Merlin Tuttle's Statement on California WNS Report

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Merlin Tuttle's Statement on California WNS Report

Postby PYoungbaer » Jul 16, 2019 9:38 am

7/12/2019

By Merin Tuttle

Amid media announcements that the fungus that causes white-nose syndrome in bats has spread to California, and growing public concern, The Wildlife Society announced the most recent attempt to find a cure. On July 9, an article titled “Bacteria treatment helps bats survive white-nose syndrome,” suggested progress toward a cure. However, there is no evidence that human intervention can slow the spread or cure the disease. As I’ve reported, the best available studies from the Northeast indicate that population recovery at key sites is exceeding expectations, and that a cure is unnecessary, impractical to implement, and risks unintended negative consequences.

Several treatments appear to be effective in countering the infection in captive bats. However, when released the bats remain susceptible to reinfection and death. By releasing such bats near the end of the cycle, when only those with greatest genetic resistance remain, we would risk diluting the remaining gene pool, reducing the odds of survival, just the opposite of the intended goal.

Given the odds of unintended consequences, it may be fortunate that effective implementation of a cure in wild bat populations is so logistically hopeless as to be virtually inconceivable. We must not put funding opportunities ahead of bat needs. Finally, during this time of extreme stress, it is urgent that we recognize the importance of avoiding hibernation disturbance regardless of good intentions. I urge a reallocation of resources from cure-hunting to habitat restoration and protection, beginning with the most important hibernation sites.

I have shared this response with the The Wildlife Society and encourage others to comment as well.

Best wishes,

Merlin

Merlin Tuttle, Founder & Executive Director, Merlin Tuttle's Bat Conservation
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Re: Merlin Tuttle's Statement on California WNS Report

Postby ohiocaver » Jul 27, 2019 7:32 am

Was this re-typed from somewhere else?
I'm a bit suspicious since there are two major mistakes in the quoted material...including a misspelling of Merlin's name. Just askin'.... :roll:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby trogman » Jul 30, 2019 5:14 am

ohiocaver wrote:Was this re-typed from somewhere else?
I'm a bit suspicious since there are two major mistakes in the quoted material...including a misspelling of Merlin's name. Just askin'.... :roll:

That is odd that his name is misspelled. However, it appears to be an exact copy of what appears on his website. https://www.merlintuttle.org/news-blog/

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby ohiocaver » Jul 30, 2019 8:03 am

Mistakes happen. I wasn't questioning Peter's honesty...just seems a bit odd for Merlin to put out something not proofread or spell checked. :cavechat:
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Postby PYoungbaer » Aug 12, 2019 10:28 am

Typos were strictly Merlin's. Frankly, didn't notice them myself - was focusing on the content.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)