Current WNS decon procedures??

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Current WNS decon procedures??

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 2, 2016 10:25 pm

I quit caving a few years ago. I'm considering getting back into it.

The last I knew, in order to be a "good" caver...I had to bleach all of my gear. (NOT going to happen with me)

I was wondering if that had changed (seems like I read something about using hot water in the washing machine to clean gear).

I didn't find an easy/quick link to current decon procedures.....anywhere. If it was there, I missed it.

I'd appreciate a link.....

Thanks!
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Re: Current WNS decon procedures??

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 2, 2016 11:21 pm

Reasonable and informed scientists, cavers, and even some government agencies have by now realized that WNS decon is essentially a waste of time. Further, the USFWS decon procedures are impractical and were largely ignored/amended accordingly. It is interesting that the NSS decon page, while it still links the 2012 USFWS protocol, does not strongly encourage a specific standard of decontamination, saying simply:

"PLEASE CLEAN AND DISINFECT YOUR CAVE GEAR!
Caving Clothes and gear used within WNS-affected regions should not be taken outside of that region. Local agencies can implement their own clean caving or decontamination protocols, please see the USFWS page for guidance."

So, while cavers must still act, or appear to act, in accordance with government protocols when on government property, they should otherwise feel free to clean their gear however they see fit.

If you still want to disinfect your gear to the accepted standard for killing pd, submersion in hot water, effective at sustained temperatures ≥50ºC (122ºF) for 20 minutes, has been shown to be effective. Follow the links on the above referenced NSS page for more details.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Rick Brinkman » Jan 2, 2016 11:40 pm

I know that your answer can't be taken as "official" in any way. ....but, thanks. That helps.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby GroundquestMSA » Jan 2, 2016 11:54 pm

Nope, not official, just the observations of a borderline recalcitrant. :big grin:
There has never been any such thing as an all-encompassing "official" standard. Government agencies have made their rules for specific bits of land, and bodies like the NSS have made various recommendations. Ultimately though, it has always been up to the individual caver.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)