North Alabama's Fern Cave Vandalized

This is a forum intended only for discussion of White Nose Syndrome.

Moderator: Moderators

North Alabama's Fern Cave Vandalized

Postby Steve Pitts » Jul 17, 2011 1:54 pm

During a recent visit to collect specimens for scientific research, we discovered grafitti, vandalism and new evidence of recent unauthorized access to Fern Cave. We found initials and arrows carved on cave walls in one passage area leading to the summer gray bat roosting area, and another trail of arrows and markings scratched into cave walls leading all the way into Helactite Heaven, one of the most delicate and heavily decorated areas in any cave in TAG. This is a clear example for everyone that blanket cave closures put fragile karst resources, endangered species and ecosystems at greater risk by preventing intervention and monitoring of the cave by responsible permited cavers. Because of misguided policies based on ignorance and a lack awarness of best pracitices for cave management, Fern Cave has been closed by the US Fish and Wildlife Service for over two and a half years based on concerns that cavers threaten endangered gray bats that hibernate in the cave. Previous to the cave closure order from the USFWS, access management and monitoring of the cave was carried out by volunteers from the Huntsville Grotto of the National Speleological Society. During this time of consistent presence of NSS cavers, incidents of vandalism in the cave had been virtually eliminated. Now, managed, permited access for responsible cavers is prohibited, leaving the cave more vulnerable to irreperable damage than any time since its discovery. Fern Cave is the largest cave in Alabama, one of the most significant caves in TAG and home of the largest gray bat colony in the world.

Steve Pitts
Fern Cave Property Manager
Steve Pitts
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 31111
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Re: North Alabama's Fern Cave Vandalized

Postby self-deleted_user » Jul 17, 2011 3:17 pm

There is a video Aaron Bird recently put on youtube, same story, different cave (one in West Virgina iirc).

Indeed, the "funny" thing about closing caves, those of us who care pay attention and listen to the rules. Those that didn't care in the firstplace then get free reign and destroy the very thing those who truly cared were protecting. It's sad. I suspect we will see more and more of these stories as time goes on. Fern is one that I want to see someday, hopefully it won't be destroyed by the time I can :/
Self-deleted due to large troll population on the forum, and absence of moderation.
self-deleted_user
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Postby Cheryl Jones » Jul 22, 2011 3:31 pm

Sungura wrote:There is a video Aaron Bird recently put on youtube, same story, different cave (one in West Virgina iirc).

Indeed, the "funny" thing about closing caves, those of us who care pay attention and listen to the rules. Those that didn't care in the firstplace then get free reign and destroy the very thing those who truly cared were protecting. It's sad. I suspect we will see more and more of these stories as time goes on. Fern is one that I want to see someday, hopefully it won't be destroyed by the time I can :/

During the NSS Convention's WNS panel session on Tuesday, Peter Y mentioned both incidents of vandalism to the federal officials (and cavers) as an example of the consequences of only cavers/NSS members respecting closed cave directives. BTW, Peter was terrific on the panel and represented our interests well. :patriotic:

Cheryl
Cheryl Jones
Global Moderator

Name: Cheryl Jones
NSS #: 14479 FE OS
Primary Grotto Affiliation: BATS

Postby Steve Pitts » Jul 22, 2011 4:35 pm

That is extremely helpful. In the cases I am familiar with, the Federal officials responsible for these cave resources have no idea what is actually involved in proper cave management. It is absolutely impossible for *anyone* to properly manage karst resources from behind a desk. In these cases, there is no insight, no intuitive grasp and no practical knowledge to allow these individuals to make the right decisions necessary to protect and conserve fragile cave environments and endangered species habitat. The outcome of the WNS crisis is unknown, but is clear to me that a favorable outcome is more likely if Federal officials seek collaboration with the caving community. When and if they ever do that, it will be a 180 degree turn-about from what we have now.
Steve Pitts
Frequent Poster

NSS #: 31111
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Huntsville Grotto

Postby Crockett » Jul 24, 2011 11:39 pm

Crockett
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: Mike Crockett
NSS #: 33730
Primary Grotto Affiliation: East Tennessee Grotto

Postby pub » Jul 25, 2011 3:03 am

Thanks for the link Crockett, it's worth posting on CBD's SOB FB...
Balincaguin comes from the Zambal phrase, "Bali lan caguing" meaning "house of bats."
This was the former name of the Municipality of Mabini, Pangasinan, when it was part of the Province of Zambales (of Mt. Pinatubo Volcano fame).
pub
NSS Hall Of Fame Poster

Name: jerry rendon
NSS #: 61437
Primary Grotto Affiliation: Balincaguin Conservancy Grotto [Primary] + SoCal Grotto

Return to White Nose Syndrome (WNS)