Request for help for a bat project

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Request for help for a bat project

Postby boogercaver71 » Feb 5, 2015 1:20 pm

Here is a request I said I would pass along.

Hi Bill:

Please send this out to the troops to see if anyone is interested. This can be a great project for all who have the time and interest.

Thanks, Rick
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 3:22 PM
Subject: Request for help with bat project

Hi Rick,

Can you please pass the following information to NSS? I’m guessing some of their members might be interested in this project.

I am looking for approximately 50 volunteers who are willing to do some preliminary testing of a new citizen science project focused on bats. The volunteers will watch several 30 second videos of bats flying around a gated mine, use a list of behaviors to identify what they saw the bats doing in the video, and take a short survey to provide feedback on their experience.

We are in the early developmental stages of the project and the feedback we receive will help us improve the final project. When completed, the citizen science project will be online and open to anyone to who wants to participate. We just need some help getting to that point.

I am compiling a list of people willing to test the project. The only requirements are that they are 18 years old or older, be interested in bats and bat behaviors, and willing to help out.

Anyone who is interested in participating should email me at shannon.trimboli@wku.edu by Feb. 10. If we get more than 50 volunteers, then we’ll have to limit the list so that we can keep the test manageable. After I get the list compiled, I will email everyone on the list a link to the test site and more detailed directions about what we would like for each volunteer to do.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Shannon
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Re: Request for help for a bat project

Postby William Bagwell » Feb 10, 2015 9:31 pm

"Anyone who is interested in participating should email me at shannon.trimboli@wku.edu by Feb. 10."

Just sent a reply today on the deadline and got an auto-ack back "I will be out of the office until Monday, February 23. I will return your message when I get back."

13 day extension? :shrug:
William Bagwell
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 24064
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Inactive. DCG mid 1980s

Postby boogercaver71 » Feb 11, 2015 4:35 pm

William..I guess, I was just asked to pass this along from someone at Mammoth Cave
boogercaver71
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 19471

Postby William Bagwell » Feb 11, 2015 5:35 pm

Received a real reply about an hour after the auto-ack. Got one of last remaining slots so I'm in :bananabat:
William Bagwell
Occasional Poster

NSS #: 24064
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Inactive. DCG mid 1980s

Postby Phil Winkler » Feb 11, 2015 8:09 pm

William, I guess you are up to bat then! :)
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)