Lautenberg bill passes Senate Committee

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Lautenberg bill passes Senate Committee

Postby PYoungbaer » Jul 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-NJ's bill creating authority for the Secretary of the Interior to declare a wildlife emergency has passed the U.S. Senate's Environment and Public Works Committee. Here's a link to the press release from Sen. Lautenberg: http://www.lautenberg.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=337330&.

The Bill number is S. 357.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Re: Lautenberg bill passes Senate Committee

Postby tncaver » Jul 26, 2012 1:44 pm

That bill could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing, depending on how it is carried out and the scope of it's authority.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby trogman » Jul 26, 2012 2:08 pm

tncaver wrote:That bill could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing, depending on how it is carried out and the scope of it's authority.

I really can't think of any good in it. This amount of power in the hands of one person is not good, and it circumvents our governmental system of checks and balances.

Sometimes bad things such as this might be used for good purposes, but that doesn't ultimately justify them.

tncaver-knowing how you feel about big government, I'm rather surprised you didn't jump on this one with both feet!

Trogman :helmet:
trogman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Stephen Brewer
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Gadsden Grotto

Postby tncaver » Jul 26, 2012 3:13 pm

Here are a couple quotes from the proposed bill:
“To fight devastating wildlife diseases like white-nose syndrome, federal and state agencies, scientists, and other groups need a coordinated plan—and that’s what this legislation will help them develop,” Lautenberg said.

"Lautenberg’s bill would provide the Secretary of the Interior with the authority to declare wildlife disease emergencies, establish a dedicated Wildlife Disease Emergency Fund to understand and address disease emergencies, and provide for a coordinated response across state and federal agencies".

Perhaps you are right trogman. Past experiences indicate to me that most politicians and/or Federal office holders are not adequately knowledgeable about any specific situation to determine or take action regarding whether a wildlife situation is an emergency or to what extent action should be taken. That is what scientists, state and federal agency members and other groups are more likely to determine due to hands on knowledge in the field. Frankly, I think the USFWS reaction was reasonable at first, but as it has continued unchanged over years, I have come to the conclusion that perhaps no gov't agency is capable of making wise decisions regarding such issues. Like I said, it could be a good thing or it could be a very bad thing. We also already have the Center for Disease Control, which is probably more capable of determining any kind of emergency and the EPA who already have authority to do all kinds of things. Why muddle things up with yet another individual gov't official who could make hasty decisions? Also, when it comes time to fund anything, that is Congress's job.

trogman wrote:
tncaver wrote:That bill could be a good thing or it could be a bad thing, depending on how it is carried out and the scope of it's authority.

I really can't think of any good in it. This amount of power in the hands of one person is not good, and it circumvents our governmental system of checks and balances.

Sometimes bad things such as this might be used for good purposes, but that doesn't ultimately justify them.

tncaver-knowing how you feel about big government, I'm rather surprised you didn't jump on this one with both feet!

Trogman :helmet:
Last edited by tncaver on Jul 26, 2012 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Jul 26, 2012 5:21 pm

be afraid, VERY afraid.

Notice there is no mention of how ANY of this will actually result in a tangible, deliverable result on the ground. In terms of WNS, how many bats will this help?

PLEASE do write your Senators and beg them to kill this power-grab.

People can't "help" WNS, even the Secretery. I know all the good things this Bill says it will do. But we just have to look at history to know what it will do...add another cog in the Government machine and erode the power of the People.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby submassabielle » Jul 28, 2012 9:40 am

So would this give the federal gov't the ability to force a common WNS policy on everyone, including private cave owners? I have found, in my limited experience, that there are policy variations even from one national park to another. Some policies (not necessarily National Park policies) seem excessively strict, but others are very balanced. The WNS situation varies from place to place. I do hope that this will not open the way to making everyone take the hard-line.
submassabielle
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 63943

Postby tncaver » Jul 28, 2012 9:10 pm

submassabielle wrote:So would this give the federal gov't the ability to force a common WNS policy on everyone, including private cave owners? I have found, in my limited experience, that there are policy variations even from one national park to another. Some policies (not necessarily National Park policies) seem excessively strict, but others are very balanced. The WNS situation varies from place to place. I do hope that this will not open the way to making everyone take the hard-line.

Good question. Maybe it's time for a revolution.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)