Latest WNS Map

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Latest WNS Map

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 2, 2012 6:12 pm

Haywood County, NC CONFIRMED by SCWDS.

Preston County, WV SUSPECT.

Preble County, Ohio, CONFIRMED. From Cal Buchkoski: "At the Preble County mine, biologists have documented approximately 25,000 bats hibernating, of which 55% were little brown bats, 36 % were Indiana bats, and there were smaller numbers of tri-colored bats, big brown bats and northern bats. Samples collected in the mine were evaluated by Dr. Kevin Keel at the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study in Athens, Georgia. Histopathology confirmed observations and the presence of WNS. The mine site is gated and protected from public access."

Wayne County, KY CONFIRMED.

Here's the latest map:
Image Click image to enlarge.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Re: Latest WNS Map

Postby BrianC » Mar 3, 2012 10:19 am

It surely does appear that WNS is attracted to gated mines and caves more so than cavaholic attractions! Could it be possible that one way to scare WNS away is to humanly populate more caves and mines? Just an observation!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Andy » Mar 3, 2012 7:18 pm

I suspect the Preble County, Ohio mine mentioned is what is locally called the "Lewisburg Caves". It is one county away from me. It is a former limestone mine and the only mine in the area large enough to have so many bats. Saying the mine is gated and protected from public access is not accurate. A group runs a haunted cave tour in the mines each year and the local historical society offers mine tours. You can check it out here:

http://www.hauntedcaveatlewisburg.com/
Andy
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 29094 FL
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Dayton Underground Grotto

Postby BrianC » Mar 5, 2012 10:06 am

Andy wrote:I suspect the Preble County, Ohio mine mentioned is what is locally called the "Lewisburg Caves". It is one county away from me. It is a former limestone mine and the only mine in the area large enough to have so many bats. Saying the mine is gated and protected from public access is not accurate. A group runs a haunted cave tour in the mines each year and the local historical society offers mine tours. You can check it out here:

http://www.hauntedcaveatlewisburg.com/

So the WNS must be carried by scary people instead of cavers, wait! cavers are scary people, my bad.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 5, 2012 1:17 pm

The Preble County limestone mine is the same location as the Haunted Cave. This from the May 20, 2011 Norwalk Reflector:

The Department of the Interior U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service unveiled a plan Tuesday to stop the spread of white-nose syndrome, a deadly fungal infection detected in Ohio in March that is devastating bat populations.

Bats play a critical a role by eating insects such as mosquitoes and a large number of other insects that harm crops, scientists say.

Pest-control provided by the night-fliers saves the nation's agricultural industry at least $3 billion annually, scientific studies show.

One of the largest bat habitats in Ohio is the privately-owned Lewisburg Limestone Mine in Preble County. There, the bat population is estimated to be greater than 20,000. It's also the site of a haunted cave attraction in October.

U.S. Sen. Sherrod Brown said Tuesday that, "white-nose syndrome has wreaked havoc on Ohio's agricultural industry and this road map is a good first step in combating this disease. By bringing in federal resources to tackle this syndrome, we can protect Ohio's agricultural economy and prevent this deadly disease."

Full story here:

http://www.norwalkreflector.com/content/us-details-plan-fight-deadly-bat-disease-ohio?similar

Given the haunted cave attraction takes place late October, when bats are headed into hibernation, one wonders if the haunt will be canceled or suspended in 2012.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Mar 5, 2012 2:24 pm

That article was real B.S. It stated: "The Department of the Interior U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service unveiled a plan Tuesday to stop the spread of white-nose syndrome, a deadly fungal infection detected in Ohio in March that is devastating bat populations."

Followed by: "ODNR said people can help slow the spread of white-nose and cut down on disturbing bats by staying out of caves and mines."

The article proceeded to tell a little about WNS and not one word about what "THE PLAN" is. So, if they unveiled a plan,
they did not unveil it in the article.

Seems those guys still haven't learned that bats spread WNS and keeping people out isn't going to stop it.
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Mar 5, 2012 2:28 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:
Given the haunted cave attraction takes place late October, when bats are headed into hibernation, one wonders if the haunt will be canceled or suspended in 2012.

I sure hope that they give the thought a few years before making any cancellations! Knee jerk reactions got us where we are to begin with. There is some information that shows minimal human interference may not distress hibernating bats, but rather could exaggerate population growth. Could it be that instead of holding embryo's for the next year, the bats go ahead and give live birth after being around humans? They might want to hurry up after seeing what a mess those portrayed as their protectors have caused. I understand that bats are very smart.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Mar 5, 2012 2:36 pm

Pest-control provided by the night-fliers saves the nation's agricultural industry at least $3 billion annually, scientific studies show.

i would like to see this study! From all the information available in the last four years, that I have been able to access, any information has been from South America and some into the extreme southern US where temps are not consistent with the availability of WNS to grow. The bat losses in the WNS infected areas have not affected the agricultural industry at any level. No increased pesticide use at all. The bats in WNS areas don't provide enough insect control to even be measurable. This is a farce! This is (as far as I can research) just a ploy to enhance more research spending period. Some one please provide evidence backed up by science to prove this incorrect!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavergirl » Mar 5, 2012 2:53 pm

BrianC wrote:

i would like to see this study! From all the information available in the last four years, that I have been able to access, any information has been from South America and some into the extreme southern US where temps are not consistent with the availability of WNS to grow. The bat losses in the WNS infected areas have not affected the agricultural industry at any level. No increased pesticide use at all. The bats in WNS areas don't provide enough insect control to even be measurable. This is a farce! This is (as far as I can research) just a ploy to enhance more research spending period. Some one please provide evidence backed up by science to prove this incorrect!

Economic Importance of Bats in Agriculture
Justin G. Boyles1,*, Paul M. Cryan2, Gary F. McCracken3, and Thomas H. Kunz4
Science 1 April 2011:
Vol. 332 no. 6025 pp. 41-42
DOI: 10.1126/science.1201366

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6025/41.full

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6 ... nsion.html

cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby BrianC » Mar 5, 2012 3:47 pm

cavergirl wrote:
BrianC wrote:

Economic Importance of Bats in Agriculture
Science 1 April 2011:
Vol. 332 no. 6025 pp. 41-42
DOI: 10.1126/science.1201366

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6025/41.full

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/332/6 ... nsion.html

Chrys, I have seen all the suggestions about the subject, but where is the study? I have looked at all the use of pesticides and fertilizer facts, and there is absolutely zero increase of use in the WNS areas. There are lots of suggestions from the inquires, but how can there be all these billions of additional use when, #1 there is no additional use, #2 all studies referring to the multi billion additional use came from actual studies where bats are the number one insect predator and pollinator in and only in South America.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Mar 5, 2012 5:18 pm

PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby cavergirl » Mar 5, 2012 6:11 pm

[quote="BrianC]
#2 all studies referring to the multi billion additional use came from actual studies where bats are the number one insect predator and pollinator in and only in South America.[/quote][/quote][/quote]

"Because of regional differences in crop production, the agricultural value of bats in the U.S. Northeast may be comparatively
small relative to much of the United States (see the figure)
"Economic Importance of Bats in Agriculture

"For example, a single colony of 150 big brown bats (Eptesicus fuscus) in Indiana has been estimated to eat nearly
1.3 million pest insects each year, possibly contributing to the disruption of population cycles of agricultural pests ' ( 8). J. O. Whitaker, Jr., Am. Midl. Nat. 134, 346 (1995).

"published estimates of the value of pest suppression services provided by bats ranges from about $12 to $173/acre (with a most
likely scenario of $74/acre) in a cotton-dominated
agricultural landscape in south-central Texas " ( 12)C. J. Cleveland et al., Front. Ecol. Environ 4, 238 (2006).
cavergirl
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Chrys
NSS #: 45071
Primary Grotto Affiliation: nashville grotto

Postby BrianC » Mar 7, 2012 11:34 am

cavergirl wrote:
"For example, a single colony of 150 big brown bats (Eptesicus fuscus) in Indiana has been estimated to eat nearly
1.3 million pest insects each year, possibly contributing to the disruption of population cycles of agricultural pests ' ( 8). J. O. Whitaker, Jr., Am. Midl. Nat. 134, 346 (1995).

"published estimates of the value of pest suppression services provided by bats ranges from about $12 to $173/acre (with a most
likely scenario of $74/acre) in a cotton-dominated
agricultural landscape in south-central Texas " ( 12)C. J. Cleveland et al., Front. Ecol. Environ 4, 238 (2006).

Lets get this very straight here! The word "POSSIBLE", and TEXAS, give us the real picture. I stand strong with my conclusions!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby wyandottecaver » Mar 7, 2012 7:05 pm

O.K. this is going to sound condescending, but....If you dont speak Latin why argue about it's grammar?

I find it amusing that so many people with virtually no background in a given area of expertise point at technical "studies" and journal articles (written by and for people in those fields) to support or refute a given viewpoint. They will even do so in preference to using knowledge they are familiar with or things they themselves can observe as long as they want to support or oppose the study conclusions.

Those studies are generally intended to be used by people who can critically and objectively evaluate what was done, how it was done, and what it shows..if anything, based on a broad and in depth knowledge of the field.

Studies in a journal are not proof, or in many cases even convincing arguments to those with the expertise to judge them. History shows how the "truth" of studies are often just ignorance in pretty (and expensive) clothes.

1) Virtually every study is funded by an entity with a purpose for that study in mind. Pure science for the sake of science is virtually never that purpose despite the movies.

2) Every study is conducted by people with some kind of bias or motive. That can be fostering a certain theory or just avoiding finding the "wrong" answer that might hurt their career. It doesnt necessarily mean the study is bad, but you need to be aware that there is some kind of bias somewhere. This is where knowing who did it can be as important as what they did.

So, throw out the studies for a minute and just consider.....

1) A lot of bats dying very quickly will certainly reduce predation on some destructive insects for a SHORT period. How much damage that translates to is highly variable based on local conditions, even weather.
2) bats are only one of MANY predators of destructive insects (including other insects who can build populations rapidly). Even with no bats at all those other predators will fill the gap sooner rather than later.
3) there are places with few bats who grow crops quite well....
I'm not scared of the dark, it's the things IN the dark that make me nervous. :)
wyandottecaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby tncaver » Mar 7, 2012 7:40 pm

wyandottecaver wrote:
1) Virtually every study is funded by an entity with a purpose for that study in mind. Pure science for the sake of science is virtually never that purpose despite the movies. (I think he meant motives: TNcaver)

2) Every study is conducted by people with some kind of bias or motive.

I think the two points above pretty much sum things up. :cavingrocks:
tncaver
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Next

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)