feed the bats

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

feed the bats

Postby BrianC » Nov 9, 2011 4:31 pm

A long time ago, I could see the need to feed hibernacula hosting bats in the WNS zone mealy worms, or any food source that can provide energy to get through the hibernation period. Has this been brought to fruition in any bat research group? Has any group begun to study this potential management strategy.? This would not cost more than the food source because there are more volunteers than would be needed to help.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: feed the bats

Postby BrianC » Nov 10, 2011 10:34 am

What really gets me is; While this solution to help the infected bats survive gets little if no attention, the real problem here is; If a reasonable approach hasn't any money to offer researchers, then the researchers, who are supposedly bat lovers, ignore real help! I have no respect for those batty people.
:rofl:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Nov 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Brian,

Folks have talked about solutions such as feeding, watering, or otherwise treating bats affected with WNS since the beginning. Bat rehabilitators and other researchers surely use mealworms to feed bats in captivity while they are recuperating or undergoing experiments. However, bats generally eat on the fly, not from trays or bowls. This was one of the serious problems with the ill-fated National Zoo experiment with the Virginia Big-eared bats. They had to attempt to train the bats to eat in a way they weren't used to, just one of many issues with that experiment.

With the more recent attention to dehydration as a major issue with WNS, while bats ultimately may starve to death, interventions targeting dehydration may be of more import, at least that's one school of thought today. Just as most death certificates may say that humans die of "cardiac arrest," that's not the cause.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby BrianC » Nov 10, 2011 1:19 pm

PYoungbaer wrote:Brian,

Folks have talked about solutions such as feeding, watering, or otherwise treating bats affected with WNS since the beginning. Bat rehabilitators and other researchers surely use mealworms to feed bats in captivity while they are recuperating or undergoing experiments. However, bats generally eat on the fly, not from trays or bowls. This was one of the serious problems with the ill-fated National Zoo experiment with the Virginia Big-eared bats. They had to attempt to train the bats to eat in a way they weren't used to, just one of many issues with that experiment.

With the more recent attention to dehydration as a major issue with WNS, while bats ultimately may starve to death, interventions targeting dehydration may be of more import, at least that's one school of thought today. Just as most death certificates may say that humans die of "cardiac arrest," that's not the cause.

Virginia Big-eared bats surely have a problem with this type feeding as the experiment you quote, but that is not the case with all susceptible bats. As you stated, "Talk" has not gone any where. Why, when it will work for so many bats? Plus, it will cost so little. Compared to the 24+ million already spent, the bats could be eating like big fat cats and the rest of the money could be donated to a worthy cause, Me! I would like to spend the weekend somewhere and just relax, but I must continue to work to pay my bills, so just a few million would alleviate some necessary daily grind allowing me this time. Just ask around to see what can be done, for the bats of course, I will continue working and paying my own bills. I have put my weekend off for some time, I will also continue this.
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby BrianC » Nov 10, 2011 1:29 pm

Even more disappointing is surrendering an action because it ran into a problem! If the bats want their food on a silver platter, give it to them. Have a feeder throw the bugs up in the air if they want, just giving up and talking accomplishes what we are seeing (just throw money at it). Heck, surely a machine that will throw the food up in the air wouldn't cost 24 million? If they want their water to taste like water, then make some water. sheesh!
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby PYoungbaer » Nov 10, 2011 4:47 pm

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)