USFS Region 2 Issues New Closure Order

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

USFS Region 2 Issues New Closure Order

Postby PYoungbaer » Aug 2, 2012 10:29 am

The U.S. Forest Service Region 2 has issued a new closure order for Region 2. The press release is below, and we are posting a link to the full closure order, including decon protocols, on the NSS WNS web page (www.caves.org/WNS). It should be up shortly.

The order is for one year, and includes exemptions for members of the NSS and CRF to engage in caving activities consistent with terms of the national Memoranda of Understanding between the two organizations and the USFS. Advance permission is required.

More details will be forthcoming, but here's the news release:

Forest Service Extends Closure of Abandoned Mines and Caves as New Studies Indicate 5.5 Million Bats Have Died

Closure seeks to protect bat species from White-Nose Syndrome

DENVER, August 1, 2012—Regional Forester Daniel Jirón signed an extension to an emergency order today to restrict access to all caves and abandoned mines on National Forests and Grasslands in the Rocky Mountain Region of the U.S. Forest Service (Colorado, Wyoming, South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas). The intent of the closure is to minimize the risk of the human spread of the fungus (Geomyces destructans) that causes White-nose Syndrome.

“Our priority is to protect bat species and habitat from the westward spread of WNS, a deadly disease that has killed 5.5 million bats since 2006,” said Daniel Jirón, regional forester, U.S. Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Region. “The fungus has not yet been detected within the five-state Rocky Mountain Region and we are taking an aggressive approach to minimizing the risk of humans inadvertently introducing the fungus into our caves and abandoned mines.”

The emergency order will extend the initial closure for another 12 months beginning 1 August 2012, and includes specific exemptions for further research and coordination. This year, the closure order provides exemptions to active members of the National Speleological Society and Cave Research Foundation for activities consistent with national agreements with both organizations. Jirón commented that “the Forest Service values the expertise of the caving community and views them as stewards of important cave resources and habitat.” The agreements allow for education, inventory, research, monitoring, protection, restoration and other activities necessary to conserve cave resources. Access will not be granted to caves during the winter hibernation season, October 15 - April 15.

There are roughly 30,000 abandoned mines and hundreds of caves on National Forest System lands throughout the Rocky Mountain Region. In addition, National Forests in the Rocky Mountain Region support about 21 species of bats; 15 of which are hibernating bats. Once a colony is infected, it spreads rapidly and can kill over 90 percent of bats within the cave in just two years.

Scientists are certain transmission of WNS is occurring bat-to-bat and cave-to-bat. Scientists also suspect transmission of WNS may be facilitated by human activity in caves where bats hibernate, because of the geographically discontinuous spread of the fungus. People may be transporting fungal spores from cave to cave, as fungal spores have been detected on gear exposed to affected sites.

WNS is named for a white fungus that appears on the faces, ears, wings, and feet of hibernating bats. The disease causes bats to come out of hibernation severely underweight, often starving before the insects on which they feed emerge in the spring.

There have been no reported human illnesses attributed to the fungus.

In 2009, the Forest Service closed its caves and mines in the southern and eastern United States, and they remain closed today.

For more information about WNS, visit:

· The U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service: http://www.fws.gov/WhiteNoseSyndrome/
· USGS Fort Collins Science Center WNS site: http://www.fort.usgs.gov/WNS/
· National Speleological Society: http://www.caves.org/
· Bat Conservation International, Inc.: http://www.batcon.org
· The U. S. Geological Survey: http://www.fort.usgs.gov/WNS/
· The National Wildlife Health: http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/disease_inform ... /index.jsp
· Rocky Mountain Region of the U.S. Forest Service: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/
· Western Bat Working Group: http://www.wbwg.org/conservation/whiten ... enose.html
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Re: USFS Region 2 Issues New Closure Order

Postby iceclimb » Aug 3, 2012 8:04 am

Here is the Forest Service Page:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r2/home/? ... rdb5319926

and the FAQ:
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r2/home/? ... rdb5201144

What seems to be missing is contact info and a procedure for requesting access, along with timeline for said access. It had previously been mentioned that cavers requesting access should contact a "Forest Supervisor". I have the feeling once a few people follow this procedure, and the process is known, there will be a number of changes to the process, simply because volume and actual caving practice are different than what they've experienced with research practice. One thing to note, with the request the NSS member needs to show their card with valid dates, not just provide the NSS number. I'm going to have to go find mine!
iceclimb
Infrequent Poster

NSS #: 36048
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Nittany

Postby Dave Luckins » Aug 3, 2012 8:59 am

If a member has misplaced their membership card, calling the office at 256-852-1300 or emailing nss@caves.org will get a new card mailed to you. The office is lined up and ready to help.

Dave Luckins, OVP
:bat sticker:
Dave Luckins
Frequent Poster

Name: Dave Luckins
NSS #: 14010
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Michigan Interlakes Grotto

Postby Rick Brinkman » Aug 4, 2012 11:59 pm

]I'm ANGRY.

What a pile of BS.......with apparent.....NSS and local grotto support......!!!??????

WTF!!!!!!!!!?????????????????

Why would the NSS support this?? Why would ANY CO grotto even try to agree with this????

I'm only a caver....if I pay dues????? THEN I can go caving?........

BS

Colorado cavers should be ashamed. YOU guys have the largest grotto in the whole WEST... and THIS is what you come up with.......................................................
Last edited by Rick Brinkman on Aug 5, 2012 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Caves are rare and precious things. Cavers...even more so. Treat each accordingly.
NSS#42385(not current...give me a reason to change...(Sept 2010))
http://www.CoffeeCreekGear.com
Rick Brinkman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: mt_vertcaver
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Montana-Independent

Postby Teresa » Aug 5, 2012 12:53 am

I guess I'm not following this.

Getting the NSS inclusion for access is progress. In the region where I live, it's CRF on work trips and nothing else. We're hopeful that if this works out with people getting more access back in the west, there might be some hope for us, by mere stint of precedent.

It's called, get the nose of the camel in the tent, and hope that the good behavior of some will get more and more cavers across the country access again.
The bureaucratic reason is quite simple. NSS membership (for rightly or wrongly) implies that people have at least heard of WNS, and disinfection techniques and will abide by them. The same cannot be said for John Q. Public Caver. He/she may or may not have heard of the Fish and WIldlife protocols. Most general media reports make reference to decon, but very very few of them actually link to it. or say what it is.

Now, I know unaffiliated cavers who are very good, more conservation minded than some some NSS cavers I know. But playing the numbers, NSS members will have at least have heard of WNS/decon/cave cleanly on a higher percentage than general public cavers.

The whole caver exclusion thing nationwide smells, and has for many years. But how else would you proceed? It's like it is 1950, and we're starting all over again with government cave access. Sigh.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Aug 5, 2012 6:20 am

It seems John Q. Caver has more access privileges than NSS and grotto members, except maybe for caves that are locked shut.They can plead ignorance of the rules and go caving anyway.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby caverdan » Aug 5, 2012 8:27 am

Rick Brinkman wrote: Why would ANY CO grotto even try to agree with this?

You think we have a choice in this ?
Member: Colorado Madrats, SoCoMoGro,CWSG.
caverdan
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 40262

Postby tncaver » Aug 5, 2012 8:54 am

Actually, no. The current deal probably is the best you can get. At least you will have access to some caves, so I'm glad for
you guys. I was just pointing out the irony of these stupid cave closures.

caverdan wrote:

tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Aug 5, 2012 9:02 am

How could anyone only caving locally in CO possibly harm anything.
Be angry at me for advocating caving. I'm angry at the Forest Service for these ridiculous closures.
Any non-caver here would typically ask, "Aren't all the caves closed?".
I'm sure this has hindered MANY people with an interest in caving.
But who cares about newbies anyways, right?

caverdan wrote:

Don't you dare paint all CO cavers with the same brush. All of us have feelings about this issue accross the board. And obviously you can see how much of a voice we feel we have, as only a few even want to speak out on the matter.

I'll just leave with this.
Virgin cave waits for no one.
:waving:
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Postby PYoungbaer » Aug 5, 2012 11:07 am

[quote="Rick Brinkman"]

Why would the NSS support this?? Why would ANY CO grotto even try to agree with this????

Rick,

For the record, the USFS policy is theirs alone, not anything the NSS or Colorado grottos "agreed" to.

The NSS has been on record for two years opposed to the blanket closure order as documented in this letter of protest filed at the time. I drafted it, and it went out over then NSS-President Gordon Birkheimer's signature: http://www.caves.org/WNS/USFS%20Region%202%20Rick%20Cables%20WNS%20Letter-1.pdf

USFS replied: http://www.caves.org/WNS/USDA-WNS%20Response-1.pdf, and this became the starting point for negotiations to open a group of USFS caves to NSS Convention attendees during the 2011 Glenwood Springs Convention.

At that Convention, during the WNS Session, the discussion began between Corlordao cavers (grottos and Colorado Cave Survey), the state and USFS about the continuation of the blanket closure order, which was about to expire. USFS felt it didn't have time to do a thorough review in 2011, but persistence on the the part of several people, with Derek Bristol taking the lead contact role, was successful in getting a many months-long process going to see if we could move the compass. The very good experiences during the 2011 Convention, and the fact that no WNS was introduced, high-profile decon, borrowed gear policy for eastern visitors, etc. were very helpful in making that happen.

Since some time in May, there has been media speculation and pressure from cavers and, on the opposite side from the Center for Biological Diversity, which filed an Intent to Sue Region 2 for not protecting bats. Region 2, to its credit, continued active discussions about altering the closure order which expired last month. Input was sought from the caving community, and primarily coordinated through Derek Bristol, representing the Colorado grottos through the Colorado Cave Survey. He sought input from the NSS Board of Governors, and the NSS Legal Committee, and local input. I was in regular and frequent contact commenting on the formal letter of proposal that was submitted.

At no time did the NSS nor Derek support a permit process or a continuation of the blanket Closure Order. We hoped and advocated for the previous Order to expire. We have always argued that if any caves were to be closed, they be identified as priority bat hibernacula and done as a targeted closure.

With that background and political context, and after the letters, phone calls, and emails circulated, USFS came back with their draft, just within the past two weeks. Derek circulated this for comment, and most people were unanimous in opposing a permit system, opposing blanket closures, and opposing blanket winter closures of non-bat caves. those were major points, and I don't mean to gloss over others, but in the interest of time and space will leave it at that.

USFS took our input and feedback, and issued the policy, virtually unchanged from the draft. Details such as how to implement the pre-authorizations for trips remain to be worked out. Personally, I remain hopeful that the USFS is sincere in its desire to make this as un-bureaucratic as possible, including on-line capabilities.

Is this a full re-opening of all caves in USFS Region 2 with no conditions? Absolutely not. Realistically, was anyone really thinking that was going to happen? Let's face it, while Region 2 has no WNS to date, they are still concerned that it may come.

In the meantime, for the past two years, caving has been prohibited entirely within Region 2 under any conditions - with the exception of the caves opened during the Convention.

Now, caves are open through this new system to NSS and CRF members for activities consistent with the national MOUs. That list of activities is extremely broad, and the intent of the MOUs has always been for the NSS and CRF to provide assistance to the admittedly under-resourced USFS in understanding and managing its cave resources. We've done this for decades for federal agencies, to our mutual benefit. Filing a brief trip report is not a burdensome chore, and can help build the documentation for both targeted actions (e.g. designation of a "significant" cave under the Federal Cave Resources Protection Act with the consultation of the caving community as incorporated into that federal law), but also to create the record for reopening more caves that are not at any particular risk - for bats or other concerns.

We had nothing for the past two years; now we have access again. No, it's not under all the terms and conditions we wanted, but again, as Derek stated in an email to CCS folks, our "input" was sought, not our "agreement."

That said, I do think this is progress that can be built upon. If a user-friendly permission system can perform well and the activities move forward, additional progress can be made. Those things are within our and USFS's control. WNS is not, and that's the wild card that still hangs out there.

Finally, Region 2 cavers should also remember that this is not the only Region where discussion have and are taking place, and USFS folks are in contact with each other regularly to follow what each other is doing.

In Region 8, the NSS' VAR wrote a letter asking not to continue the blanket closure order there (southeastern U.S.). It was extended, but the USFS folks encouraged proposals from the caving community for projects within the region, where before they wouldn't entertain anything. Specifics on what they might consider were not developed in the response email from the USFS contact, but with Region 2's inclusion of anything and everything under the NSS and CRF MOU's, that's a great and inclusive starting point for all sorts of caving: exploration, mapping, inventorying, education, etc. - a precedent that pre-existed in writing and is well-understood.

Similarly, in Region 9, the VAR requested that Monongahela NF in West Virginia, a completely WNS-saturated region, re-open its caves, as keeping WNS out is no longer possible. They also extended their order temporarily, but have invited the caving community to work with them on an altered policy.

In each of these cases - Region 9 (Monongahela WNS-saturated), Region 8 (mixed WNS presence), and Region 2 (no WNS), the situations relative to the disease are different. But now, in all cases, there is active movement in the relationships with the organized caving community.

As Theresa said in her post, this is progress, albeit incremental, but progress nonetheless. A few weeks ago, there was no caving access in Region 2; now there is. While we all have our complaints ranging from the detailed to the philosophical and even to religious, let's take a moment and appreciate the perseverance of those who pushed to move the dial, especially Derek.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Aug 5, 2012 6:42 pm

Unreal.
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Postby BrianC » Aug 6, 2012 3:04 pm

It would be nice for the rest of the country to allow NSS members in public caves.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Mudduck » Aug 6, 2012 3:18 pm

BrianC wrote:It would be nice for the rest of the country to allow NSS members in public caves.

Definately! I wish the Southern Region would follow suit. For some reason it seems the South has to follow a different path than everyone else. I suspect Colorado members will be the only ones that ever get such a concession. My curiosity will be what "justifiable" reasons for caving will be allowed.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby PYoungbaer » Aug 6, 2012 4:16 pm

My curiosity will be what "justifiable" reasons for caving will be allowed

May I suggest reviewing the terms of the NSS/USFS MOU to see the wide scope of activities as well as the intent of the collaboration:
https://secure.caves.org/nss-business/bog/Append-AD.pdf

With Region 8 also indicating they would entertain proposals, I would suggest that any comments regarding their responses would only be speculation until someone puts in an actual request. Here's an excerpt from the Region 8 Closure Order transmittal message that went out from Dennis Krusac, US Forest Service Endangered Species Specialist out of Atlanta:

Folks: Please notice the wording of the order. Forest Supervisors and District Rangers have the flexibility to authorize cave entry on a case by case basis. That said, the flexibility should not be used to simply allow recreational caving. The intent is for what I refer to as caving with a purpose, inventory and monitoring of caves to help us better manage the cave resources on our national forests. I encourage you to work with your local organized caving community to gather information we need. Projects that come to my mind include cave mapping, inventory and monitoring of cave resources including photo documentation, WNS surveillance, water quality monitoring, installing data loggers to gather baseline data to help monitor effects of climate change, and cave clean-up. We need to engage the local organized caving community because we need them to understand and respect the intent of the closure. They also have skills we may not have to safely enter technically difficult caves. They need to understand the intent is not to lock-up the cave resources, but to better manage them and slow the spread of WNS.
Last edited by PYoungbaer on Aug 6, 2012 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Aug 6, 2012 4:28 pm

BrianC wrote:It would be nice for the rest of the country to allow NSS members in public caves.

That probably would boost NSS membership rolls for sure.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)