Cave Closures - Unintended Consequences

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Cave Closures - Unintended Consequences

Postby PYoungbaer » Apr 4, 2012 11:03 pm

An excellent article by Jennifer Pinkley on the unintended consequences of cave closures in the April conservation issue of the NSS News, featuring Fern Cave, Alabama:

http://www.caves.org/WNS/Fern%20Cave%20Graffiti.pdf
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Re: Cave Closures - Unintended Consequences

Postby BrianC » Apr 5, 2012 3:40 pm

Will the media pick this up?
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Crockett » Apr 6, 2012 7:41 am

The important part of the story:

"I now wish I’d fought much harder for limited access to Fern. We should all start fighting for at least limited access for surveying and monitoring. We should offer to use dedicated cave gear for especially sensitive caves. We should always abide by decon protocols if we do get access."

I agree. The NSS should be leading the fight with training, education, programs and services that get members into caves.
Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby BrianC » Apr 6, 2012 9:52 am

Crockett wrote:The important part of the story:

"I now wish I’d fought much harder for limited access to Fern. We should all start fighting for at least limited access for surveying and monitoring. We should offer to use dedicated cave gear for especially sensitive caves. We should always abide by decon protocols if we do get access."

I agree. The NSS should be leading the fight with training, education, programs and services that get members into caves.

I'm happy to see that you agree here Crockett!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby MUD » Apr 6, 2012 9:55 am

Crockett wrote:The NSS should be leading the fight with training, education, programs and services that get members into caves.

:roll: You're kidding right? It looks to me that the NSS would rather spend our money on a fancy building for a STILL dwindling membership.
MUD
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Primary Grotto Affiliation: None

Postby Mudduck » Apr 6, 2012 2:35 pm

Cavemud wrote:
Crockett wrote:The NSS should be leading the fight with training, education, programs and services that get members into caves.

:roll: You're kidding right? It looks to me that the NSS would rather spend our money on a fancy building for a STILL dwindling membership.

I'm feeling positve today so I'm willing to take some hits. Never been to the NSS office, old or new. I have however seen pictures and a new building wasnt out of line in my opinion. In order to recruit and retain members we must present a professional and pleasing image that shows a positive and progressive attitude torwards caving. Individuals must put greivances aside and show public dedication and support. The NSS largely in my opinion lacks a unified voice. When so many speak in disgust and discontent towards an organization the negativety rapidly becomes viral. To have a future this is something that must change. Without a membership we have no voice. Without a voice we will not be heard. If we are not heard our caves will remain closed and instances such as the occurence at Fern will continue. I hear so often that the NSS should or shouldnt do this or that. We are the NSS its up to us to be persistant and lead the fight.
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Postby cavercrane97 » Apr 19, 2012 4:59 pm

I agree with both sides on this case. It would be great to support both fighting for opening caves and to build a new building, but, as the old saying goes,"money doesn't grow on trees." By building our new building, I believe we are reaching out to the public with a much more impressive office and grounds, not that the old one was really that bad. Also, we need the room. I have been to the old office and library, and it is literally packed to the roof. Everything takes time and has its ups and downs. Now is a time for the caving community to pull together even tighter to push through our troubles. Remember, we are the National Speleological Society. I am one of the next generation cavers and I will pick up where you guys leave off. The NSS will always pull through! :patriotic2:
cavercrane97
Occasional Poster

Name: Brandon Crane
NSS #: 62866
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby wyandottecaver » Apr 19, 2012 5:24 pm

I absolutely agree with Jennifer's commeents on Fern.

As for the HQ, my (dim) view of what happened is well known.

Has anyone joined ANY organization because they were impressed by a building? Country clubs come to mind, and I'm not sure that isn't the culture some are aiming for.
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)