Then where...?

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Then where...?

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Dec 2, 2011 5:38 pm

So what states CAN you cave in without being in direct violation of any closures? Is it a blanket closure for the whole U.S. except privately owned caves? My crew is ready to travel out to other states and get muddy. These closures are making it hard for any new generation of cavers... If I had any less enthusiasm about caving I would've probly said screw it at the first mention of WNS. This attitude is now long gone. If there's one good thing for cavers from these closures, it's the need to unite and share cave resources to continue. If anyone outside CO want's to plan a trip, PM. My crew of 3 are very interested in other states' karst areas. And I like to sketch, if you need some carto-help. :help:
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Re: Then where...?

Postby Chads93GT » Dec 2, 2011 5:41 pm

You can cave in any private cave that you can get permission to. That's what I do. Can't say I have ever be in a public owned cave. Except mammoth.
Chads93GT
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby SuckinOnSodaStraws » Dec 2, 2011 5:50 pm

Im sure many of the best caves are on National Forest land... Are all the Forest Land caves closed in the U.S.? It'd be pretty hard to arrange to explore a private cave that's out of state. Hard, but not impossible...
Alex Hesler
Crawlaholics
Colorado Springs Deep Caving Team
SuckinOnSodaStraws
Prolific Poster

Name: SLIM TROG [Alex Hesler]
NSS #: 64412
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Colorado Crawlaholics Anonymous

Postby Cheryl Jones » Dec 2, 2011 7:47 pm

It'd be pretty hard to arrange to explore a private cave that's out of state.

Contact a local grotto in the area you're interested in traveling to. Say you want to go caving, and ask how best to go about it in their neck of the woods and if they would help. If you're NSS members and associated with a grotto at home, you might find you have more "karst cred" with the other grotto, which could make it easier to make connections and get underground. Grottos I've been associated with are pretty good about taking visiting NSS members caving, giving them information, and getting them connected to projects.

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby PYoungbaer » Dec 3, 2011 11:01 am

Re: U.S. Forest Service cave closures: Only Region 2 continues it's blanket closure for the region. In Regions 8 and 9, closures are done by specific forest service unit, such as Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia, Hoosier in Indiana, Mark Twain in Missouri. There are no other regional blanket cave closures. In New Mexico, the National Forest units there collaborated with other state, federal, and local entities, including cavers, in developing a cave-specific closure list targeted significant bat caves. Details on all of this may be found on the NSS' WNS website.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby Teresa » Dec 3, 2011 12:12 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:Re: U.S. Forest Service cave closures: Only Region 2 continues it's blanket closure for the region. In Regions 8 and 9, closures are done by specific forest service unit, such as Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia, Hoosier in Indiana, Mark Twain in Missouri. There are no other regional blanket cave closures. In New Mexico, the National Forest units there collaborated with other state, federal, and local entities, including cavers, in developing a cave-specific closure list targeted significant bat caves. Details on all of this may be found on the NSS' WNS website.

True, but once you are on the Mark Twain, it is blanket closures to all except for the anointed ones.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cody JW » Dec 3, 2011 1:45 pm

SuckinOnSodaStraws wrote:Im sure many of the best caves are on National Forest land... Are all the Forest Land caves closed in the U.S.? It'd be pretty hard to arrange to explore a private cave that's out of state. Hard, but not impossible...
That may be true out west, but here in the east there are lots of very nice private caves. I live in Indiana and make arrangements with private landowners in TAG all the time. I have found that white pages.com can be your best friend. I have lots of old guidebooks and speleo digests and read about a cave I am interested in. Sometimes these sources will give the name of a landowner.I then go to white pages.com and type in landowner name and the nearest town to the area of the cave. Once that comes up you can get a map to the house and of course the phone #. Also if there is a cave out of your area you are interested in you may have some luck contacting grottos close to that area by using the grotto info in The NSS members manual. Also if you look at the map of the cave you may see names of the guys who mapped it and contact them via The NSS Members Manual. I have found if you contact most cavers they will help you, you may run into a few jerks but for the most part unless the cave is currently being surveyed you should have good luck contacting cavers in that area. If it is a case of the landowner not wanting visitors most local cavers will let you know.
It only takes one person to surrender a dog to a kill shelter ,but it takes many to rescue it.
Cody JW
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Jeff Cody
NSS #: 23961

Postby Mudduck » Dec 3, 2011 9:29 pm

Teresa wrote:
PYoungbaer wrote:Re: U.S. Forest Service cave closures: Only Region 2 continues it's blanket closure for the region. In Regions 8 and 9, closures are done by specific forest service unit, such as Monongahela National Forest in West Virginia, Hoosier in Indiana, Mark Twain in Missouri. There are no other regional blanket cave closures. In New Mexico, the National Forest units there collaborated with other state, federal, and local entities, including cavers, in developing a cave-specific closure list targeted significant bat caves. Details on all of this may be found on the NSS' WNS website.

True, but once you are on the Mark Twain, it is blanket closures to all except for the anointed ones.

Same where I cave (sorry caved) in Alabama
I think I can...I think I can...I think I can
Mudduck
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Bill Reed
NSS #: 60046
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Currently a Lone caver

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)