Indiana Bat Survey Data

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Indiana Bat Survey Data

Postby bigredfoote » Jan 16, 2014 12:02 pm

The 2013 Indiana Bat Survey Data has been published. http://www.fws.gov/midwest/Endangered/m ... ug2013.pdf
bigredfoote
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 45211
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pajarito

Re: Indiana Bat Survey Data

Postby wyandottecaver » Jan 26, 2014 2:07 pm

I wonder if they followed a radioed bat to the new MO hibernacula or someone was naive enough to actually share cave data with them still.....
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Feb 9, 2014 11:57 am

I have been waiting to see this report. This biennial report on the Indiana bat surveys is one of the best longitudinal pictures we have of an endangered bat species, and, in particular, one affected by WNS. The chart is very understandable, and I urge everyone to take a few minutes to check it out.

Here's what I note:

1. Most surprising, no significant impact in the major habitat region, which includes Indiana. That region contains 81% of the known population. While WNS has been found in Indiana, it's effect on Indiana bats has not been significant to date. Now, given the two-year lag time in effect on Indianas vs. Little browns in Hellhole, for example, we may find a greater impact in another two years. However, personally, I would have thought we'd have seen it by now - seven years after the NSS Convention brought pre-deconned cavers from the Northeast to the state (myself included).

2. New York shows signs of recovery.

3. West Virginia shows significant decline, consistent with the field reports, such as the major loss of I-bats in Hellhole Cave

4. Most other areas show little or no change, and given the small numbers, probably not statistically significant. The one state that bears additional attention, in my opinion, is Arkansas. It's proximity to Missouri and that state's reported Indiana bat population decline well prior to WNS may indicate other habitat issues for the species separate from WNS. Now, Missouri bat researchers were noting that decline prior to the recent discovery of the major new hibernaculum mentioned in the chart - with over 100,000 Indianas.

5. Bottom line is that despite some significant losses in particular states and sites, the overall Indiana bat population is relatively stable.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby wyandottecaver » Feb 27, 2014 9:30 pm

been a while since I have been around cavechat. I too was surprised at the relatively stable populations to date even being in a more temparate area than the NE. Indiana in particular and the midwest in general are experiancing their first "decent" winter in several years. Since previous data shows much of the mortality occuring late season, and we are expecting well below normal temps into March, I wonder if this will impact the next survey period.

Another thought is that this is the core of their range, meaning that there are quite likely a larger number of dispersed hidden reserves of bats not offically counted. This could be stabilizing the observed populations in popular hibernacula at least in the near term.

In any event, it may just be that WNS in the more temperate midwest is simply not as devastating at a population scale as in more marginal climates.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)