Bat Headed for Listing as Endangered Species

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Bat Headed for Listing as Endangered Species

Postby Tlaloc » Oct 27, 2013 10:52 am

Tlaloc
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Bat Headed for Listing as Endangered Species

Postby PYoungbaer » May 13, 2014 11:13 am

Four midwestern state DNRs call on USFWS to use "targeted" habitat management to protect Northern Long-eared bat:
[url]
http://www.walkermn.com/news/usfws-prop ... f887a.html[/url]

A joint letter from the Minnesota, Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin Departments of Natural Resources was sent April 17 to the USFWS. The Cass County Board approved a similar letter to USFWS.

Both letters ask USFWS to delay the listing until all forest management partners are involved and consulted. The letter from the four DNRs points out that “because of the life history of this species, avoiding 100 percent of potential summer roosting habitat is simply unrealistic ... Instead, we would advocate for a more targeted approach,” by retaining cavity trees during timber harvesting operations and by identifying summer roosts through surveys, so they can be avoided during timber management activities.

So, avoiding 100% of roosting habitat is simply unrealistic. What about winter roosting habitat and a targeted approach for caves? Seems common sense should prevail in both instances. My two cents.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Re: Bat Headed for Listing as Endangered Species

Postby bigredfoote » May 13, 2014 7:14 pm

Thanks Peter,

I'll add this to my list of stories we can tell to land managers to show that they can consider options other than blanket closures. Non-commercial caves(and even commercial caves) don't contribute to the economy as much as logging, but Forests do have to consider multiple use.
bigredfoote
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 45211
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Pajarito

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)