Research Paper: Cave Access Management and WNS

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Research Paper: Cave Access Management and WNS

Postby cln1212 » Nov 2, 2012 4:35 pm

Greetings,
I am a senior at the University of Tennessee, studying Forestry with a concentration in Wildland Recreation. Currently, I am writing a research paper to study the ways that people value natural resources and how they should be incorporated into management decisions. My hope is to gain experience and understand how to involve the values and purposes of diverse stakeholders into natural resource decision making procedures. In our day and time, I believe this process is critical for effective natural resource management. Specifically, I am focusing on white-nose syndrome management and recreational opportunity effects. If any recreational cavers or cave visitors would like to take the opportunity to express their views regarding white-nose syndrome/cave management to be used in my research, I have attached a link that will take you to my online interview form. The questions are in open-ended format and any input will truly be useful and appreciated. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at cnipper@utk.edu.

Interview Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dFdxXzBNM19kVjBEWjZSMDl3WFZGbVE6MQ (Moderator note: added on 11/7/12 . . . this form was closed by the developer of the survey because she has the information she wanted/needed. This is/was a school project and had to have a stopping point.)

With respect and thanks for your time,
Cathy Nipper
cln1212
Infrequent Poster

Re: Research Paper: Cave Access Management and WNS

Postby mgmills » Nov 2, 2012 8:58 pm

cln1212 wrote:Greetings,
I am a senior at the University of Tennessee, studying Forestry with a concentration in Wildland Recreation. Currently, I am writing a research paper to study the ways that people value natural resources and how they should be incorporated into management decisions. My hope is to gain experience and understand how to involve the values and purposes of diverse stakeholders into natural resource decision making procedures. In our day and time, I believe this process is critical for effective natural resource management. Specifically, I am focusing on white-nose syndrome management and recreational opportunity effects. If any recreational cavers or cave visitors would like to take the opportunity to express their views regarding white-nose syndrome/cave management to be used in my research, I have attached a link that will take you to my online interview form. The questions are in open-ended format and any input will truly be useful and appreciated. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at cnipper@utk.edu.

Interview Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dFdxXzBNM19kVjBEWjZSMDl3WFZGbVE6MQ (Moderator note: added on 11/7/12. . . this form was closed by the developer of the survey because she has the information she wanted/needed. This is/was a school project and had to have a stopping point.)

With respect and thanks for your time,
Cathy Nipper

I just completed the survey. It was thought provoking. I liked the open ended questions.

Hopefully other cavers will participate.
Martha Mills
NSS 39864
mgmills
Global Moderator

Name: Martha Mills
NSS #: 39864
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dogwood City Grotto

Postby cavedad » Nov 3, 2012 1:56 pm

I too just completed the survey. Interesting and insightful questions. It was a pleasure to provide input. I encourage all to take advantage of the opportunity.
cavedad
Occasional Poster

Name: John Meeks
NSS #: 59348
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Charleston

Postby JSDunham » Nov 5, 2012 10:32 am

Great work putting that together. Most of the questions very well-phrased. Thanks for looking for input from users of the resources.
JSDunham
Frequent Poster

Name: John Dunham
NSS #: 55186
Primary Grotto Affiliation: VCA

Postby PYoungbaer » Nov 5, 2012 4:43 pm

I also just completed the survey, and agree with the previous commenters. I urge everyone to take the opportunity to fill out the survey. It is well-done, thought-provoking, and will take a little time, but I believe is worth the effort.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby GroundquestMSA » Nov 5, 2012 11:31 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:I also just completed the survey, and agree with the previous commenters. I urge everyone to take the opportunity to fill out the survey. It is well-done, thought-provoking, and will take a little time, but I believe is worth the effort.

Likewise
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cln1212 » Nov 6, 2012 6:45 pm

I am extremely grateful to those of you who took the time to complete my interview form. Because I have received an abundant amount of valuable responses, I am now closing the form to further usage. Your passion regarding these subjects is clear, and I am truly captivated by the responses I have received. I look forward to including your comments while further examining cave management decisions and believe they will be especially useful when distinguishing between decisions that are made as a reaction to pressures and those which anticipate or respond to needs and opportunities. Thanks to your input, I am enabled to present a broader view of understanding the impacts and cascading affects that have occurred as a result of white-nose syndrome management actions within my research paper.

Best,

Cathy Nipper
cnipper@utk.edu
cln1212
Infrequent Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)