Columbia, Missouri article on WNS

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

Columbia, Missouri article on WNS

Postby Ernie Coffman » Oct 13, 2011 11:22 am

My granddaughter and family live in Columbia, Missouri, so this article is close to home. Recognize Bill Elliott and others in the article, also. Icebox Cave is closed and has been for a year plus, but it used to be a cool cave to go into.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stori ... nd-fungus/ Haven't seen anything else on WNS moving farther west, so maybe its at a standstill at this locale :shrug:
Ernie Coffman
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Re: Columbia, Missouri article on WNS

Postby PYoungbaer » Oct 13, 2011 11:32 am

As the article states, Geomyces destructans - but not WNS - was found on several Missouri bats in 2010, and one Oklahoma bat in 2010, but nothing in 2011.

That was a hopeful sign, but personally, I agree that it's far too soon to declare Missouri safe. It is still very much on the front line of WNS progression, particularly with the documented confirmation of WNS in more Tennessee sites, plus Kentucky and Indiana last winter.

With no data on bat mortalities forthcoming, it's very difficult to say whether or not the disease has slowed or is increasing. Yes, there were more individual sites and states added to the WNS list last year, but there is no uniform collection of population data despite our efforts to get that done. This is an active and ongoing discussion, and very necessary to appropriate advise management, policy, and funding decisions NOT in a vacuum.

I would urge anyone and everyone to keep asking for this data. Thank you.
PYoungbaer
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

NSS #: 16161 CM FE
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Vermont Cavers Association

Postby BrianC » Oct 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Is it possible that someone actually spread this disease, and now that the economy has slowed, they don't have the gas money to drive all over the country and spread WNS? :rofl:

Probably the best scientific hypothesis yet!

Who knows, they might have been spooked and headed south to the border. BOLO person carrying large bag of white powder near or south of the border. :rofl:
BrianC
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Teresa » Oct 16, 2011 1:54 pm

However, this article is very well balanced, and worth a look if you're used to seeing WNS howlers in the popular press.
The author manages to avoid almost all the old screeds and inaccuracies. I don't think Kirsten speaks for all Missouri cavers, but she does present the more pro-bat view accurately.
Teresa
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)