WNS and Indiana

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

WNS and Indiana

Postby ohiocaver » Jul 19, 2013 8:48 pm

:banana: I understand that a state land agency in Indiana is moving toward re-opening some caves that were closed due to WNS. Does anyone have details?
This might be the Fish & Wildlife people... Whichever agency it is, they seem to be taking a sane approach to the current scientific knowledge about spread of WNS vis-a-vis humans.
ohiocaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: curt harler
NSS #: 22735RCLFe
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Cleveland Grotto MAKC

Re: WNS and Indiana

Postby wyandottecaver » Jul 20, 2013 8:10 am

I have not heard anything specific yet, but a group of cavers have been working with the Indiana State Department of Natural Resources through some friendly legislators to open some "targeted" non bat caves. I believe they feel they are close to a resoultion that would open at least some caves. The importance will likely lie not in the exact caves opened which is likely to be insignificant, but in the prededent which will be very important.

The USFWS people in Indiana are the WORST people with respect to caver access in the entire country in my opinion (in contrast, the Forest Service folks are outstanding). The USFWS in Indiana are the folks who when asked about Indiana caves opening after WNS saturation in the U.S., explained they had "international responsibilities" to prevent its spread..... Essentially all the resistance at the State level is in fact driven by those Indiana USFWS folks who both threaten legal action (in some cases to the point of the absurd) and at the same time dump piles of cash on the DNR to keep them amenable.

My Indiana USFWS rant will now come to a close :)
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)