wns and caving

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

wns and caving

Postby BrianC » Nov 14, 2011 2:59 pm

I find so many instances where cavers truly believe that cavers can and do spread WNS on their gear and persons, and actually will continue to cave. What is wrong with this picture? :shrug:

I am very pleased with any and all policy's that recommend cleaning gear between trips to different locals, just by the simple spread of any organism. It just makes good sense. I have mostly always done this, and it helps prolong my gears life( we all know how costly gear can be). Decon policies bring the environment of the cave into question where by people regard the environment inside the cave as precious. In the long run, our underworld will be much happier, and so will all of us that enjoy what it has to offer.

But, again, why do so many of you continue to enter caves while the potential ( in your minds ) exists?
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: wns and caving

Postby Squirrel Girl » Nov 14, 2011 3:16 pm

If a person visits one cave, or a small area, then they aren't spreading the fungus. For instance, if all their caving is in one small county. Or they have a second set of gear for caving in a different area.
Barbara Anne am Ende

"Weird people are my people."
Squirrel Girl
Global Moderator

NSS #: 15789

Postby GroundquestMSA » Nov 14, 2011 5:11 pm

BrianC wrote:why do so many of you continue to enter caves while the potential ( in your minds ) exists?

I think a lot of people argue that the potential exists even though they think it very small. In that case it's a matter of choosing to do what you wish, or abstaining in fear of an improbable outcome.
GroundquestMSA
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby DeanWiseman » Nov 14, 2011 7:08 pm

BrianC wrote:I find so many instances where cavers truly believe that cavers can and do spread WNS on their gear and persons, and actually will continue to cave. What is wrong with this picture? :shrug:

Then there is the semantic argument: Should we be "concerned" that WNS might spread here or there?

Concerned is the wrong word. It should be "vigilant." But sitting around wringing one's hands about it doesn't do anyone any good. Especially since we're ALL supposed to decon our gear, and take precautions, and respect closures. But there's more to this:

There's also the issue of superimposing "WNS" with "G. destructans." The fungus might spread everywhere for all we know... or will ever know; But that does NOT equate with WNS. Same thing with HIV and AIDS. HIV is the pathogen and AIDS is the syndrome of the immune deficiency caused by HIV and other opportunistic pathogens.

-Dean
DeanWiseman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 32690
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Central Indiana Grotto

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)