sites to find the best temperatures in a site. Many of NY's mines are huge and have varied temperature zones.

There is no doubt that the fungus could be and probably is an opportunistic infection, but even if so, something is enabling that infection to take root. He mentioned items like PCBs, mercury, etc. as possible stressors, bats in hibernacula of this size come from large areas, a 100 mile or more radius from each of the big ones is likely and now the affected hibernacula are up to 135 miles from one another. It is unlikely that all these bats would have picked up the same environmental poison across this range. This leads me to believe whatever is affecting the bats is being transferred, probably bat to bat, but could be person to bat. Could just be a bat cold or the flu that is weakening them and making them susceptible to fungus, I don't know and will be waiting to see more lab/pathology/necropsy data. What he fails to mention is that yes, these types if fungus are common, but it's pretty unlikely that they have been described to the species level (I could be wrong, but small soil fungus types are more likely IDed to family or genus level) so this could be a new strain.

I do think that closing caves in WV might be a bit premature, but caution is wise when faced with grave situations. I also think that every cave with more than 100 bats should be closed in winter regardless of white nose or not. Closing all NY/New England caves/mines is an excellent precaution, cleaning of cave gear is also a super good idea just in case either the main cause or one of the stressors could hitch a ride to distant areas.

At this point, there are some ideas and theories floating around, but more time is needed to really figure out the root of this problem. Dr Ward Stone is jumping to a conclusion not supported by the facts before there has been time to really look at the data.

At 11:49 AM 2/12/2008, Mike Spencer wrote:

1. Is the fungus commonly naturally occuring in caves as he states? If so, are the types found on the dead/dying bats unique to the areas with bat kills?

I'm not 100% sure, so I am speculating to some degree, but things as small as soil fungus are not generally identified to species. A genus or family sure. However the specific species on the bats could be new or from China or Texas or who knows where.

2. He reports finding many other dead bats not exhibiting any fungus. What are the current bat expert thoughts on this? I would expect if the fungus were the cause it would be seen on all related kills.

Maybe, maybe not. Here's a wild example, not likely to be true, but an example of why we have to keep open minds and not lock onto one theory. If in these colonies of lots of bats, some have a killer fungus and it wakes them up due to low fat reserves or those infected bats can't go back into hibernation after waking normally (bats wake every few weeks to get a drink and maybe kick start their immune system), these distressed bats might make a lot of noise/ruckus in the hibernacula and wake healthy bats up too often for the NON infected bats to survive hibernation. There is just SO much we don't know it's hard guess what the answers might be.

3. He reports only supperficial and potential secondary fungal growths. What have others found? Are agencies currently culturing the fungus to examine them in more detail?

I'd go as far as assuming lots of things are being looked at, cultured, tested. I did hear some of the bats had pneumonia like symptoms.

4. Are there any reports or thoughs on the statement of finding bats outside caves/mines with the same problems in fat reserve? This concerns me geratly if the reports are ture, as it could indicate a much wider problem than just caves and mines.

I kinda was under the impression he was referring to bats that had left hibernacula in the winter because they had too low body fat to stay and were turning up in other places. I have not heard of summer kills that are thought to be related to the WNS.

5. It there a potential relation between the warm weather we have had the last few years with a decrease in bat fat reserves? I have personally observed bats flying much later into November in the last few years that any other years I can remember. What have you seen?

Could be, but unlikely. Generally if it's warm enough for bats to be flying, it's warm enough for the bugs they eat to come out. Bats such as the big brown hibernate in areas (cliffs, talus, houses) where temperature fluctuate and are known for getting up and foraging in warm snaps. In areas with over wintering tree bats they can exhibit the same wake and eat when warm behavior. Most of the bats you see flying in winter are probably not the same bat species being seen in high numbers dying in the NY sites.

Cross your fingers and keep an open mind.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris Sanders
Sanders Environmental Inc.
Signature, I don't need no stinkin signature!
icave
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Spencer
NSS #: 48165
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Greater Allentown Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Icave

thank you for reposting from chris sanders. much of the ground had been crossed before in my earlier posts, but it is helpful for all of us to see someone else knowledgable about bat biology contributing.

As to "where are the bodies" I don't have that info. I know many dead bats were collected from the sites and sent to various researchers and labs but how many were found I don't know...but will ask. I suspect most estimates are being based on the difference between previous years and current year populations which can be speculative.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Fungus theory:
Moths rest upon and eat thousands of varieties of plant and leaves. These plants and leaves carry
many varieties of fungus. Moths logically would carry many fungi on their bodies which when touched
shed a "dust" which would logically contain these fungi.

Bats eat moths. It makes sense that fungi carried by moths would appear around the mouth and nose
area of bats. It is entirely possible that the fungi found on White Nose Bats could have originated from
moths that were eaten by those bats.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 12, 2008 9:56 pm

tncaver wrote:Fungus theory:
Moths rest upon and eat thousands of varieties of plant and leaves. These plants and leaves carry
many varieties of fungus. Moths logically would carry many fungi on their bodies which when touched
shed a "dust" which would logically contain these fungi.

Bats eat moths. It makes sense that fungi carried by moths would appear around the mouth and nose
area of bats. It is entirely possible that the fungi found on White Nose Bats could have originated from
moths that were eaten by those bats.

This type of thing is indeed one of the prevalent theories at the moment.

After Al Hicks gave his update on the WNS situation at last Sunday's NCC meeting, the possible soil/plant/insect fusarium connection was one of many topics which attracted further discussion. Currently there are numerous labs (at least a half-dozen) around the country working hard to get a handle on WNS. Even as results start coming in, I imagine the process will be to check, recheck, compare and consult before leaping to any conclusions about the how, why, and what to do about it. Right now the best we in the Northeast can do is take extra precautions to avoid the bats entirely, and be patient for the second half of the winter.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 12, 2008 9:56 pm

TNcaver.

yes that is a vary plausible scenario. but there are other considerations.

since the pathogen (whatever it is) has *apparently* just started to infect bats in a major way in the last 2 years and bats have been feeding on insects for a looong time it would likely have to be a new introduced pathogen. Also, the range of bat species infected feed on a range of insects that may or may not overlap greatly. these insects themselves feed on a wide range of plants (or other insects) that may not overlap. This means that the pathogen would have to simultaneously be present in a wide range of prey species (possible) or migrate from one prey species into the bat population by spreading bat-bat. (also possible)

Also, infections in general tend to have the easiest time in areas that are damaged. bat muzzles are frequently exposed to the spiky legs and battering wings of their not too willing prey. while the damage may be very very minor, it may in general serve as a better foothold than hair-covered hides or leathery wings. Also note that while the muzzle is the most common location, it is also found on the belly, sides, and other areas as well. The other thing that may make the muzzle attractive is moisture/saliva. As bats lick and groom their muzzles may hold more moisture or provide a more direct route of infection.

Not saying this isn't carried by moths, because it easily could be. just giving additional considerations.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Feb 13, 2008 8:03 am

wyandottecaver,
I feel like a good effort is being made to figure out the cause of the bat deaths in Northeast Caves.
The NSS Discussion Board is providing an excellent opportunity to share thoughts, ideas and theories
concerning the White Nose Syndrome. That is what a discussion board is for.

All reasonable ideas should be considered and not discounted until proven by factual information.
I hope those in the know (with actual facts) will keep us all informed as they discover more
data concerning this scourge on the bat population.

Although some ideas concerning the cause of WNS may sound simple, the solution to the
problem may be complicated. If for instance extreme weather patterns were to be verified as
the cause of death for many of the bats, that would not be so easy to fix.
If fungus is determined to be the only cause of death, that also may not be so easy to fix.
And there may be more theories yet to come as more data is collected.
Hopefully this mystery will be solved eventually. Of course the sooner the better. :bat:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby George Dasher » Feb 13, 2008 9:51 am

There is a question I would like to be clear on....

These caves, mines, and other locations where the white-nose syndrome has been found...

Are there dead bats (littering the floor) or are the bats "missing?"

I thought this was an easy question. Is there an answer?
George Dasher
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16643
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Feb 13, 2008 12:31 pm

George Dasher wrote:
There is a question I would like to be clear on....

These caves, mines, and other locations where the white-nose syndrome has been found...

Are there dead bats (littering the floor) or are the bats "missing?"

I thought this was an easy question. Is there an answer?

Read the number 1 and 3 posts in this thread (yes, 8 pages ago).

I'm by no means an expert on this matter, but here's my understanding. Thousands(?) of dead bat bodies were found in several caves by the end of last winter, some with white noses and some not. This winter the bat count numbers are way down, and many live bats currently in certain northeast caves are displaying white nose symptoms. Also this winter, a large number of bats (with or without white noses) are exhibiting unusual restlessness (ie flying around more than usual and exiting the cave, instead of peacefully hibernating). I don't believe large numbers of additional fresh bat bodies have been discovered in caves yet this winter, but I'm not absolutely sure. Anybody who knows more feel free to speak up.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby Dwight Livingston » Feb 13, 2008 1:06 pm

NZcaver wrote:Read the number 1 and 3 posts in this thread (yes, 8 pages ago).

Read through them and you find no mention of finding thousands of dead bats. The most is "quite a few." As usual, no distinction is made between finding dead bats and dead bats inferred by drastically reduced counts.
Dwight Livingston
Dwight Livingston
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 27411
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Baltimore Grotto

Postby NZcaver » Feb 13, 2008 1:48 pm

Dwight Livingston wrote:
NZcaver wrote:Read the number 1 and 3 posts in this thread (yes, 8 pages ago).

Read through them and you find no mention of finding thousands of dead bats. The most is "quite a few." As usual, no distinction is made between finding dead bats and dead bats inferred by drastically reduced counts.

My mistake.

I may have been thinking of the press releases in recent weeks, with statements like this:

Alan Hicks, a bat specialist with New York's Department of Environmental Conservation, called the quick-spreading disorder the "gravest threat" to bats he had ever seen. Up to 11,000 bats were found dead last winter and many more are showing signs illness this winter. One hard-hit cave went from more than 15,000 bats two years ago to 1,500 now, he said.

From FOXNews.com

Of course it's quite possible the media chose to use more sensational wording by saying found dead instead of missing and presumed dead. I'd suggest contacting Al Hicks directly to ask, but he's a little busy right now.
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 13, 2008 6:30 pm

george,

I have posed that question via another forum to those directly involved and hope to hear back soon.
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby NZcaver » Feb 13, 2008 11:34 pm

Just a reminder that in an effort to assist wildlife officials, the Northeastern Cave Conservancy has developed an online cave visitation log. The NCC is asking any persons who visited Knox Cave, Gage Cave, Schoharie Caverns or Haile's Cave since January 1, 2007, to log onto the NCC Web site at http://www.necaveconservancy.org/add_wns_data.php and log their visits.

Please distribute this information to the wider caving community. Thank you.

(Yes, this is a duplicate post. Sorry for repeating myself, but I feel this announcement is sufficiently important.)
NZcaver
Global Moderator

Postby hewhocaves » Feb 14, 2008 12:07 am

I posted this to the VARlistserver, but I'd like to post it here to see what a larger cross-section thinks:

" I would gently like to add another question which has been troubling me for the past month: Since this is the second year it's coming around, why didn't we hear about this last winter? I mean, it's entirely possible I missed the email last January, but was it just not recognized as a threat or what?

John Tudek "
The NSS and WNS: Cooperation, not confrontation.
hewhocaves
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: John Tudek
NSS #: 36021
Primary Grotto Affiliation: MonGrotto

PreviousNext

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)