Georgia State University Research?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Georgia State University Research?

Postby David Grimes » Jul 17, 2013 9:55 am

I have heard some rumors that GSU researchers have possibly found a biological antagonism that will permanently inhibit spore germination of G. Destructans. I heard that the info was in a BCI article but I cannot find anything about it on their website or anywhere else. Has anyone heard of this and if so could you post a link to your source.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Re: Georgia State University Research?

Postby Phil Winkler » Jul 18, 2013 8:05 am

David,

It might be a moot point since Hazel Barton has found it to be a different species then GD. Look at the other topic.
Phil Winkler
13627 FE
Phil Winkler
Global Moderator

NSS #: 13627FE

Postby wyandottecaver » Jul 20, 2013 8:01 am

Actually, my understanding was GD no longer exists as a species. They simply reclassified the existing organisim into a different genera.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Jul 23, 2013 8:27 am

Dave,

The latest issue of the BCI newsletter featured an article on this research ("The Enemy of My Enemy Is My Friend"), which involves bacteria as a biological control. I've asked BCI if this has been published elsewhere so we can post the scientific link, but the key person is on vacation this week.

The article focuses on the work of GSU grad student Chris Cornelison, a microbiologist, and the bacterium Rhodococcus rhodochrous

It is a promising article, and the lab success is encouraging. The article concludes by saying that, if ultimately successful, bacterial mats may be able to be placed in hibernacula during hibernation season, keep the fungus at bay, and then be removed for the summer. They say the necessary precautionary things about needing to study the full effect on the cave environment before doing it in a cave. I would expect that, if the tests continue successfully, it may be tried in a mine hibernaculum first.

The fact that G.d has been renamed P.d. would be irrelevant, as they tested it on the actual G.d (now P.d.) fungus.

Peter
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby trogman » Jul 23, 2013 9:07 am

PYoungbaer wrote:Dave,

The fact that G.d has been renamed P.d. would be irrelevant, as they tested it on the actual G.d (now P.d.) fungus.

Peter

In other words, "A rose by any other name..."

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby David Grimes » Jul 24, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks Peter for the info, I had heard some very vague news about the article and I was really curious. Hopefully we are getting closer to some form of a "real" solution.
David Grimes
Admin

NSS #: 59533
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Indiana Underground Society

Postby PYoungbaer » Jul 25, 2013 6:36 pm

You're welcome, Dave. Just heard from Katie Gillies at BCI that the paper is Chris Cornelison's dissertation and is currently in press awaiting publication. If you have access to BCI's newsletter, BATS, it's the feature story this month. As with the on-line NSS News, however, BATS also has a year's delay in posting back issues on line.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)